TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
thxs for the pics. i have been searching for pics of the MS DVR software to see how close it looked to UTV. doesn't look that similar to me.

you said it doesn't have wishlists, but does it have season pass functionality?

·
Heavy User (of TiVo)
990 Posts
mavsman78 said:
I've written a review and comparison of the Hughes HD DirecTivo and the Verizon FiOS DVR on my blog. I've included close-up pictures with links to hi-res and Tivo comparison shots. Check it out and let me know if you'd like to see or know more about anything else: http://kevinrossen.com/2006/01/28/goodbye-directv-hello-fios-tv/
I will be interested in hearing about the reliability of scheduling and recording programs, especially "Season Pass" style.

The Motorola 6412 with Microsoft Software being tested in Washington State by Comcast is full of bugs that have resulted in many missed recordings.

For me, that would be a serious showstopper. Even if TiVo (HD and SD from DirecTV) is slow, it is VERY reliable--something that competing cable and satellite DVRs have yet to achieve. UltimateTV and Replay came closest IMHO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slocko said:
you said it doesn't have wishlists, but does it have season pass functionality?
Yes it does. It's a fairly decent "season pass" manager and seems somewhat equivelent to Tivo. You can set the priority for each series (which tells the DVR what to do in case of conflicts). You are also able to set start and end times (up to 15 minutes early, 120 minutes later), save (erase when space is needed or only when manually deleted), type (new episodes, new & rerun, all shows & duplicates), record at (specific time only or anytime on scheduled channel), and number of episodes to keep.

Budget_HT said:
I will be interested in hearing about the reliability of scheduling and recording programs, especially "Season Pass" style.
swifty said:
Thanks for the pics and review. Could you update us in a few weeks when you've had some time to use it?
I'm planning on writing another review after about 10-15 days of using the DVR. So far it hasn't seemed to be buggy at all. I will pay attention to see if it misses any scheduled recordings and also see if there's anything that is annoying or especially useful.

·
What happened, TiVo?
3,638 Posts
Who cares.

The Tivo Series 3 will work with FIOS TV. Why would you use anything else?

(and until it's available, anything else is a stop-gap.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
AbMagFab said:
Who cares.

Has this been confirmed? Will the Series III work with FIOS TV?

·
What happened, TiVo?
3,638 Posts
Tivo announced at CES this year. Not rumor. Will be out by Holiday season, hopefully sooner. Dual HD cable-card box, supports CC 1.x and 2.x. And full Tivo software.

FIOS looks like a cable company internally, and support CC, just like any cable company. Not sure if they support CC 2.x yet, but I hope so.

(The 6412 is also a standard cable DVR, just FYI.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I looked in to ordering FIOSTV they told me they do not support any cable-cards at this time. I live in Murrieta CA and FIOSTV was going to start Jan/31 but it has not happened yet. I am looking forward to kicking D* to the curb. After more then10 years of lies and broken promises I am done with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I appreciate this side-by-side comparison. I'm struggling with which way to go for HDTV (D* vs. Comcast vs. FIOS). I have D* with 2 DTivo's right now and I can't imagine losing all the functionality of a hacked Tivo. But I'm not thrilled with what I've read about the D* HDTV "value" (quality vs. price).

We're fortunate to have FIOS in town (hooked up FIOS internet last year). Waiting for word on when they'll roll out the FIOS TV service.

I'm really intrigued by the possibility of a Tivo S3 unit with FIOS CableCard. Of course all of this uncertainty just makes me postpone purchase of an HDTV unit.

Look forward to an update on the comparison by OP after a few weeks of use.

Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
tmembrino said:
I'm really intrigued by the possibility of a Tivo S3 unit with FIOS CableCard. Of course all of this uncertainty just makes me postpone purchase of an HDTV unit.
Tim
My thoughts exactly. I am now in a waiting mode until....

FIOS TV comes to town &
They come out with a cablecard 2.0 interface &
the Tivo S3 arrives.
(This is the one I am really hoping will happen soon.)

Or...

D* comes out with the HR20 and it gets better reviews than the HR10-250.

Neither a bad D* HD-DVR nor what V* is currently using interest me very much.
Hopefully one of the above scenarios pans out, or I don't know what I'll do!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
AbMagFab said:
Who cares.

Anyone who doesn't want to shell out $500-$1,000 (or whatever the series 3 will cost).

·
Registered
690 Posts
$500 for me is a no brainer. I need two of them. More than that and it would have to be pondered.

NYHeel said:
Anyone who doesn't want to shell out $500-$1,000 (or whatever the series 3 will cost).

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
NYHeel said:
Plus pay TiVo sub fees on top of that. Also, let's not forget many products showcased at CES never make it to market. Those that do, often arrive late.

·
Registered
16 Posts
AbMagFab said:
...Will be out by Holiday season, hopefully sooner....
That's an awful lot of confidence. Does anything really hit the market when they say it will? Especially with this much advance notice?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
mavsman78 said:
I've written a review and comparison of the Hughes HD DirecTivo and the Verizon FiOS DVR on my blog. I've included close-up pictures with links to hi-res and Tivo comparison shots. Check it out and let me know if you'd like to see or know more about anything else: http://kevinrossen.com/2006/01/28/goodbye-directv-hello-fios-tv/
Hi mavsman78,

I am very interested in your posts as FIOS should be coming to my area soon. I currently have the HD Tivo, but the limited national HD channels and the rising costs make FIOS very attractive! I am NOT a Tivo fanboy and the ONLY reason I got it as it was the only practical solution at the time. When FIOS is up and running, and has all the features you have (specifically the HD DVR) I will switch in a heartbeat!!

A question. Its my understanding, and your posts and pictures seem to confirm, that basically the fiber comes into the house goes, to some equipment and then outputs to the various house hold stuff. For the phone its a regular wire connection into the wires already running to the phones. For internet its a Cat-5 network connection. And for TV its a coaxial cable. Is this all correct?

Thanks,
Gerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
What exactly does FIOS stand for? The verizon website was not very clear. Does any one know in what region is Verizon? The NewYork area?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
garywj said:
I live in Murrieta CA and FIOSTV was going to start Jan/31 but it has not happened yet.
How did you find out this info?

I figure start up will be similar to Beaumont. Yahoo.com had FIOS TV listings for Beaumont before service was started. I think once Yahoo has added the TV listings for Murrieta, start up will be close.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts