TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just moved into a new house, and switched to a Roamio OTA connected with an antenna in the attic. I need some help in figuring out how to get the mini's connected.

Here is my setup.

Living Room -
• Roamio OTA connected to a coax that runs into the antenna in the attic.
• Frontier FIOS router (Arris NVG468MQ) is next to the Roamio OTA. The router is connected via ethernet. This router can be setup as a MoCA bridge.

Attic -
• All cable runs to each bedroom conveniently come together right next to the attic access.

Can I install a 2-way splitter behind the Roamio/Router to send MoCA up to a slitter into the attic? @krkaufman....any chance you can help me out?

·
TDL shepherd
17,530 Posts
Can I install a 2-way splitter behind the Roamio/Router to send MoCA up to a slitter into the attic?
Yep. Though you could also use an antenna/satellite diplexer, rather than the 2-way splitter, to lessen the signal loss. (SAT port to router, VHF/UHF port to DVR; more info >here<)

As for the splitter in the attic access location, with just one coax run to the DVR/router location you'd be looking at Options 1-3 in the following graphic:

Line Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern

(If you had 2 runs, Option 4 would be the way to go.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. Though you could also use an antenna/satellite diplexer, rather than the 2-way splitter, to lessen the signal loss. (SAT port to router, VHF/UHF port to DVR; more info >here<)

As for the splitter in the attic access location, with just one coax run to the DVR/router location you'd be looking at Options 1-3 in the following graphic:

(If you had 2 runs, Option 4 would be the way to go.)
Ok...so I setup everything as depicted in Option 3. Everything in option 3 is in the attic. The "to dvr" line from the diplexor is going to the jack behind the TV. At that jack, I have a splitter with one line going to the Roamio OTA and the other going to the Arris NVG468MQ. Is this all correct?

I cannot get the minis to connect to the MoCA network. Is there a setting on the router that needs to be turned on to enable MoCA use?

·
TDL shepherd
17,530 Posts
so I setup everything as depicted in Option 3. Everything in option 3 is in the attic. The "to dvr" line from the diplexor is going to the jack behind the TV. At that jack, I have a splitter with one line going to the Roamio OTA and the other going to the Arris NVG468MQ. Is this all correct?
Yes, though, as mentioned earlier, you could have used a second diplexer at the DVR/router location, rather than the 2-way splitter, to surgically redirect the signals to their respective devices, for a bit of signal savings. If the OTA signal is satisfactory, then a splitter is fine (even better, since you then don't have to worry about which port is being used, which can be confusing months/years down the road).

I cannot get the minis to connect to the MoCA network. Is there a setting on the router that needs to be turned on to enable MoCA use?
Good question; likely, but I'll need to check. Do you have access to the router's config UI?

Also, a quick test to eliminate the coax plant as the issue would be to hook a MoCA adapter or a Mini directly to the router's coax port, using a short coax cable. Once this direct test works, then you can tackle getting things working across the coax plant.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, though, as mentioned earlier, you could have used a second diplexer at the DVR/router location, rather than the 2-way splitter, to surgically redirect the signals to their respective devices, for a bit of signal savings. If the OTA signal is satisfactory, then a splitter is fine (even better, since you then don't have to worry about which port is being used, which can be confusing months/years down the road).
I only had the one diplexor, so I went with a splitter behind the TV to save some time. The signal stayed the same, so no worries there.

Good question; likely, but I'll need to check. Do you have access to the router's config UI?
Yes...I do.

Also, a quick test to eliminate the coax plant as the issue would be to hook a MoCA adapter or a Mini directly to the router's coax port, using a short coax cable. Once this direct test works, then you can tackle getting things working across the coax plant.
One step ahead of you on that one! I tried hooking the mini up directly to the router, without success.

·
TDL shepherd
17,530 Posts
I came across this thread. Is it possible that Frontier has disabled this option due to my 500/500mbps exceeding the capability os MoCA?
Frontier Fios MOCA question...
Different issue, I expect. I think I covered that >here<.

My guess is that MoCA is just not enabled by default on the NVG468MQ. (edit: Looking into it.)

(edit2: Bad guess, per your prior post)

·
TDL shepherd
17,530 Posts
One step ahead of you on that one! I tried hooking the mini up directly to the router, without success.
And accessed the Mini's network configuration page to ensure it was set to MoCA client, "Auto" channel, no privacy, etc?

I just reset my NVG468MQ to factory default, and was able to connect a TiVo Bridge to it with no problem. It took about 10 seconds for the "coax" LED on the TiVo Bridge to illuminate, indicating a successful MoCA LAN connection. (With the NVG468MQ's 'Coax (MoCA)' configuration page reflecting the status change from 'Down' to 'Up.')

edit: p.s. And the TiVo Bridge was able to link-up whether I had the NVG468MQ's 'Network Controller' setting enabled or disabled.

·
TDL shepherd
17,530 Posts
I did change this MoCA setting to enable, without success.
Yeah, disabling 'MoCA PHY Enable' killed my TiVo Bridge's MoCA link ... and re-enabling this setting, it took about 15 seconds from hitting 'Apply' for the TiVo Bridge to re-establish the link.

edit: p.s. Demerits to the firmware programmers for not listing MoCA status as "Disabled" (rather than "Down") when this setting is actually disabled.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great news! I am up and running! Bonehead move....I had the POE filter on the wrong end of the diplexor. Not sure why the mini would not work the first time I connected it directly to the router. I tried again and it worked fine. That lead me back up to the attic to review my connections. Thanks again @krkaufman ! This is the second time in 4 years that you have got me up and running with my minis. I REALLY appreciate it!

·
TDL shepherd
17,530 Posts
Ah, great to hear!

And I got some good (and bad) out of it, as well. I finally powered-up a NVG468MQ I'd bought quite a while back (good), but have found my device's firmware to be sub-optimal, per a SNB forums thread discussing the router (link):

- Being an OEM device, firmware will always be tied to Frontier's deployment timelines. For example, the previous firmware lacked the STATUS/MOCA STATUS page entirely.
Searching high and low I was unable to find a MoCA statistics page, and the above post explained why. Not sure there's any way for a non-Frontier customer to get a firmware update on one of these.
p.s. My firmware version: 9.2.0h3d58

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.