TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, since putting a fan under my Bolt it had been working fine until yesterday, when once again there was no signal out of the Bolt to my TV. Restarting the Bolt fixed things and I immediately checked the temperature which was 53 Degrees C, so it certainly didn't overheat. I'm starting to think the issue is something different now.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My Bolt just lost the signal to my TV again! Rebooted the box and the signal was back, the temp was 51 and definitely not a heat issue now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix? Could it be my brand new LG OLED TV causing the issue? Or maybe the cable from the box to the TV? Or is the Bolts HDMI or TV tuner going bad?

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,373 Posts
I've never had such issues but I guess you could try attaching another TV when it's in this bad state. Can you try another HDMI cable, maybe a shorter one? Is there another HDMI input on the TV you can try?

Do use standby or any of the power savings modes (Tivo Customer Support Community)? I don't. It's power saving off or me.

I go thru an old Yamaha receiver and there is a Yamaha receiver related handshake bug (the workaround about changing a setting on the receiving is ineffective). Basically, if I power on my TV and receiver too close together in time, IIRC, the TV will fallback to 720p. If want want 1080 res, I have to change TiVo's video out setting back to 1080i or 1080p. To prevent this, always have to power one on, wait several seconds then power on the other. My TV's very old though, a Samsung HL61A750 circa 2008.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of the time (I'd say about 75%), my TV reports no signal from my Bolt. I switch the TV to another input, then switch back, and that gets it working.

My TV is about 12 years old, and I suspect that its HDMI support is not fully compliant; or that the Bolt is relying on some perhaps optional aspect of HDMI compliance; I found that a Chromecast would not work on this TV, either. But my Tivo Premiere always worked fine, right up until it died a few months ago.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Most of the time (I'd say about 75%), my TV reports no signal from my Bolt. I switch the TV to another input, then switch back, and that gets it working.

My TV is about 12 years old, and I suspect that its HDMI support is not fully compliant; or that the Bolt is relying on some perhaps optional aspect of HDMI compliance; I found that a Chromecast would not work on this TV, either. But my Tivo Premiere always worked fine, right up until it died a few months ago.
I've become so used to doing that so that every time I want to watch the Bolt, I automatically turn on another input (or Activity with the Harmony remote) first and then go to the TiVo activity 2nd.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@Resist it is ridiculous. I don't know how to describe it better than what I am about to. Last year Nebraska played Northwestern. We live in Nebraska and are, predictably, Big Red fans. My son coached at Northwestern (not football). We had my son and his kids over to watch the game. The Bolt was frozen up. We had to reboot and missed the first quarter of the game!

On at least two other occasions we have had similar experiences. I know one was a Bears game and, again, we had friends over to watch. The Bolt works most of the time. But often not and it seems when it is important, it doesn't.

So what I can't describe better is, "It just seems that we can't depend on our Bolt." Whenever there is something important we want to record, I try and figure out a backup system of recording it. It's usually on FUBO live channels or we also have aanother PVR.

I should have enough confidence in the system that I don't have to always figure a backup system!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well, last night this issue popped up again after I turned on my TV, didn't have a signal from my Bolt. Had to unplug the Bolt and power it back up before the TV got a signal. This is getting ridiculous!
I'd consider purchasing a different AC/DC power adapter and also increasing the AMP Rating for the purchase. A purchase of 4A is I believe the most frequently suggested replacement.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,088 Posts
Found a thread here with others having the same issue with their Bolt and LG OLED TV, it was suggested to turn off any power saving mode on the TV. So far that seems to be working.
I have found my LG OLED to be picky about 2 Bolt behaviors, the LG doesn't like the way the Bolt comes out of standby, and the LG doesn't like it when the Bolt tries to autonegotiate resolution, my solution was set the bolt to always output 1080P and turn off power saving, it has done just fine since then.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do any of you have a firestick attached to your tv? I used to have HDMI problems then one day I decided to take the firestick off and that resolved the issue. The actual issue was the firestick attached to the tv using the firestick regular power plug. I hooked up the firestick to a usb input to power it and I have haven't had HDMI issues since. That was over 6 months ago.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have found my LG OLED to be picky about 2 Bolt behaviors, the LG doesn't like the way the Bolt comes out of standby, and the LG doesn't like it when the Bolt tries to autonegotiate resolution, my solution was set the bolt to always output 1080P and turn off power saving, it has done just fine since then.
I did that a long time ago, and why I'm shocked the issue popped up again.

The suggestion about changing the power adapter seems odd to me. I don't see how that would make any difference.

And no, there is no Firestick attached to my LG OLED TV.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The suggestion about changing the power adapter seems odd to me. I don't see how that would make any difference.
HDMI 'handshake' has always been mentioned as dependent on quality of DC power. I believe that I've even seen it mentioned here in the 'Community'! Odd? You're the guy with the issue. Check post #32. Is there an AVR between your Bolt and the LG?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Maybe adding a quality UPS device to the mix will help. I've always used a UPS device to my Tivo and TV. Won't pay for a UPS that generates a pure sine wave (don't need it.) But I don't buy a cheap one too.

Be Safe...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The issue happened again last night and the only thing that got the signal back was to unplug the Bolt and then plug it back in, letting it restart.

The HDMI cable isn't the problem as it's a high quality cable. I do have a quality UPS providing power to the LG TV and to the Bolt. I never had this issue with the same setup using my previous Tivo. Just seems like the Bolt has been plagued with issues more than any other Tivo. And Tivo won't acknowledge the problems. I've spent thousands of dollars over the years on Tivo products, but I just might have reached my limit of tolerance with them. If only there was a better DVR solution on the market.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I ain't sayin' it will fix it BUT I believe a Bolt has a 3.0A Power Adapter that's 5.5/2.5. Try to buy a 4.0A and try it. The Tivo start should actually probably stress the adapter more than just a select change but there's of course another 'option' - B****, Resist and blame TiVo!!

Is this a newer Black Bolt?

If you use an AVR put it between the Bolt and your display! Just sayin'

I have a Darbee DVP-5100CIE that had an occasional issue 'similar' to yours. That was Darbee's suggestion to me. That's been nearly 2 years.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts