TiVo Community Forum banner
461 - 480 of 515 Posts

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,197 Posts
My annual $149.00 renewal is coming up on August 9th...

Trying to figure out if I want to commit to the year, and save the 20%... Or go month to month...

I know that I want to finish up Westworld S4 (which I am really enjoying)... And I definitely want to watch the Game of Thrones prequel series...
If you have Amex rewards, there's a $25 statement credit available for spending $99 or more on HBOMax.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Palindromer
21,811 Posts
If you have Amex rewards, there's a $25 statement credit available for spending $99 or more on HBOMax.
Oh nice! Unfortunately, I ended up cancelling my Amex Platinum... Saved $690 in the process... I just don't travel as much as I used to, and couldn't take advantage of the benefits...

I would love to save $25.00... But saving $690.00 trumped that! :)

·
Lets go Bengals!!!!!
2,008 Posts
Oh nice! Unfortunately, I ended up cancelling my Amex Platinum... Saved $690 in the process... I just don't travel as much as I used to, and couldn't take advantage of the benefits...

I would love to save $25.00... But saving $690.00 trumped that! :)
You might want to look at the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. Only $99 a year

·
Lets go Bengals!!!!!
2,008 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,042 Posts
I have that card, because the 6% on groceries adds up. I never realized the 6% is for streaming also. I'm changing the billing now on applicable accounts.

Thanks @tigercat74
It's select streaming though. I get Netflix through T-Mobile and HBO through ATT FIber. Amazon video is through AmazonPrime So my list is
  • Paramount+ bundle
  • Hulu
  • YTTV
  • YT Premium

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
It's select streaming though. I get Netflix through T-Mobile and HBO through ATT FIber. Amazon video is through AmazonPrime So my list is
  • Paramount+ bundle
  • Hulu
  • YTTV
  • YT Premium
I only pay for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+ (HBO-MAX is free to me). Amazon is on their card, so it was just NF & D+. But it's still not bad!

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,197 Posts
I just have the regular Blue Cash card. 3% on groceries, 2%on gas and 1%on everything else, plus many offers (including the above HBOMax one), and NO annual fee!

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
I just have the regular Blue Cash card. 3% on groceries, 2%on gas and 1%on everything else, plus many offers (including the above HBOMax one), and NO annual fee!
It's simple math, and that will show whether it makes sense for each individual:

Fee is $95/yr. You get an extra 3% on groceries (capped at $6K of purchases), 5% on streaming, and 1% on gas. For me, that's $237 more than the regular card, for $95. My total rebate has been $490 L12M. My mistake is I passed the $6K grocery limit, and kept using the card. I should have switched to another card for groceries at that point.😡

It's worth it to do the math.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
I like Grace Randolph... Yes, her voice is a bit grating... But she does know her stuff... She's in the industry as a comic writer herself, and she always has fair insights on her reviews of the various movies and series content...
Being a comic writer doesn't necessarily give her incite on the industry, at least not as a whole. Second, I'm going off this one article, as I don't spend a whole lot of time caring much about this stuff (HBO Max interests me because I have a subscription, otherwise I'd not even be paying attention), and as I said, she gave little information that I either didn't know before or had speculated myself in various threads here and other places (does that make ME an insider? I figured it out without any "inside" information. I don't know if her information in other spots is good or not because this is the only one I ever watched, so I'll take your word for it. It's clear to me, just by reading the CEO's comments that his goal is gutting the company and changing the direction of where they are going. AT&T so mismanaged everything about WB and DIrecTV for that matter, that it was clear changes needed to be made. Do I agree with this direction? Time will tell.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
I specifically will not watch it if there are Ads. I stopped watching the advertisements in the 80's. When I started time shifting my TV watching. And I have no desire to go back to the way I watched TV in the 70's and first half of the 80's.
I had this discussion on our sister board, but I think eventually we may not have a choice (with streaming services at least). Sure we have the "pay a premium and get no ads" tier, but how soon before these streamers realize that they can make much more money by forcing us to watch ads? They may lose a few of us who say "F No, I'm not subscribing any more if I have to watch ads". But if the bean counters figure out that it would be worth it to lose those few, to make MORE selling ads, they'll do it. For one, content is king. What happens if your favorite streaming show, whatever that might be, is now ad only? Will you give it up just to NOT watch an ad? Content will drive whatever the streamers do. If the content is good enough, most people will suffer through ads. I'm not saying YOU will, you might stick to your guns and unsub, but a good portion, probably enough to make it worthwhile, will not.

