TiVo Community Forum banner
421 - 440 of 488 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
Well, if they stop doing scripted content then I'm cancelling my subscription. I love John Oliver, but not enough to pay for an entire streaming service!
If that's the case, I'll cancel on my Sat service too. HBO without the scripted shows and just out of theater movies is worthless to me. They already got rid of boxing a few years ago which I enjoyed. I do wonder if J.O. and Bill Maher too will still stay there, or if they'd want to move them to something like CNN?

·
Premium Member
10,873 Posts
Almost all of the services have gone to creating unique to them content. I would be shocked if HBO basically became a service rebroadcasting content created elsewhere. They would destroy any incentive to sign up directly which most likely gives them the most profit.

I almost always watch shows through the streaming vehicle rather than trying record stuff through the linear vehicle. Fortunately I get HBOMAX free through my fiber subscription but if they destroy it’s value add then I might consider downgrading my gigabit service to 300//500 speed.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,718 Posts
HBO without the scripted shows and just out of theater movies is worthless to me.
I don't think they're saying HBO won't have scripted series. Just not HBO-MAX. [Aside: They haven't made an announcement as of now, so this is still all conjecture.]

If HBO were to stop scripted content, it wouldn't be HBO. Subscriptions would drop 98%.

Without Westworld, Succession, Euphoria, The Nevers, House of the Dragon, Curb, Barry, yada yada... it's not a premium channel.

·
Administrator
9,630 Posts

·
Cat God
17,656 Posts
I don't think they're saying HBO won't have scripted series. Just not HBO-MAX. [Aside: They haven't made an announcement as of now, so this is still all conjecture.]

If HBO were to stop scripted content, it wouldn't be HBO. Subscriptions would drop 98%.

Without Westworld, Succession, Euphoria, The Nevers, House of the Dragon, Curb, Barry, yada yada... it's not a premium channel.
It will be like it used to be back when Game of Thrones was airing. They had one or two big shows and that was enough to get people to subscribe to HBO.

Those shows will be on HBO and their back catalog and unscripted shows will be on Discovery BO or whatever they call their new streaming service. If you want both, you’ll need to subscribe to both. At least that’s what all signs are pointing to.

·
Premium Member
10,873 Posts

If HBOMAX becomes a strict equivalence of what is broadcast on the linear HBO it greatly reduces the amount of content produced and to some extent available. It also reduces their profit in that the stand alone service does not have to bribe anybody to take them. Other than Showtime which is similar but is associated to Paramount+ everybody else has streaming services with extra content.

Peacock(NBC) and Paramount+(CBS) both have linear associations and have unique shows in addition to brought from overseas shows (British/Aussie).
Even Netflix brings in shows from overseas a lot.

·
Administrator
9,630 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Talk about your bad omens. If this is a sign of things to come, Max won't be worth subscribing to much longer. I choose to take the pessimistic view and hope it turns out better than expected.

·
Administrator
9,630 Posts
They're putting a CNN hub on Discovery Plus. Some expect HBO to just be another hub alongside it by the time this all shakes aout.

• Wow

·
Premium Member
10,873 Posts
I get free HBOMAX with my ATT Fiber subscription. From what I can tell I will continue to get it but new subscribers will not However with this repackaging(IE an HBO hub) I wonder if that will remain true?

·
Señor Member
81,446 Posts
I get free HBOMAX with my ATT Fiber subscription. From what I can tell I will continue to get it but new subscribers will not However with this repackaging(IE an HBO hub) I wonder if that will remain true?
I figured it would eventually go away after the merger. But not this quickly! :eek:

·
Palindromer
21,557 Posts
My annual $149.00 renewal is coming up on August 9th...

Trying to figure out if I want to commit to the year, and save the 20%... Or go month to month...

I know that I want to finish up Westworld S4 (which I am really enjoying)... And I definitely want to watch the Game of Thrones prequel series...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
My annual $149.00 renewal is coming up on August 9th...

Trying to figure out if I want to commit to the year, and save the 20%... Or go month to month...

I know that I want to finish up Westworld S4 (which I am really enjoying)... And I definitely want to watch the Game of Thrones prequel series...
Damn. Westworld. I keep forgetting to watch Season 4. Thx. Lol

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
Funny reading that article and them talking about watching an old movie with ads, like it's something new and quaint!! I have been watching movies like that for more than 50 years!

421 - 440 of 488 Posts