TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my Tivo Premiere series 4 to display better on an older Dell 19" lcd (UltraSharp 1905) monitor. I'm already using a composite to VGA adapter and it works ok. However, I get some electronic "noise" and the HD isn't quite "HD."

I looked on eBay and purchased a Tendak HDMI to VGA adapter with audio out.

It is one of the small dongle types. I was only able to see a bit of the startup screen before it went dark on me.

I know it has something to do with power requirements as well as HDCP. Is anyone currently driving older monitors with a converter box or adapter?

·
Super Moderator
59,139 Posts
HDMI and DVI are the same thing. Only difference is HDMI carries audio. You can get a simple HDMI to DVI cable for a few bucks and get perfect video. Then just use the analog audio ports like you're doing now for audio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HDMI and DVI are the same thing. Only difference is HDMI carries audio. You can get a simple HDMI to DVI cable for a few bucks and get perfect video. Then just use the analog audio ports like you're doing now for audio.
I already have a DVI to HDMI adapter plugged into the monitor. I know this works because I have a little Android "stick" computer that can drive the video.

With the Tivo, I've plugged 2 different HDMI cables into the adapter and nothing comes on-screen. If I'm "lucky" I'll see "HDMI connection not permitted." I think it's because the Dell 1905FP doesn't support HDCP. I've read about boxes that can do the HDCP handshaking before sending the video to the DVI or VGA connection. That's what I'm hoping someone has had success with.

You run a HDMI to DVI cable on a Premiere 4 to an older non-HDCP compliant monitor?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Well, there are HDMI splitters you can buy on Amazon that will strip HDCP from the signal - they only cost around $25 each, so you can buy a few to test them.

The other way is to buy an HDFury box, but they're fairly expensive, and if you're doing that, it'll be better to just buy a new screen which does support HDCP on HDMI and DVI ports.- for the price you'll get a new modern screen that's larger for the same price.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've been told this one works - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC

But I can't vouch for it as I haven't actually been able to get one (Amazon Canada doesn't carry it) nor have a way to test it. But I have heard of reports that it works great. Of course, there are dozens of others that look the same which might work (same OEM?) or the manufacturer might change the internals so that unit might not work anymore.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I already have a DVI to HDMI adapter plugged into the monitor. I know this works because I have a little Android "stick" computer that can drive the video.

With the Tivo, I've plugged 2 different HDMI cables into the adapter and nothing comes on-screen. If I'm "lucky" I'll see "HDMI connection not permitted." I think it's because the Dell 1905FP doesn't support HDCP. I've read about boxes that can do the HDCP handshaking before sending the video to the DVI or VGA connection. That's what I'm hoping someone has had success with.

You run a HDMI to DVI cable on a Premiere 4 to an older non-HDCP compliant monitor?
Did that monitor belong to your Great Grand Pappy or why are you force fitting it to an HD TiVo? Is it a Family Heirloom or what?

It only supports 1280x1024. So, once you overcome the HDCP issue, you'll likely still get a black screen or an 'unsupported format' error. Maybe it will display 720p. Most likely end up at 480p.

You've already got money invested in making it do what it can't do.

How about this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-24-class-23-8-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/7617059.p?id=1219681453581&skuId=7617059

Seriously, I've been there done that. Get a cheap widescreen monitor.

-KP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.