TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Seriously?
18,477 Posts
AJRitz said:
The QBs are actually looking pretty good (Brodie does still have some decision-making issues to improve on), but the WRs had a rough week last week. And it sounded like Gunny was ready to sacrifice a few defensive players to the Gods, in supplication for a successful season.
The Chiefs have WRs? :p

·
Seriously?
18,477 Posts
scheckeNYK said:
As for the comment about KC's WR corps, I guess you never heard of Tony Gonzalez? I know he's a TE but he has been the Chiefs #1 receiving target for years, so it's no wonder their other WRs are UTR. Not to mention that Trent Green had plenty of 4,000 yard passing seasons with their supposed non existent receivers.
I see we have ourselves a defensive Chiefs fan. ;)

As you said yourself, Gonzo is a TE. A great one (albeit starting to show his age now), but a TE nonetheless and not a WR. Hence my comment. When your team's two most dangerous receiving threats are a TE and RB, respectively, jokes about the anonymity of its receiving corps are to be expected.

In 2006, KC QBs combined for just over 3200 passing yards. Of that, Gonzo and LJ combined for 114 catches for 1,310 yards, and the top 3 WRs on the roster combined caught 120 balls for 1,625 yards. Those are Charger-esque stats, another team for which the "_____ has WRs?" joke is applicable.

The fact is that the Chiefs haven't had an elite WR threat in, well, forever. Kennison put up some decent numbers over the past few years, but I would argue that was mainly due to the attention that Gonzo and Priest/LJ drew. He certainly doesn't strike fear into any defensive coordinator's heart, and teams certainly don't have to game plan against him.

To reinforce my point: quick, name the best WR in Chiefs history!

<crickets chirping>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.