TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per te title - my /var/hack (together with tivoweb, tivowebplus, ...) has gone!

Still got telnet, ftp. Help! what's gone wrong??

SMART was ok a couple of days ago (according to tivoweb+).

Help!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don’t worry! The problem with using the /var/ directory is that if Linux finds a problem with it or it becomes too full it will delete and rebuild the contents sans of course the hack directory.

Not much you can do at this stage but start again, there have been several discussions in the past about alternative places to keep your hacks and ways of backing up the hack directory.

·
TiVoer since 11/2000
6,341 Posts
Originally posted by Chris T
Don’t worry! The problem with using the /var/ directory is that if Linux finds a problem with it or it becomes too full it will delete and rebuild the contents sans of course the hack directory.
Only the former; being too full is a TiVo urban myth. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bugger!

So the conclusion is that /var/hack (and /var/hackbak, which I cunningly made) are both gone, and it's time to d/l tivoweb, +, tivosh, and all those little things I've come to rely on ....

<sigh>

Memo to self - copy to a pc directory this time.

·
96 Posts
This is too much to be just coincidence. At the moment I fixed my rc.sysinit.author file the same thing has happened to me! All I did was download the latest listings. Oh well, time to give TW+ a go.:rolleyes:

·
A Friend of Dot
752 Posts
TW+ is fine, don't worry.

tarball can be created by moving to the /var/hack directory and entering:

tar -cvf tarballname.ext . <enter>

Note the . (full stop) and of course <enter> is pressing the enter key.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've just got tar and made this backup, thanks for the tip. Can I safely delete any .tar files in /var/hack from where I installed packages (e.g. tbin.tar, tivoweb-xx-xxx.tar, joe.tar)? I have them on my PC directiry anyway if ever I needed them.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
And if you don't have the tar executable, you should be able to get it from here.

·
TiVoer since 11/2000
6,341 Posts
Originally posted by Deadslow
This is too much to be just coincidence. At the moment I fixed my rc.sysinit.author file the same thing has happened to me! All I did was download the latest listings. Oh well, time to give TW+ a go.:rolleyes:
The /var partition gets deleted if it fails two consectutive runs of the Linux equivalent of chkdsk.

If it happens a lot it may be indicative of a disk problem.

Also, it only happens on a reboot, so your Tivo must have crashed.

·
96 Posts
Yes, it was on the (last) reboot, but the Tivo did not crash (I'm using it while rebuilding).

On a separate subject, with TW+ do you still have to change ui.itcl? Is there anything else different to TW (save fewer modules to run)? Ta.

·
Registered
388 Posts
1. Does creating a tar bar include all file permissions etc?
2. If the var area is removed do you loose access to Telnet / FTP or is this insalled in a different area?

TIA

·
TiVoer since 11/2000
6,341 Posts
Originally posted by pmk
1. Does creating a tar bar include all file permissions etc?
2. If the var area is removed do you loose access to Telnet / FTP or is this insalled in a different area?

TIA
Yes, a tar file preserves permissions, provided you use the right options.

The default of the Turbonet installer is to pyt telnet and FTP in the root partition.

·
Tivo Evangelist
332 Posts
I don't suppose anyone knows somewhere else to get the tar files from? The link above (on safepages.net) does not appear to work anymore...

·
Dark side Nrth Devon
523 Posts
here tiz

Attachments

·
Saggitarius
16 Posts
sanderton said:
The /var partition gets deleted if it fails two consectutive runs of the Linux equivalent of chkdsk.

If it happens a lot it may be indicative of a disk problem.

Also, it only happens on a reboot, so your Tivo must have crashed.
I've lost my /var/hacks directory twice already. Running 6.2 with the serial port redirect at the end of rc.sysinit. The rc.sysinit change is persisent but I lose my /var/hack directory.

Is pulling the power on the TiVo equivalent to causing a crash? Is yanking the power on a running TiVo :confused: a bad idea?

·
Yo Ho TiVo!
644 Posts
If losing the /var/hack starts to happen regularly then it's probably worth considering a cron thingy to automatically create a /var/hack archive a ftp it back to your PC. Just for peace of mind. Although when I lost my /var/hack once I found it quite therapeutic to put all the hacks back on by hand :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts