TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
I would use 450mb swap for a 400gb drive to give myself the option to add a 500gb "B" drive later - YMMV though :)

Don't forget to run copykern or tpip after the upgrade is finished to correctly initialise the swap. (The LBA48 kernel copied from your 250gb drive will be overwritten with a new one if you use copykern, but who cares?)

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
johala_reewi said:
I was assuming that the backup/restore would copy the patched kernel across.
Yes, it will, but MFSTools 2.0 on the 'normal' LBA48 CD won't initialise a swap > 127mb correctly. For that you need tpip (which is run by copykern).

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
MFSLive is good when the source drive has errors or you need the -F option to expand the 3rd partition.

Otherwise I prefer the 'normal' LBA48 CD as it has copykern - which MFSLive doesn't - so you don't have to re-boot from another CD to install the LBA48 kernel.

-r2 vs. -r4? I've never noticed any difference, except that -r4 allows you to create partitions > 274gb.

However, if you want to use MFSLive and -r2 and then re-boot from the LBA48 CD to install the LBA48 kernel, be my guest :)

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
Pete77 said:
You could always message Spike asking for a link to the last version of the MFSLive CD Beta as that definitely seemed to work expanding partitions on our UK S1 Tivos.
johala_reewi - you have PM :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.