TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cox Cable
Northern Virginia
Three TiVos: 2 x Bolt Plus's and 1 x Premiere XL4 (all using CC's and Cisco TA's)

Same symptom on all machines. Been going on for a month or more. Other than this symptom all machines operate and tune as expected. All TA and CC diagnostics reflect strong signals and SNR's.

Symptom: Selecting any one of three HBO channels (304, 305, 311 in my area) on all machines results in blank screen followed by message..."this channel temporarily unavailable". Happens on all three machines. All other channels including other HBO channels work fine.

1. Call to cablecard tech support: Reboot, plug/unplug all devices and restart, reprovisioned all CCs and sent hits to all TAs. No change. Set up house visit thinking problem at cable tap box outside.

2. Tech visit to house: Checked and adjusted cable tap box a few houses away. Didn't state what he did. At my house cable box he installed new splitter, MOCA filter, and re-tightened all outside cables. No change. Tech admitted he has little TiVo/CC/TA experience.

3. Next level tech support coming to house in a week.

Now, here is the odd part. When I disconnect USB cable from the TA's to TiVos, the non-tunable three HBO channels tune and work on all machines. This, of course, results in numerous other channels not working because TA USB cable is disconnected. Reconnect the USB cable and the three HBO channels stop tuning while all other channels tune fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be a headend CC, TA pairing or account problem?

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,833 Posts
How is the Tuning adapter connected? Is it TA output-> Tivo, OR Splitter leg to TA, other leg to Tivo. (Sounds like the former)

It sounds like some kind of conflict.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How is the Tuning adapter connected? Is it TA output-> Tivo, OR Splitter leg to TA, other leg to Tivo. (Sounds like the former)

It sounds like some kind of conflict.
Per Cox TA install instructions: Single cable from inhouse wall outlet to Splitter - leg to TA, other leg to Tivo. USB cable between TA and TiVo. Same setup on all machines.

· Registered
6 Posts
Cox Cable
Northern Virginia
Three TiVos: 2 x Bolt Plus's and 1 x Premiere XL4 (all using CC's and Cisco TA's)

Same symptom on all machines. Been going on for a month or more. Other than this symptom all machines operate and tune as expected. All TA and CC diagnostics reflect strong signals and SNR's.

Symptom: Selecting any one of three HBO channels (304, 305, 311 in my area) on all machines results in blank screen followed by message..."this channel temporarily unavailable". Happens on all three machines. All other channels including other HBO channels work fine.

1. Call to cablecard tech support: Reboot, plug/unplug all devices and restart, reprovisioned all CCs and sent hits to all TAs. No change. Set up house visit thinking problem at cable tap box outside.

2. Tech visit to house: Checked and adjusted cable tap box a few houses away. Didn't state what he did. At my house cable box he installed new splitter, MOCA filter, and re-tightened all outside cables. No change. Tech admitted he has little TiVo/CC/TA experience.

3. Next level tech support coming to house in a week.

Now, here is the odd part. When I disconnect USB cable from the TA's to TiVos, the non-tunable three HBO channels tune and work on all machines. This, of course, results in numerous other channels not working because TA USB cable is disconnected. Reconnect the USB cable and the three HBO channels stop tuning while all other channels tune fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be a headend CC, TA pairing or account problem?
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem to include some sports channels. It happened to all of my Tivos. Thanks I am with Cox

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem to include some sports channels. It happened to all of my Tivos. Thanks I am with Cox
I've had two Cox Techs to the house. Second was "Escalation Manager" who knew alot about TiVos, TAs, and Cablecards. Several years experience. Neither could fix the issue during their visit. Escalation manager made several calls to Head End and other shops to share details. He agrees the problem is on Cox's end but won't speculate. He promised they'd find a solution and be back in touch. I'll let folks know when/if Cox fixes it and what they did.

Asked him several questions about Cox's intent regarding TiVo and cablecards support. His information is that Cox in Northern Virginia will continue to support them for at least another year. He also indicated all new construction includes fiber optic cable but Cox has no plans to replace copper with fiber according to his sources.

· Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar issue a couple months ago. Same thing now. Cox replaced the main cable to the house and replaced the amplifier under the house. Had two guys (one very senior) at my house for over four hours. They focused on one Tivo box. They replaced the TA and then the CC. Still no luck. They left after exhausting everything they could think of. Miraculously, the TA synced up several hours later. I then unplugged and replugged all the other TAs (5 others) and they all synced up and I started getting all the channels again. I wonder if this problem is related to Video on demand being removed. I'll post something here if I find something out.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar issue a couple months ago. Same thing now. Cox replaced the main cable to the house and replaced the amplifier under the house. Had two guys (one very senior) at my house for over four hours. They focused on one Tivo box. They replaced the TA and then the CC. Still no luck. They left after exhausting everything they could think of. Miraculously, the TA synced up several hours later. I then unplugged and replugged all the other TAs (5 others) and they all synced up and I started getting all the channels again. I wonder if this problem is related to Video on demand being removed. I'll post something here if I find something out.
Interesting. Thanks. Friend a few miles away experiencing exact same HBO channel loss symptoms on her two TiVos. Where are you located?

· Registered
6 Posts
Hampton VA. I get HBO 1 and 2 and Family. All others are out. Also ESPNU and other channels on the high end are out. Last time they all went out, it was around the time Cox switched
from Channel 1012 to 12 (and others) for all the digital channels.

· Registered
6 Posts
Breakthrough. I got ahold of a tech that was not a cable card/TA expert but was good at troubleshooting. Ruled out my equipment as the problem. He got in touch with a local cable card/TA expert, and he determined the signal from the Cox (fiber node) to my cable post was incorrect. Cox maintenance came out and reset the fiber node down the street. The fix was instantaneous. All channels and no blinking lights. Maintenance even gave me his direct number in case it happens again.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same problem fixed for awhile here in Northern Virginia with Cox. Now problem back with loss of same HBO channels plus loss of NASA channel. Any chance you still have the phone contact number so my Cox Escalation Manager can contact them?

· U.S. Army (ret.)
1,791 Posts
long ago I dumped my cable HBO account and switched to HBO Max directly through HBO. never looked back, its a no brainer
Not exactly a "no brainer" if you consider the advantages that can accrue to the user who subscribes via the CATV provider--particularly if Comcast is the source.

The first advantage is the ability to record programs locally on a DVR from the linear channels. Even if you wind up watching the show on the streaming app for the better PQ/AQ, the My Shows listing on TiVo, e.g., is a handy reference to keep tabs on what you have in the queue and which episodes remain to be watched.

Next, there is the tracking of upcoming shows on the program guide and To Do list; this is something that HBO Max is notoriously weak on, since you can not save a show to your watch list until it has dropped and, even if there is a trailer and you save it as a reminder, the trailer vanishes as soon as the show has dropped without being replaced by the actual show.

Thirdly, some consumers like the simplicity of consolidated billing.

And, fourthly, unlike HBO itself, Comcast (and perhaps other MVPDs) bills on a pro-rata basis so that you only pay for the days in a billing period that the service was active. This means that you can activate an HBO/HBO Max subscription on your Comcast account, then binge-watch for seven days and cancel, and you will only be charged ca. $3.50.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts