TiVo Community Forum banner
481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
Palindromer
21,811 Posts
Being a comic writer doesn't necessarily give her incite on the industry, at least not as a whole.
We are all a sum of our experiences... So yeah... her being a comic writer by itself is not so interesting I suppose... But she has a lot of other experiences that augment her comic writing experience... She seems well networked and well connected... And all of that brings a certain level of experience and background that I do not have... She also spends a lot more time thinking about this stuff than I do...

Not to say her word is gospel... It's just filtered through her experiences and her focus on these matters...

That said, if you look at comments on your YouTube page, there is a LOT of hate out there for her as well... (which begs the question why they are bothering watching her videos and burning calories posting their hate?)...

Anyway... I always find value in what she shares...even if I don't end up agreeing with some of it...

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
We are all a sum of our experiences... So yeah... her being a comic writer by itself is not so interesting I suppose... But she has a lot of other experiences that augment her comic writing experience... She seems well networked and well connected... And all of that brings a certain level of experience and background that I do not have... She also spends a lot more time thinking about this stuff than I do...

Not to say her word is gospel... It's just filtered through her experiences and her focus on these matters...

That said, if you look at comments on your YouTube page, there is a LOT of hate out there for her as well... (which begs the question why they are bothering watching her videos and burning calories posting their hate?)...

Anyway... I always find value in what she shares...even if I don't end up agreeing with some of it...
Well you go ME to watch her :) Or someone did on here anyway.

The problem I have with so many "online" pundits in all areas of the media (and I use that term VERY loosely) Is there are a LOT of people who pass themselves off as "experts" and it's sometimes hard to tell who's legit and who isn't. And people "follow" other people who really have no credentials because they agree with their POV. So when I read tweets posted in place like this forum, I usually look up who they are (if that's even possible sometimes). If they have credentials from Everyone today fashions themselves as a "media star"

·
Palindromer
21,811 Posts
Well you go ME to watch her :) Or someone did on here anyway.
LOL... Yeah, it's highly likely it is me... Most can't get past her chalk scratching voice pitch!!! I was one of them until I spent some "quality time" with her content... Now I don't notice it much and have determined that it is her "broadcasting voice"...much like now reporters and anchors have their own broadcast voice... I guess it is part of her "brand", and you can never forget it once you've heard it!

And people "follow" other people who really have no credentials because they agree with their POV.
Yup... It's a phenomenon called "confirmation bias"... And most are guilty of it to some degree... LOL...

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
So do I. She's part of the entertainment press pure and simple. She gets access to press screenings and advanced streaming previews, and is subject to NDA / blackouts just like conventional TV/print media reporters. It's clear that enough in the industry take her seriously. She isn't a rumor mill like AICN was, and I feel she is far more professional than the average YT movie geek spouting rumors and whackjob theories.

But I almost never agree with any of Grace Randolph's actual TV/Film reviews. There's far too much "fan" in them than actual criticism.

·
Palindromer
21,811 Posts
So do I. She's part of the entertainment press pure and simple. She gets access to press screenings and advanced streaming previews, and is subject to NDA / blackouts just like conventional TV/print media reporters. It's clear that enough in the industry take her seriously. She isn't a rumor mill like AICN was, and I feel she is far more professional than the average YT movie geek spouting rumors and whackjob theories.

But I almost never agree with any of Grace Randolph's actual TV/Film reviews. There's far too much "fan" in them than actual criticism.
I really appreciate her reviews/reactions (even if I sometimes disagree with her opinions)... She always is able to give her viewers historic comic backstory references and Easter Eggs... She often will talk about references in the shows that harken back to a single back issue of a lesser-known comic book title...

