TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my HD Tivo has gone south: it keeps rebooting on it's own: I have the D* service plan and a replacement is on it's way

Question: I added a second hard drive when I got the unit in Jan 2004 so I plan to remove it when I do the swap: is there any way I can tell if it the base unit or the added drive that is causing the problem other than just reinstalling the second drive in the replacement?

also: does D* usually send a refurb or a new unit in a case like this?

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is software to check the hard drives from manufacturer. It is probably the original WD drive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the same problem a couple of months back. In my case, however, it was my added drive and not the WD original. Mine wouldn't even reboot - I could hear a "clicking" noise on the unit. When I tested both drives, it turned out the one making the "click" was the added drive.

·
Registered
459 Posts
scooby_doo_53 said:
I had the same problem a couple of months back. In my case, however, it was my added drive and not the WD original. Mine wouldn't even reboot - I could hear a "clicking" noise on the unit. When I tested both drives, it turned out the one making the "click" was the added drive.
Same here. I sent mine back to Weaknees for a reformat and they told me that the drive had bad sectors. They replaced it for a fee, since I was out of the 6 month warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.