TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am about to upgrade my Tivo 250G HDD to 400G (Samsung). Have still got the MFS CD from when I went to 250G and am guessing it will still be good for 400G?

I also want to keep my existing recordings so my plan is: to have the 250G drive as Primary IDE Master and the new 400G drive as Secondary IDE master. Boot from the MFS CD and use the following command to stream the old drive to the new drive...

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | restore –r 4 -s 300 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

Is that correct?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cwaring - Have got the MFStools2 LBA48 Cd from when I went to 250G so should be ok for 400G then.

blindlemon - Interesting point about copykern. I did wonder if it was needed or not. The 250G had copykern done on it and I was assuming that the backup/restore would copy the patched kernel across. No plans for a B drive yet but who knows? Next step mode0!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's interesting. Have got everything setup. MFStools2 has detected the new 400G drive. I type in the backup | restore command and it says...

Uncompressed backup size 227936 megabytes
Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the reason...

It's because you already filled up the partition table when you expanded to the 250. You can not expand again to the 400.

Just have to find a way round it to save the recordings.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well all the blurb said WinMFS supports S1 UK tivo and it did copy across a large chunk of stuff but when put back into tivo, it got past the cachcard load and the almost there then hung - no tivo startup movie :( :(

However, tivoweb is up and tivo is recording but there is nothing on the TV screen (SCART output).

The original Tivo HDD still works though :) :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pete77 said:
May be try messaging Spike on the forum at mfslive or start a thread there about using WinMFS to upgrade UK Tivos. He is usually very speedy and helpful in responding.

You could always message Spike asking for a link to the last version of the MFSLive CD Beta as that definitely seemed to work expanding partitions on our UK S1 Tivos.
Spike suggested using mfslive and using dd which worked but I still only had a 250G tivo image on the 400G drive. Spike then suggested using mfsadd to expand the disk but this didn't seem to work and now I get GSOD when using the 400G disk.

Will have to put original disk back in for now. Am off on hols so at least Tivo can record onto the 250G drive. Will revisit the upgrade when I get back.

Edit: While typing this post, the GSOD fixed itself and Tivo seems to be working and it has found the extra disk space :) :) 135 hours at best (459 basic).

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I thought dd would make a 'mirror' image of the original 250G drive so the LBA48 kernel and the swap partition would be copied across. Which is what appeared to be the case after dd had finished (I had a 250G tivo on a 400G drive).

However, trying to add in the extra space with mfsadd resulted in a hiccup which GSOD seems to have fixed. The recordings already exceed 137G and the swap size of 300 is fine for a 400G drive so no concerns there and everything is working fine after a week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.