·
wait.. I did what?
15,135 Posts
LOL... Yeah, it's highly likely it is me... Most can't get past her chalk scratching voice pitch!!! I was one of them until I spent some "quality time" with her content... Now I don't notice it much and have determined that it is her "broadcasting voice"...much like now reporters and anchors have their own broadcast voice... I guess it is part of her "brand", and you can never forget it once you've heard it!
Karina Longworth of the "You Must Remember This" podcast is my entry on that list, her podcast voice and inflection are torture, but her content is amazing, so I keep listening. Recently she's done a few episodes where she's lowered the intensity of her "podcast voice" and she's a joy to listen to and has a very nice voice, so I don't get why she does the weird inflection podcast voice.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Edit: Old new you’re all probably aware of by now:

“HBO Max has a competitive feature set, but it has had performance and customer issues,” He went on to claim Discovery Plus has a better tech stack and would become the core of the new service which will combine the content of HBO Max with the content and tech of Discovery Plus.”

Yeah, no customer or service issues on D+ because nobody streams Discovery+😁

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
It's simple math, and that will show whether it makes sense for each individual:

Fee is $95/yr. You get an extra 3% on groceries (capped at $6K of purchases), 5% on streaming, and 1% on gas. For me, that's $237 more than the regular card, for $95. My total rebate has been $490 L12M. My mistake is I passed the $6K grocery limit, and kept using the card. I should have switched to another card for groceries at that point.😡

It's worth it to do the math.
I was diddling around on the Amexco site, and I saw this:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

I pay $8/m for Disney+. The bundle is $14. $6 more a month. Amex will give me a $7 monthly credit if I bill it thru their card.

I can add Hulu and save $1/month?!? What am I missing?

·
Registered
6,874 Posts

I don’t think these particular shows are a huge loss, but I don’t like the trend if they’re just gone and not available elsewhere. I did like genera+ion, and I might try to catch Infinity Train before it goes away.

·
UHD Addict
24,275 Posts
I just cancelled my HBO Max subscription. It ends in seven days. I already watched Peacemaker and Westworld. Now I just need to watch the Chernobyl mini-series. After that, there is nothing else I want to watch on HBO Max now.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,197 Posts
HBO Max Save 40% off HBOMAX when you subscribe for a year
Of course this offer appears just after I re-upped for a year!

Combine this with he $25 rebate from Amex nd you're payong $80 for a year ad-free - and they're not removing the channel until after next summer. Of course we don't know what content will be available by then.

·
UHDTV Snob
13,682 Posts
I just cancelled my HBO Max subscription. It ends in seven days. I already watched Peacemaker and Westworld. Now I just need to watch the Chernobyl mini-series. After that, there is nothing else I want to watch on HBO Max now.
House of the Dragon?
Of course this offer appears just after I re-upped for a year!

Combine this with he $25 rebate from Amex nd you're payong $80 for a year ad-free - and they're not removing the channel until after next summer. Of course we don't know what content will be available by then.
Ugh...same here! :mad:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
HBO Max has yanked 200 episodes of 'Sesame Street'
It'd take Count von Count quite a while to tally up all the content Warner Bros. Discovery has removed.

The platform yanked the Sesame Street episodes in the same week it removed dozens of other shows, including 20 original series (such as animated programs). While it's common for titles to cycle in and out of streaming services, it's rare to see exclusives going away. That's becoming increasingly par for the course at HBO Max.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
HBO Max has yanked 200 episodes of 'Sesame Street'
It'd take Count von Count quite a while to tally up all the content Warner Bros. Discovery has removed.

The platform yanked the Sesame Street episodes in the same week it removed dozens of other shows, including 20 original series (such as animated programs). While it's common for titles to cycle in and out of streaming services, it's rare to see exclusives going away. That's becoming increasingly par for the course at HBO Max.

Oh no. That only leaves 456 episodes of Sesame Street. Pretty much every outlet reporting it used a similar headline to grab attention. For the majority of series out there, removing 200 episodes would mean removing the entire series. But in the case of Sesame Street, it's less than a third. Plus, to my knowledge, Sesame Street is still in production.

481 - 500 of 515 Posts