And I find it interesting that we've gone full circle. In the 1960s and 1970s we had no choice, we watched ads and that was that. The 1980s came along with cable, which gave us channels like HBO with no ads and other channels with minimal ads. But then we got the VCR and figured out a way around commercials, though it was confusing for a lot of folks, but many did it. The 1990s came along and eventually we got TiVO and DVRs and that really screwed up the advertising model. But over time they figured out that they can restrict you from FF them, at least for VOD. Then streaming came along, another model where ads were almost non existent but eventually they figured out how to get ads there to the point where they are going to make a fortune from ads. And once ad revenue passes subscription revenue, or at least the amount made from ads surpassed the amount they can make from selling ad free tiers, those will go away too. I'm sure we'll figure out ways to circumvent those as well, but the "average" viewer (not us techies here). will just grin and bare it. We've come from getting "free TV" with ads and having no choice to now PAYING services to watch ads.

·
I am Groot!
64,381 Posts
Being a comic writer doesn't necessarily give her incite on the industry, at least not as a whole. Second, I'm going off this one article, as I don't spend a whole lot of time caring much about this stuff (HBO Max interests me because I have a subscription, otherwise I'd not even be paying attention), and as I said, she gave little information that I either didn't know before or had speculated myself in various threads here and other places (does that make ME an insider? I figured it out without any "inside" information. I don't know if her information in other spots is good or not because this is the only one I ever watched, so I'll take your word for it. It's clear to me, just by reading the CEO's comments that his goal is gutting the company and changing the direction of where they are going. AT&T so mismanaged everything about WB and DIrecTV for that matter, that it was clear changes needed to be made. Do I agree with this direction? Time will tell.
She used to have (maybe still does?) an internet show that was basically geek industry gossip. She's had a number of major scoops over the years, not one of which has ever been confirmed by anybody else.

And she's not really a comic writer...she got an indy series on the basis of her internet fame, but that was a decade ago. Liked the series, though!
I had this discussion on our sister board, but I think eventually we may not have a choice (with streaming services at least). Sure we have the "pay a premium and get no ads" tier, but how soon before these streamers realize that they can make much more money by forcing us to watch ads? They may lose a few of us who say "F No, I'm not subscribing any more if I have to watch ads". But if the bean counters figure out that it would be worth it to lose those few, to make MORE selling ads, they'll do it. For one, content is king. What happens if your favorite streaming show, whatever that might be, is now ad only? Will you give it up just to NOT watch an ad? Content will drive whatever the streamers do. If the content is good enough, most people will suffer through ads. I'm not saying YOU will, you might stick to your guns and unsub, but a good portion, probably enough to make it worthwhile, will not.

And I find it interesting that we've gone full circle. In the 1960s and 1970s we had no choice, we watched ads and that was that. The 1980s came along with cable, which gave us channels like HBO with no ads and other channels with minimal ads. But then we got the VCR and figured out a way around commercials, though it was confusing for a lot of folks, but many did it. The 1990s came along and eventually we got TiVO and DVRs and that really screwed up the advertising model. But over time they figured out that they can restrict you from FF them, at least for VOD. Then streaming came along, another model where ads were almost non existent but eventually they figured out how to get ads there to the point where they are going to make a fortune from ads. And once ad revenue passes subscription revenue, or at least the amount made from ads surpassed the amount they can make from selling ad free tiers, those will go away too. I'm sure we'll figure out ways to circumvent those as well, but the "average" viewer (not us techies here). will just grin and bare it. We've come from getting "free TV" with ads and having no choice to now PAYING services to watch ads.
One other factor, though, is pirating. I pay for a depressingly large number of streaming services, but if they start forcing me to watch ads I will cheerfully cancel the service and get the shows by other means. So it's really in their best interest to let me keep paying them for ad-free streaming.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
She used to have (maybe still does?) an internet show that was basically geek industry gossip. She's had a number of major scoops over the years, not one of which has ever been confirmed by anybody else.

