TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an hd-capable (w/o HD tuner) TV. I had heard that the Series 3 had built-in HD tuners. Does this mean that it will automatically provide me with HD when I run the digital cable signal through it? Or do I still require an external HD receiver/decoder? The question seems straightforward enough, but I can't find the answer anywhere...

·
Registered
94 Posts
OGMustard said:
I have an hd-capable (w/o HD tuner) TV. I had heard that the Series 3 had built-in HD tuners. Does this mean that it will automatically provide me with HD when I run the digital cable signal through it? Or do I still require an external HD receiver/decoder? The question seems straightforward enough, but I can't find the answer anywhere...
Yes, the TiVo will operate as your HD tuners. If you connect your television to the HDMI or component outputs of the TiVo, you can watch HD programming if your cable package includes it (or if your cable provider doesn't encrypt it). In a nutshell, your TV will act as a passive "monitor" or display for the HD signals coming out of the S3.

I have to pay extra for HD from my cable provider; additionally, I needed to have my cable provider install 2 "CableCARDs", one for each tuner, which permit my S3 to decrypt the protected HD and movie channels they offer. I'm not sure, but it's possible you might be lucky and be able to get some HD channels for free from your cable provider without CableCARDs, but you should look into that.

You can also connect an antenna to the S3 and watch "over-the-air" HD programming for free.

-B

·
Registered
156 Posts
As it has already been said, the TIVO S3 will be your HD tuner. I have a 4 year old Sony HD TV and it does not have HDMI inputs, only DVI. If your TV does not have HDMI, you can buy a cable with an HDMI conector on one end and DVI on the other.

If you use component or HDMI to DVI cable, you will need to have the sound sent through the analog or optical output on the TIVO. I have my TIVO connected to a Denon 5800 via the optical connection, so the Denon can decode Dolby Digital soundtracks found in many programs.

My experience with CableCards installation was not smooth, though after several trips, several cards and lots of patience, it finally worked. After 2 years, having experienced the Comcast to TimeWarner switch, and not happy with TWC service, high prices, charge for everything and very few HD channels, I have decided to drop cable and just get my local over the air channels.

The moment I removed the Cable Cards the TIVO detected the change, asked to repeat the setup, and I was receiving OTA HD in less than 5 minutes! And do not forget, though there is only one antenna input, the TIVO still can record 2 channels simultaneously! Plus all my season passes moved to the new channels w/o any problems.

IMHO, OTA HD quality is better than cable.

·
O2->CO2 Converter
2,657 Posts
OGMustard said:
Awesome guys, thanks for your help. I spent an hour googling trying to find that out.

Follow-up: What kind of antenna will work? Like a $20 rabbit ear one from Best Buy?
Check out antennaweb.org - you put in your address and it tells you where the TV stations are and what kind of antenna you need.

If you want to post the information you get there, I'm sure folks would happily recommend a particular antenna of the style you require.

It's also worth checking out avsforums.com, they have a HD reception forum with threads for the whole country. Check out the thread for your area to get actual commentary from folks in your area.

Don't let the cable cards scare you, either. Most folks don't have any trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.