TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was investigating a missing channel on my Series2 (connected to a DirecTV Genie node), and I tried redoing Guided Setup to see if I had the wrong DirecTV service chosen. Unfortunately, the only Satellite provider listed was Dish (and not DirecTV).

On a separate issue, I had noticed that the guide information was running out. Now it makes me think - does that mean TiVo no longer supports DirecVT guide info starting in August?

Is anyone out there still using a TiVo with DirecTV service, and do you have guide information for August? (The TiVo might have had a few days in August, but not as many days as I would have expected; I can't check it now, because I'm stuck in Guided Setup unless I choose Dish as my Satellite provider :( .)

And maybe this is in the 'wrong' forum, since my TiVo isn't actually a DirecTV device?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was experimenting, and I choose Cable (instead of Satellite). Surprise! DirecTV shows up under Cable companies!

Now all I need to do is figure out what "Cable box" to use for DirecTV (no, there is no GENIE or DIRECTV on the list)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had sent a 'Channel Lineup Issue', received the initial reply e-mail (likely a 'canned' e-mail), and discovered yesterday that the case was closed the same day I submitted it (without any other e-mail with the resolution status (like why it was closed)). I can see the case as Closed on TiVo's website, I can click on it (and it tells me "This case has been closed and can no longer be updated. Please Chat or Email us for additional assistance.", but I can't see an other details there.
(Edit: I had created the issue request for someone else while logged onto my account, and I realized today that the case had moved to their account where it is still open)

So what did somebody change on the TiVo servers to remove DirecTV as a satellite choice in Guided Setup??? It was there as a choice a month ago (on June 22 2022), but it is not there now. (I did see DirecTV under Cable as a provider, but no 'box' type of DIRECTV, so that doesn't seem to be able to help me. (And I do see Dish Network still listed as a Satellite provider, and not as a Cable provider, so lucky Dish users!)

I need to 'convince' TiVo to move DirecTV back to be a Satellite provider - does anyone have a clue as to the best way for me to accomplish that?

My family has been long-time TiVo users, with our first TiVo a Phillips Series 1 (back in 2000 I think), and many more since then (but not all of them are still functioning). Because of unreliabilities of the DirecTV Genie DVR, I use some Series2 TiVos as 'backups' to the Genie. (I do have other uses for my Series2 TiVos on DirecTV.) And two of those TiVos using DirecTV aren't even 'Lifetime' (yes, I'm still paying monthly for them - long story).

BTW, none of my TiVos are 'hacked', although I have replaced the 'cheap' hard drives that originally came with them with better (and bigger) drives. I must admit, my first Series2 (a 40 hour 140) had a hard drive that did last around 15 years before starting to show signs of failure, but the hard drive in our 240 didn't even last a year before a complete failure! And my early replacement drives were the 'continual use' Seagate drives (manufactured way back when Seagate drives had 5-year warranties, before they bought Maxtor and learned how to make cheap drives that would fail after a few years).

Am I crazy (wait - don't answer that!!!)?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you mightt want to try DBSTALK.com,or SATELLIEGUYS.com or just call directv and see if maybe they stopped supporting tivios.
Thanks for the tips!

I took a look at dbstalk.com and satelliteguys.us, and there is not much recent TiVo talk there (and none of that TiVo talk is DirecTV related) I will try posting my dilemma there soon. And, I don't think anyone that I could contact at DirecTV's Customer Support would know (or care) if TiVo still supported their Guide Info.

And a piece of advice (that I wish I would have known sooner):
I had tried to change my Provider info using Guided setup from the Channel List screen on the TiVo (which is good); if I would have hit the TiVo button on my remote to leave that Guided Setup (when I couldn't find my desired provider), it would have left my current Provider as DirectTV, but (unfortunately) I rebooted my TiVo, which left me ('permanently') in Guided Setup (or until I choose a provider).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts