Votes: 291 14.9%
  • Had Failure on More than 1 unit - Made in Mexico

Votes: 74 3.8%
  • Do Not have HDMI/DVI Connection - Don't know if it works

Votes: 421 21.5%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
I've had mine for 2 weeks, but I'm reserving my vote for now. I've read in another thread that just before someone's HDMI went out, they temporarily saw a picture with "snow" on their television. I've seen this occurence twice now and it makes me shudder. It really makes me uncomfortable to read stories of people having no problems at all, then all of a sudden the HDMI goes out.

Does DirecTV offer any component protection plans with their monthly service? I've looked around their website, but didn't really see anything. I almost never purchase an "extended warrenty" option. But, given the reported failures and the price of this box, I think I would like one.

· Registered
45 Posts
I wanted to share with you what I did to correct this problem. My results were based on pbolya's success discussed earlier in this thread. My HDMI stopped working after the addition of the TwinBreeze last week, I've since been using component. I decided to try a few things tonight. First I removed the screws anchoring the HDMI card and unseated the card from the circuit board. I then re-seated and tried applying pressure to different points on the card, none of which resulted in a picture.

I then straightened the anchoring pin and applied forward pressure on the card with a small screwdriver. When pressure was applied about 7/8 down the back of the card, the picture came on. I then took a small peice of metal and wedged it between the anchoring pin and the HDMI card. Presto, picture. My picture has been very stable since. I've unplugged the HDMI cable several times and always get a picture when I re-insert the cable.

I'm not trying to advocate that any of you do this, but for those of you who have already voided your warranty, I give you the solution which worked for me. Be very careful tinkering inside your Tivo if you have power going to it. I got a jolt when sliding the lid back on. I did take a picture so you can see what I did, but I can't get it posted. I will forward it to anyone who wants to see it.

Now, about those darn logos....

Cheers,
Falstaffpac

· Registered
45 Posts
Not that I'm not thrilled to hear this, but what about anyone whose HDMI died of "natural causes" and not due to an upgrade?
I feel I should clarify my statement. I do not wish to implicate the TwinBreeze as the cause of my HDMI failure, although I think it contributed to it. As you know, others have had their HDMI fail without upgrading. When placing the TwinBreeze into the Tivo, I bumped the HDMI card and I believe this is all that was necessary for it to stop working.

I'm happy with my TwinBreeze. I have used Weaknees products in the past and expect to in the future.

· Registered
45 Posts
I have duplicated pbolya's results. I believe pbolya said he knows of 4 others who have had success with this. I wedged a small silver peice between the pin and the daughter card with the pressure point about 7/8 down the length of the card. I've not had a single problem since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.