TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
it's only 5 episodes long, and basically that is the length of training camp. you won't hear too much bad language since Herm Edwards frowns upon it. Never out of his mouth, but the other coaches definitely slip up. Krumrie is a total maniac. Gun cursed once in the first ep (he said "ass") and then looked down like he knew he did something wrong. He replaced it with butt. Sounded so weird, but I guess that's the way Herm runs it.

As for the comment about KC's WR corps, I guess you never heard of Tony Gonzalez? I know he's a TE but he has been the Chiefs #1 receiving target for years, so it's no wonder their other WRs are UTR. Not to mention that Trent Green had plenty of 4,000 yard passing seasons with their supposed non existent receivers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
DreadPirateRob said:
I see we have ourselves a defensive Chiefs fan. ;)

As you said yourself, Gonzo is a TE. A great one (albeit starting to show his age now), but a TE nonetheless and not a WR. Hence my comment. When your team's two most dangerous receiving threats are a TE and RB, respectively, jokes about the anonymity of its receiving corps are to be expected.

In 2006, KC QBs combined for just over 3200 passing yards. Of that, Gonzo and LJ combined for 114 catches for 1,310 yards, and the top 3 WRs on the roster combined caught 120 balls for 1,625 yards. Those are Charger-esque stats, another team for which the "_____ has WRs?" joke is applicable.

The fact is that the Chiefs haven't had an elite WR threat in, well, forever. Kennison put up some decent numbers over the past few years, but I would argue that was mainly due to the attention that Gonzo and Priest/LJ drew. He certainly doesn't strike fear into any defensive coordinator's heart, and teams certainly don't have to game plan against him.

To reinforce my point: quick, name the best WR in Chiefs history!

<crickets chirping>
Otis Taylor, hands down.

Was one of the best and most exciting wide receivers of his era . . . Played in three AFC-NFC Pro Bowls, following the 1970-72 seasons . . . Owns Chiefs career records for receiving yards (7,306), receiving touchdowns (57) and 100-yard games (20) . . . His 410 career receptions rank second in team history . . . Twice topped the 1,000-yard receiving mark in a season, getting 1,297 in 1966 and 1,110 in 1971 . . . Led Chiefs in pass receptions on five occasions (1966-67 and 1970-72) . . . Hauled in a dazzling 46-yard TD pass helping the Chiefs upend the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV . . . Wore number 89 as a Chief . . . Had his college number 17 retired by Prairie View A&M . . . Was a fourth-round pick of the Chiefs in the 1965 AFL Draft . . . Spent several years as a scout for the Chiefs . . . Born August 11, 1942, in Houston, Texas.
Stephone Paige was also pretty good, and he was amazing in Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES.

Tonight's episode was okay. I probably like them more than the average NFL fan since, obviously, I'm a KC guy. Herm is such a character. Wish he could manage a clock though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.