TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my setup.

I have a Tivo Roamio 4-tuner Classic. My TV provider is TWC/Spectrum which requires a Tuner Adapter. I am wanting to set up a Mini. So I have the mini -- realize I need a Bridge for MoCA. So I followed "easy to set up" bridge instructions. But the Mini is still not working. GRRR

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I have the WALL Coax going to splitter A which splits to the BRIDGE and Splitter B.

Splitter B is going to the Tuner Adapter and the Cable Modem.

I hope someone can help me. I am rather frustrated that I dropped $80 on top of the $150 for the Mini and this is still not working.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,217 Posts
You do realize that the Roamio Plus has a built-in MoCA, as well as the Mini. So, no splitter is needed there. You do not need both ethernet and MoCA for the Roamio Plus (or Mini) either, but choose either one and set it up as such. You would use the MoCA adapter on the router (if its not MoCA capable) and split the coax before the TV and modem, to get a coax to the adapter, and ethernet to a LAN port of the router.

Although you would still need a splitter for the tuning adapter. Add a POE filter to that leg. Another to the splitter prior to TV/modem.

You do not need to have all MoCA for things to work. Example, Roamio can be on ethernet and Mini can be on coax/MoCA, if there is no ethernet there.

Reactions: jefftb

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Sorry - It is a Romio Series 5 -- not a plus.
All Roamios are Series 5 Apparently you have a Roamio Basic with 4 tuners which doesn't have built-in MOCA.

It's very hard to follow your set up. I think you should post a drawing.

Is your Roamio next to your modem and router? If not, you are going to need TWO MOCA adapters or bridges, one at the router/modem, one at the Roamio. If the Roamio is next to the router, then you just need one adapter at the router and modem to create MOCA and the Roamio can connect to the router via ethernet.

If you have everything set up correctly, make sure the mini is on your TiVo account and then reboot the mini and then the Roamio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for response, @UCLABB. I do have the Roamio Basic 4-Tuner. Sorry for the confusion.

The Roamio is next to the modem and router.

For some reason, MoCA is still not showing up as an option on the Roamio. I am actually not getting any network connection -- though TV is working.

I've uploaded a quick diagram of my current setup. I used this page on Tivo's website as a reference.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I'm not a great expert on this. But, I think you want the Roamio set to Ethernet since you are connecting via Ethernet to your router. When you go into Network Settings, what does it show in the brackets after "change network setting"?

·
Contentious Member
228 Posts
I'm also no expert on MoCA but I'm pretty sure the Roamio Basic only has one option - Ethernet. The Mini, on the other hand, should have a MoCA option. What you don't show on your diagram, but is important is:

* Location of each POE filter. These basically act as a wall around your MoCA network so that only devices that understand MoCA are directly connected to the coax.
* How are the WALL Living Room and WALL Bedroom connected? There must be at least one splitter connecting them.
* Are your splitters rated to handle MoCA. MoCA works at a higher frequency than standard video signals and not all splitters pass that higher frequency.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
The Ethernet from the bridge should connect to the router. It is unclear if this is so in your drawing.

Have you tried rebooting everything? Especially the router so it can pick up the Roamio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Ethernet from the bridge should connect to the router. It is unclear if this is so in your drawing.

Have you tried rebooting everything? Especially the router so it can pick up the Roamio.
I tried putting the Ethernet from the Bridge to the Router, but no success. The Tivo Diagram (see my link in last post) shows the Ethernet from the Bridge going directly to Roamio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also no expert on MoCA but I'm pretty sure the Roamio Basic only has one option - Ethernet. The Mini, on the other hand, should have a MoCA option. What you don't show on your diagram, but is important is:

* Location of each POE filter. These basically act as a wall around your MoCA network so that only devices that understand MoCA are directly connected to the coax.
* How are the WALL Living Room and WALL Bedroom connected? There must be at least one splitter connecting them.
* Are your splitters rated to handle MoCA. MoCA works at a higher frequency than standard video signals and not all splitters pass that higher frequency.
I don't have any POE filters -- nothing I read indicated I had to have them (though recommended.) I am avoiding buying anything else (Mini, Bridge, splitters, etc.) until I get some indication this is going to work!

I am not sure what is going on behind the walls -- this is a town home i bought two months ago. It was built in 2012, so I am hopeful it has the appropriate wiring.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I tried putting the Ethernet from the Bridge to the Router, but no success. The Tivo Diagram (see my link in last post) shows the Ethernet from the Bridge going directly to Roamio.
There's only one Ethernet port on the Roamio. That's for a connection to your router. The bridge needs to have an Ethernet connection to the router.

No, you won't see Moca as an option on the Roamio

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Jeff, your link was for a different situation, one where your Roamio is not sitting next to your router. Connect as I said above, Ethernet from bridge to router, Ethernet from Roamio to router. May have to reboot router for it to find the Roamio.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Got the Ethernet connections to the router in the correct ports? Cable modem line connects to the internet/wan port, the others to the LAN ports. Did you reboot the router? Even if the Moca to the mini isn't working, you would still be able to get an internet connection and make a service connection from the Roamio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Btw, are your wireless devices working, phones, tablets, etc? Just to make sure your internet and router are working.
Yep, everything is working -- except MoCA.

What should the Roamio do differently? I've had it for years and it works great, It is connected to Coax and via Ethernet. So, what should I see/do differently? Do I need to do something to the Roamio to make the MoCA work for the Mini?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.