TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
So is this show has 5 episodes? are they all on the cheifs or do they follow other teams. i watched it, and it makes my alma mater look pretty chincy. i recorded it for my friend who owns the bike shop in town that provides the bikes. he was interviewed and all but didn't make the show. didn't even get his logo on screen. it's kinda funny when the cheifs come in for the summer. all the hootchies from the twin cities come too. one summer a buddy and i destroyed shotenheimer and another coach in pool.

·
Ring Turner
17,528 Posts
Supfreak26 said:
There is some language. No doubt. Not too bad, though.
We watched one this weekend and the language was beeped out. I was surprised since it's HBO.

Damn you all! Good thing I'm getting my Tivo upgraded this weekend!

·
Seriously?
18,477 Posts
scheckeNYK said:
As for the comment about KC's WR corps, I guess you never heard of Tony Gonzalez? I know he's a TE but he has been the Chiefs #1 receiving target for years, so it's no wonder their other WRs are UTR. Not to mention that Trent Green had plenty of 4,000 yard passing seasons with their supposed non existent receivers.
I see we have ourselves a defensive Chiefs fan. ;)

As you said yourself, Gonzo is a TE. A great one (albeit starting to show his age now), but a TE nonetheless and not a WR. Hence my comment. When your team's two most dangerous receiving threats are a TE and RB, respectively, jokes about the anonymity of its receiving corps are to be expected.

In 2006, KC QBs combined for just over 3200 passing yards. Of that, Gonzo and LJ combined for 114 catches for 1,310 yards, and the top 3 WRs on the roster combined caught 120 balls for 1,625 yards. Those are Charger-esque stats, another team for which the "_____ has WRs?" joke is applicable.

The fact is that the Chiefs haven't had an elite WR threat in, well, forever. Kennison put up some decent numbers over the past few years, but I would argue that was mainly due to the attention that Gonzo and Priest/LJ drew. He certainly doesn't strike fear into any defensive coordinator's heart, and teams certainly don't have to game plan against him.

To reinforce my point: quick, name the best WR in Chiefs history!

<crickets chirping>

·
Registered
336 Posts
DreadPirateRob said:
I see we have ourselves a defensive Chiefs fan. ;)

As you said yourself, Gonzo is a TE. A great one (albeit starting to show his age now), but a TE nonetheless and not a WR. Hence my comment. When your team's two most dangerous receiving threats are a TE and RB, respectively, jokes about the anonymity of its receiving corps are to be expected.

In 2006, KC QBs combined for just over 3200 passing yards. Of that, Gonzo and LJ combined for 114 catches for 1,310 yards, and the top 3 WRs on the roster combined caught 120 balls for 1,625 yards. Those are Charger-esque stats, another team for which the "_____ has WRs?" joke is applicable.

The fact is that the Chiefs haven't had an elite WR threat in, well, forever. Kennison put up some decent numbers over the past few years, but I would argue that was mainly due to the attention that Gonzo and Priest/LJ drew. He certainly doesn't strike fear into any defensive coordinator's heart, and teams certainly don't have to game plan against him.

To reinforce my point: quick, name the best WR in Chiefs history!

<crickets chirping>
Otis Taylor, hands down.

Was one of the best and most exciting wide receivers of his era . . . Played in three AFC-NFC Pro Bowls, following the 1970-72 seasons . . . Owns Chiefs career records for receiving yards (7,306), receiving touchdowns (57) and 100-yard games (20) . . . His 410 career receptions rank second in team history . . . Twice topped the 1,000-yard receiving mark in a season, getting 1,297 in 1966 and 1,110 in 1971 . . . Led Chiefs in pass receptions on five occasions (1966-67 and 1970-72) . . . Hauled in a dazzling 46-yard TD pass helping the Chiefs upend the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV . . . Wore number 89 as a Chief . . . Had his college number 17 retired by Prairie View A&M . . . Was a fourth-round pick of the Chiefs in the 1965 AFL Draft . . . Spent several years as a scout for the Chiefs . . . Born August 11, 1942, in Houston, Texas.
Stephone Paige was also pretty good, and he was amazing in Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES.

Tonight's episode was okay. I probably like them more than the average NFL fan since, obviously, I'm a KC guy. Herm is such a character. Wish he could manage a clock though!

