TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 years ago I bought Hughes HDVR2 with approx 40 hours of recording time. About 1 year later I added a 160 hour second drive. And just last summer I bought a DVD recorder so I could get the 200 hours of saved stuff and make more room for new stuff. Last week when I was about to watch the second episode of 24 my TiVo died. I received the dreaded gray screen and "Please wait powering up" message. So I'm thinking it might be the oldest drive. I order a replacement drive; installed it, but same message. Ok now I'm thinking it must be in the box. Maybe the motherboard, maybe the power supply, maybe the flex capacitator. Ok so I don't know what is in the box. So I went out and bought another box (Direct TV R15). Actually Best Buy paid me $1.00 to take the box off their hands.

So finally my questions. What the heck is in the box? Is there any memory? Is the operating system on the hard drive? Is the operating system on my old drive, the same as on my new drive? Can I add my 160-hour drive to my new box? Can I add my 40-hour drive to my new box? Can I replace the drive that came with my new box with the drive in my old box (I have an episode of 24 that I haven't seen)?

·
Registered
195 Posts
R15 is not a DirecTiVo, but the new DTV DVR+. Completely different boxes and OS'es. As far as I know, the R15 is not upgradable (no upgrades or hacks have been figured out on it since it just came out in November). But if you want a DTiVo to replace your HDVR2 that died, then what you got is not what you want.

The R15 is the direction that DirecTV is going now, and should (someday, maybe, if, possibly, etc) be a very good box when they work out the bugs and add some (what TiVo users consider) basic functionality. There are some cool and slick features on the R15, so you may want to give it a spin before making a decision on it. But since it is not a DTiVo, discussions about R15 are no longer hosted here since this is a TiVo board. You'll want to go over to DBStalk and check out their forums as they have an R15 specific forum now and you can read up on all fo the "features" of this box.

If you want a DirecTiVo, then you'll have to take that box back, and look at getting an R10 or a Series 2. R10's are still around in some Best Buys and Circuit Citys (and similiar) or you can call ValueElectronics... The Series 2's are harder to find, but a week ago ValueElectronics still had some new in a box (DVR80s). Weeknees also has some.

Lastly, check out the Freebies thread and see the offer for a "free" refurbished DTV receiver. These are supposed to be older Series 2's (so similar to your HDVR2) but some are getting R10's and even R15's instead (so its sort of a shot in the dark), but the price is right...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so the R15 won't work but what about a R10. I just got one of those a couple of weeks ago from weeknees for my kids. So can I replace the A drive with my old A drive on it? Can I add the second drive to the new R10 by just hooking it up? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

·
Southern Yankee
94 Posts
You may want to rethink the problem. My S1 DTivo did the same. I too had add a 120GB drive as the second. Mine flaked, I got Instant Cake and figured I'd just take the 120 drive and lose some hours but have it up and running. To my surprise, it was the "newer" 120GB that was bad. I ran diagnostics on the original and it was fine. So, I ran out and bought another 120GB drive and still used it alone for 107hr upgrade (or downgrade) all costing me $80.

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
ezywiec said:
....So I'm thinking it might be the oldest drive. I order a replacement drive; installed it, but same message.....
Did you just replace the oldest drive and leave the 160GB second drive in it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts