TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
mcaulfield said:
I read that somewhere, but what I read didn't make sense -- because I get all channels on the Hughes and actually have no problems. So, are you saying that the way I have it hooked up is the problem? I certainly hope so -- that would be a simple fix.....

thanks
If I am reading you situation correctly this is your scenario:

Two lines off of the dish. One line to the standard reciever. The other line to a mulitswitch, then two lines from the m/s to the Dtivo. Is that correct?

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
Ok then, the single line coming to the multiswitch is the problem. You need two lines to "feed" into the multiswitch.

The reason for that is the receiver sends voltage "up" the line to the LNB to change the transponder from odd to even. Groups of channels are on both odd and even numbered transponders and when you Dtivo has channels on both tuners that are either even or odd everything will work fine.

However, when tuner 1 wants a channel on an odd transponder and tuner 2 wants a channel on an even transponder that is when it thinks it has lost the satellite signal. If you run both lines off of the dish to the multiswitch and then three from there to the two boxes it will work.

The multiswitch's function is to moderate the requests from the boxes and essentially reserves on line for even transponders and the other line (to the dish that is) for the odd ones. The "Sticky" at the top of the forum with the FAQ's goes into much greater detail than this overly simplified explanation.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
Could be moisture in the lines (rain with that wind?) or simply a corroded end piece. Check the connection esprecially the outdoor ones. The good noews is once you get it straight "most" people need to mess with the dish or lines rather infrequently.

Sounds like moisture if I had to guess.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
It could be worth the effort to have DTV come out and re-allign the dish (if even needed) and check everything out. Something oviously has gone amiss.

Just to check the obvious, you have no splitters, two lines from the satelitte to the multiswitch and three lines to your boxes from the multiswitch. If it were me I'd disconnect all of the lines and carefully reconnect them. Make sure no unneeded lines are connceted and see if that does the trick. Take a look at the FAQ on the top of the forum too. If no sucess, then call DTV and have them fix it...

Good luck.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
My odds would be on the multiswitch. If it is a powered one (i.e., you have to plug it in to a wall outlet), try unplugging it for a few minutes and then plug it back in.

You have to have at least five lines going from the multiswitch now (and with hesitation) I'll ask what all do you have (in terms of boxes/DTiVos and multiswitch) and how is it all hooked up?

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
I assume you signal strengths are still 90's across the board? If that is the case I try and not use the multiswitch (just two cables connected with barrel connecters) so you can have the two lines feed directly to your main system. If that does not give you problems then that pretty much makes it a multiswitch issue. If not then it should be either the other lines with a short/bad connection or even the LNB went bad (rare, but it happens).

Thoughts, anyone else? Jim Spence?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.