And she's not really a comic writer...she got an indy series on the basis of her internet fame, but that was a decade ago. Liked the series, though!
Like I said, I don't follow her and was referring to the one article posted, which told me nothing I didn't already know or speculate myself. If that was "good insight" then I must be an insider too.

One other factor, though, is pirating. I pay for a depressingly large number of streaming services, but if they start forcing me to watch ads I will cheerfully cancel the service and get the shows by other means. So it's really in their best interest to let me keep paying them for ad-free streaming.
Yes there are quite a few who say this. But again, what if your favorite show was on one of these streamers that now forced you to watch ads? Would you give up your favorite show? Perhaps you would and I'm sure there are people who would. Enough people for them to maintain that tier when they can make more money by selling you ads? I don't know that for sure, but I suspect there will be a point where A) The cost for consumers of an ad free tier might drive down the number of subs to that tier to the point it's not worth keeping and B) Because selling ads are so lucrative, it might be worth it to force even THOSE users to an ad tier. My fear is that the number of ads will increase, once the ad free option is gone, to the point where they will follow the basic cable model where the number of ads per show is even WORSE than OTA these days.

I know you mentioned you'd get them by "other means" I guess, since you mentioned pirating, that you'd do it by illegal means. I suspect that a VERY small number of users will go that route. We get fooled here because we are a "techie" community that so many others will do that, but I'd bet it would be so below 1% of users that it wouldn't matter enough for them to change their mind.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,216 Posts
I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree that we may get to that point and you are probably right that the number of people who would just "not watch" is too small to matter, but I'm one of them for sure. There're a lot of things I could be doing with my time so if my "favorite show" is only available with ads, I just won't watch it. C'est la vie.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
I know you mentioned you'd get them by "other means" I guess, since you mentioned pirating, that you'd do it by illegal means. I suspect that a VERY small number of users will go that route. We get fooled here because we are a "techie" community that so many others will do that, but I'd bet it would be so below 1% of users that it wouldn't matter enough for them to change their mind.
I think most people have no problem paying for content if it's good quality and at a reasonable price. But if they start jacking up the prices of these streaming services too high, or start shoving ads down our throats, I think Rob is correct that a lot of people will start turning to alternate means. You hardly need a PhD to figure out how to torrent TV shows and movies. Sure, it may be a bit more complicated to get that content over to a TV, but things like Plex have made that much easier, and the younger generation doesn't even watch stuff on TVs anyway. They're watching everything on their phones, iPads or laptops.

·
Just someone
17,436 Posts
I think most people have no problem paying for content if it's good quality and at a reasonable price. But if they start jacking up the prices of these streaming services too high, or start shoving ads down our throats, I think Rob is correct that a lot of people will start turning to alternate means. You hardly need a PhD to figure out how to torrent TV shows and movies. Sure, it may be a bit more complicated to get that content over to a TV, but things like Plex have made that much easier, and the younger generation doesn't even watch stuff on TVs anyway. They're watching everything on their phones, iPads or laptops.
I've lost my TV remote, and haven't botheredto order a new one because I'm watching on my laptop.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Out of every 1000 viewers how many you think even KNOW that any of this is possible? 10? Again, we sit here in our techie world and know about this stuff. And maybe in your circle of friends you know about this stuff. But most people A) Don't know about this stuff B) Are not even technically savvy enough to do do it and C) even if they don't many will not want to illegally steal content. I suspect the vast majority fall in A), and there's a good number who fall into B).

461 - 480 of 515 Posts