TiVo Community Forum banner

Having second thoughts about Premiere

4127 Views 26 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Maymeg79
I recently cancelled service on my old DT-S2 because I wasn't using it anymore - recently moved and was using only a Comcast DVR. When I called to cancel, the rep convinced me to get a Premiere (gave it to me for free if I agreed to a 2-year service contract at $19.99 a month).

However, it hasn't even arrived yet and I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I'm only paying an extra $7 a month for the Comcast DVR (the HD service and HD box price - if I didn't have the DVR - are built into my package price already). I don't really need the access to premium movie and music services that the Premiere provides, since I already get these through my Blu-Ray Disc player. I don't care about copying shows to my PC, or viewing photos/videos from my PC on my TV (does anyone care about this?).

So what's left? Greater storage capacity and a slicker interface, for sure...I've been with Tivo long enough (7 years) to understand that. But I haven't been watching as much TV lately, and I really can't think of why I'd ever need to store 45 hours worth of HD content.

I realize the answer probably is "Only I can decide....", but I'm wondering, has anyone else had this crisis where they can't decide if they even care about Tivo anymore? I used to think it was indispensible...now I'm thinking the Comcast box may just be "good enough".
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
I recently cancelled service on my old DT-S2 because I wasn't using it anymore - recently moved and was using only a Comcast DVR. When I called to cancel, the rep convinced me to get a Premiere (gave it to me for free if I agreed to a 2-year service contract at $19.99 a month).

However, it hasn't even arrived yet and I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I'm only paying an extra $7 a month for the Comcast DVR (the HD service and HD box price - if I didn't have the DVR - are built into my package price already). I don't really need the access to premium movie and music services that the Premiere provides, since I already get these through my Blu-Ray Disc player. I don't care about copying shows to my PC, or viewing photos/videos from my PC on my TV (does anyone care about this?).

So what's left? Greater storage capacity and a slicker interface, for sure...I've been with Tivo long enough (7 years) to understand that. But I haven't been watching as much TV lately, and I really can't think of why I'd ever need to store 45 hours worth of HD content.

I realize the answer probably is "Only I can decide....", but I'm wondering, has anyone else had this crisis where they can't decide if they even care about Tivo anymore? I used to think it was indispensible...now I'm thinking the Comcast box may just be "good enough".
Further bad news, come Dec 1st the premium channels, HBO, Showtime, will be blocked from view on a Tivo...

Got my letter from brighthouse yesterday informing me of this..
Further bad news, come Dec 1st the premium channels, HBO, Showtime, will be blocked from view on a Tivo...

Blocked or Copy Protected 0x02? What was their explanation and justification?
Blocked or Copy Protected 0x02? What was their explanation and justification?
SDV maybe? :confused:

Of course you can get tuning adapters if that is the case

Isn't that an FCC violation?
Yeah and it needs to be reported to the FCC.

paging sbiller.

Can you post a copy of the letter or email me a copy?

Thanks,
Sam

[email protected]

That is doubtful. Maybe SDV?
I thought i read about this on another forum, where a customer complained about the letter they received from there cable company saying hbo would not be available on his tivo! the cable companies are missleading tivo users into thinking they need the cable box to receive any premiumn channels!, but tivo users will still be able to receivie premiumn channels using SDV! I urge anyone who receives this letter from their cable company to report them to the FCC!.
+1

Complain to the FCC. They're required to deliver all their scheduled programming to CableCARD customers.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm
Seriously starting to doubt whether he really received that letter from BHN.
~Sam
I thought i read about this on another forum, where a customer complained about the letter they received from there cable company saying hbo would not be available on his tivo! the cable companies are missleading tivo users into thinking they need the cable box to receive any premiumn channels!, but tivo users will still be able to receivie premiumn channels using SDV! I urge anyone who receives this letter from their cable company to report them to the FCC!.
There is ZERO technical justification why Comcast would do such a thing. On Cox (here, anyway) *all* channels are available to TiVo users with cable card and tuning adapters. Something is very fishy about this...
On Cox (here, anyway) *all* channels are available to TiVo users with cable card and tuning adapters. Something is very fishy about this...
Just for clarification are you subscribed to and receiving the additional HBOs, SHOs that are included in the Plus Package. Most posts I have seen are not able to receive these channels,
Just for clarification are you subscribed to and receiving the additional HBOs, SHOs that are included in the Plus Package. Most posts I have seen are not able to receive these channels,
if not, try DIY HD, if you can't get that you have the cox plus package issue
Cox Arizona has not Officially launched the Plus Package channels, I was receiving DIYHD for several days, but yesterday it started displaying "This channel is not Authorized"

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=478351
Good point. I can't comment to those.

It is listed online as a channel- 1235. I can't tune it... "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information"

Somewhere along the line I think there may be some confusion. Please forward me a copy of the letter you received and I'll do my best to clear this up for ya.

Please forward me a copy of the letter same as with the OP. Thanks!
Seriously starting to doubt whether he really received that letter from BHN.
~Sam
Thank you Sam. I think they may have misread the letter because there is no issue there.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.