TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called D* and asked if the HD NFL games would be broadcast in mpeg2 or mpeg4. After being on hold for several minutes the rep came back and told me that D* has not made a decision but more than likely they would be mpeg4.

She then tryed to get me to upgrade to the hr20.

I called back and asked for a supervisor and he basically said the same thing, probably LIMITED HD in mpeg2.

Does anyone have actual confirmation if hr10-250 users that have the sunday ticket and superfan will get ALL available HD NFL games?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Unless they plan to give out thousands of free receivers in the next 3 weeks the games will be in Mpeg 2. They may also broadcast them in Mpeg 4. I still have 2 HR10s and am planning on using them for the games, we should be OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,430 Posts
joed32 said:
Unless they plan to give out thousands of free receivers in the next 3 weeks the games will be in Mpeg 2. They may also broadcast them in Mpeg 4. I still have 2 HR10s and am planning on using them for the games, we should be OK.
I tend to agree with you. Although I do wonder how they will handle the extra 2-3 HD games a week from CBS. Will they have to relegate some of the games to Mpeg-4 or will they have enough bandwidth in Mpeg-2 format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
The NFL ticket is a HUGE selling point for D*, and they know this. There is no way that they are going to piss off one of their most targeted groups of subscribers right before the start of football season. Foot ball season is so important to so many people that you just cant mess with it. Nothing will INFURIATE a huge number of people more than messing up things with the NFL Ticket.

So, do you think they would really put those nfl games in MPG4 only?

I seriously doubt it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hoopsrgreat said:
The NFL ticket is a HUGE selling point for D*, and they know this. There is no way that they are going to piss off one of their most targeted groups of subscribers right before the start of football season. Foot ball season is so important to so many people that you just cant mess with it. Nothing will INFURIATE a huge number of people more than messing up things with the NFL Ticket.

So, do you think they would really put those nfl games in MPG4 only?

I seriously doubt it.
I hope you're right. My gut tells me at best only partial mpeg2 HD games this year though. That would really suck. I hope my gut is wrong........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
benfiel604 said:
I hope you're right. My gut tells me at best only partial mpeg2 HD games this year though. That would really suck. I hope my gut is wrong........
I spoke to someone who claimed to be a supervisor earlier in the week when I was ordering a couple HR20's to go along with my two 10-250's. He told me that the HD games would definitely be Mpeg2 this year, but next year is an unknown. Not way to be 100% sure, but he came off as very knowledgeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
If the choice is not show the game in HD because of MPEG2 constraints, or show overflow games in MPEG4, they better be doing the latter. I don't care who it pisses off, because I'm sure the CBS AFC games are the ones that would get the ax--which are the ones I'm interested in--and people have had plenty of notice about this.

Somehow they managed to keep 2 MLB HD streams going this year with only MPEG2, so maybe they will figure out a way to keep everybody happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
hoopsrgreat said:
The NFL ticket is a HUGE selling point for D*, ...There is no way that they are going to piss off one of their most targeted groups of subscribers...
You obviously haven't dealt with their customer service department. All kidding aside, They screwed up my account so badly I'm afraid to call to see about the cost for leasing an HD receiver for the NFL season. Looks like I'll have to deal with the NFL in SD this year.

Spark Jonz
Tivo Series 3
RCA Directv Rec'rs w/NFL Ticket Only
Pioneer PDP-5070HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called again and got all the way to retention and asked if they would guarantee the HD games would be broadcast in mpeg2 and they said "no guarantee." The only way to guarantee I would get the HD games is to upgrade to the hr20. I'm starting to think there could be a problem for hr10 owners this year which would really bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Why not hedge your bets by getting the HR20 for free while you can? You would also get another 50 extra hours of HD storage and two more tuners.

Users with sports packages are reporting getting HD free for a year as well as free HBO, Showtime, etc.

Here is a summary of how others are doing it.

Maybe you might like the extra 70 HD channels as a part of the deal?

- Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
E. Shanks at D* say's this:
* The new HDTV channels will be on DIRECTV's new satellite, launched in July, and will transmit in MPEG4. However, the NFL Sunday Ticket's lineup of HDTV games will remain on DIRECTV's current satellites and will transmit in MPEG2.

But Shanks said DIRECTV will not need to drop an existing HDTV channel from the lineup to make room for the high-def games each Sunday, as it did last year.

"We will do some shuffling to make room, but there will be no dropping of HD channels like last year," he said.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvhdtwo082907.htm
:)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top