TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
SullyND said:
Have they done that?

I think he means has TiVo acknowledged that their devices do not receive SDV channels and that they are working towards a resolution to provide customers all of their available cable content. I think about SDV every time I see a THD ad somewhere, including the one on my TiVo right now...I keep looking for the disclaimer stating, “Due to Switched Digital Video, you won’t be able to receive all channels and your cable company will probably add new channels that you will not be able to receive either using our device.” I can’t wait to get rid of my SA8300HD DVR and replace it with a THD. I’m just not willing to give up content though.

·
Tivonation Citizen
956 Posts
Quote from the article:

'The problem with SDV is that it is a two-way technology while the preponderance of CableCARD-enabled devices -- including set-top boxes, digital-cable-ready TVs and new recording devices from TiVo -- are one-way only. ...

“Our new boxes are all going to be CableCARD-based,” TiVo CEO Thomas Rogers testified before the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet after Eshoo spoke. “CableCARDs could be rendered useless.”

·
Beware of Conky!
1,013 Posts
jmaditto said:
I think he means has TiVo acknowledged that their devices do not receive SDV channels...
from the above linked article
“This is but one example of how content providers can limit the use of technology by creating artificial barriers to impede competition and innovation”
“I am concerned that despite the implementation of this mandate, many cable operators will either hobble or render competitive set-top boxes unusable by deploying new channel-switching technology that won’t work with other boxes”
jmaditto said:
... and that they are working towards a resolution to provide customers all of their available cable content.
also from the above linked article
“Cable is working with TiVo and others to try to develop a technical fix so that one-way devices will be able to access the inherently two-way switched-digital-video signals”

·
O2->CO2 Converter
2,702 Posts
There's a whole SDV FAQ thread stuck at the top of this forum to answer that exact question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.