·
Registered
282 Posts
montag said:
Nope, watched HBOHD (ch 70) on DTV and all was fine.
Especially when they showed Tony Gonzalez's wife, October, (or commitment partner, or whatever she is) walking into the game in a tight shirt, and the announcer said 'Tony Gonzalez's two biggest fans arrive at the game'.

Pretty sure they meant October and their son...but that's not what I was thinking!

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
I'm not a Chiefs fan and I really enjoy the show. It gives a real good inside view.

Check below for an upcoming spoiler

The Chiefs will have a crappy 5-11 season - they should have snapped up Leftwhich after cutting Printers. (yes I'm a Bronco's fan)

In truth it was kind of sad, Printers was cut the day I watched the latest show, where he talks about how much making the team matters to him etc. etc.

·
Registered
312 Posts
RangersRBack said:
Especially when they showed Tony Gonzalez's wife, October, (or commitment partner, or whatever she is) walking into the game in a tight shirt, and the announcer said 'Tony Gonzalez's two biggest fans arrive at the game'.

Pretty sure they meant October and their son...but that's not what I was thinking!
There was an announcer talking during that shot? :confused: :D

·
Princess Anti-Santa
11,764 Posts
No need for spoiler tags in this thread.

I am a Chiefs fan. I'll actually concur with your prediction that the Chiefs will have a crappy season. But it has little to do with the QB position, and spending any money at all on Leftwich would have been a complete waste. The Chiefs' problem on offense is the line. We've lost two perennial All-Pros over the past two seasons, and not done much to replace them (and the starting center almost retired over the offseason too). Roaf and Shields were the heart of the offense, and let us do just about anything we wanted to from a game planning perspective. With them, our line did everything well. So we could run (straight ahead or to the edge), pass (3-step, 5-step, 7-step, screens), and keep opponents off-balance with the variety. Now? Now any QB is lucky to have time to get of a pass from a 3-step drop. Running to the edge is difficult, if not impossible. The offense will be ugly unless some linemen really step up.

Leftwich would have been a disaster. He's relatively immobile, and injury prone. He would've been like a tackling dummy back there - only he wouldn't have popped back up so easily.

IF (and that's a big "if") Damion McIntosh proves to be as good as his press clippings, AND he can get back in the flow of things quickly (he missed all of camp with a knee injury), we might be OK on the left side. We're still having issues on the right side. Neither Turley nor Terry has looked particularly good. Maybe Svitek (who subbed in for McIntosh and looked slow on the left side) can step in on the right side. We'll see.

OTOH, I'd actually prefer the Chiefs to go around 3-13 or 4-12 this season. It's time to reboot this team. And it's not going to happen as long as King Carl cobbles together just enough talent for the coaches to pull out 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 seasons.
JohnB1000 said:
I'm not a Chiefs fan and I really enjoy the show. It gives a real good inside view.

Check below for an upcoming spoiler

The Chiefs will have a crappy 5-11 season - they should have snapped up Leftwhich after cutting Printers. (yes I'm a Bronco's fan)

In truth it was kind of sad, Printers was cut the day I watched the latest show, where he talks about how much making the team matters to him etc. etc.

·
Princess Anti-Santa
11,764 Posts
I didn't see another episode-specific thread, so I figured I'd just use this one as a catch-all.

I like last night's episode a lot. It was cool to see the process by which they set the roster - the personnel guy having the coaches not only choose who's in and out, but also to specifically identify who's #51, 52, and 53, so that they're prepared when/if a particularly attractive player comes available.

I felt a little bad for Casey Printers, but was it really that hard to come up with an example for him of why he didn't make the cut? How about, "You've been with us for three years now, and you still have problems with the center exchange, including fumbling in scoring position at the end of a game. You haven't progressed enough for us to have any confidence that you'll develop into even a #2 QB for it to be worth our while to continue investing in your development."

Tank and Turk as roommates are hilarious. THAT would be a fun NFL Network reality series. "At Home with Tank and Turk - A Season in the Life of NFL Rookies". :D Seeing them shopping for furniture and accessories at Nebraska Furniture Mart was fun. "$12.99 for a plate? There ain't even any food on it."

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.