TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a similar situation....I have had a several problems and I believe it is related to my receiver. I've had a Hughes for 7 years or so and had never had a problem until I bought a 2nd receiver (DirecTV w/Tivo) and changed from a single LNB to a dual LNB. What I currently get is occassionally it will come up with the same blue box saying searching for signal on sat. 1 or sat. 2 (I have not paid attention, but I believe I've seen it say both). If I go to test the signal strength and go back it disappears. It seems to do it after I to certain channels. I have my original Hughes receiver on one line from the LNB and the other to a multiswitch with 2 lines going from that to my Tivo. Now, when I get the blue box the Hughes receiver was fine; however, before I got the multiswitch I would get the searching for signal on BOTH receivers. It would be very intermittent -- in fact I had a lot of problems with it and then it went away for about 2 months then started again. I put the single LNB back on and it (only attached to the TiVo) and still had problems so I don't believe it's the LNB. One other strange thing -- when I first got my new receiver and dual LNB I could not get anything, until hours of messing with it and it came on simply by pulling on one of the cables. I know, you'll say it's probably corrrosion or connection issue, but I don't believe that's the case because if so I would have some issue with the Hughes and I have not when it is on its own cable -- either one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read that somewhere, but what I read didn't make sense -- because I get all channels on the Hughes and actually have no problems. So, are you saying that the way I have it hooked up is the problem? I certainly hope so -- that would be a simple fix.....

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, I hooked it up that way (the correct way) on Friday and had no problems with it until last night (Sunday) and the signal kept getting lost on both satellite 1 and 2 on the Tivo receiver, and my second Hughes receiver. It was windy yesterday, but I really doubt that would cause it. This is so frustrating.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
They would be at 85-93, then go to 0 for a second or 2, and then back to 85-93......one time I left it on the signal test and it was at 0 for a couple of minutes, then just to 90, then back to 0.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your replies......no, there was no rain -- only really strong winds. I'm not sure how there could be moisture, and the ends are all in pretty good shape (not corroded).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem with them coming out is that it is so intermittent, I can guarantee it'll be fine when they are out and won't do anything. Just like it was fine for Saturday and Sunday (until late Sunday night) and I bet when I go home it will be fine then too. Oh well.....I will try the other stuff and just deal with it when it does it. Thanks for all of your help....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, it's me again! Those problems pretty much went away after I reset both satellite receivers and I actually added a 3rd one a few months ago. No problems at all until last week. On a clear, windless day my signal kept getting lost just like when I had it hooked up the wrong way. At one point it completely lost the signal -- all signals. So, I turned off all receivers, reset the main one and got a signal back. I hooked them all back up and it is okay most of the time but occassionally (the last few minutes of a show it seems) the picture would break up. I currently have all 3 hooked back up and haven't had much of a problem for a day or 2. When there's something I really don't want to miss I turn all 3 receivers to the same channel so that none are trying to look on different transponders. Seems to work, but then again, it works regardless most of the time. Could I have a faulty multi-switch or LNB? If that's possible, which of the 2 is likely to be the case? I cannot take it, and it's a good thing for DirecTV that cable does not come to my abode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is not a powered multi-switch. I have the 2 lines coming into the multi-switch from my dual-LNB dish, and then 4 lines going out total: 2 to my DirecTV receiver w/TiVo, 1 to a non-TiVo Hughes receiver, and 1 to my 2nd DirecTV receiver w/TiVo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for all of the suggestions.....I really don't understand it; I have not had any problems since my last post. The next time I have problems I will try to plug the lines from the LNB directly into my main Tivo receiver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.