TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my Tivo's hard drive has died, after power-up (plugging in the AC cable), I get the Welcome - Power-up on the TV, the hard drive drive-spins, sounds like there's a marble running around inside, and then the Tivo resets to Welcome - Power-up on the TV, it does this approx 3 times, and then nothing. When I plug in my Tivo now, I get nothing, is the "Welcome Power-Up" read from the hard drive?

Is it safe to assume the hard drive is dead, I checked all the cables, and tested the voltages on the power supply, and all the voltages appear to be there.

The tivo hard drive light flashes, but doesn't spin-up, which makes me believe it's dead, if I use another hard drive (not tivo configured), this drives spins up.

Tivo Green Status LED and FAN always start-up.

This is an original Tivo not modded, purchased when they first arrived in the UK in Sept/Oct (long time ago). I don't know what Tivo version is on it 2.5.5 or 2.5.5a.

Is they any point in installing in a PC and running Maxtor tools?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iankb said:
The voltages from the TiVo PSU are very load-dependent. You can't really check the voltages unless the PSU is fully-connected.
Checked with Fluke DC Clamp Meter, so no need to disconnect the hard drives and cables!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blindlemon said:
The welcome message is displayed by the TiVo's rudimentary BIOS if it detects a hard drive it can spin up. You should have seen the message when you tried your non-TiVo drive.
I've tested the hard drive in my PC, it powers-up and spins, recognised by PC, and with Maxtor PowerDiags 3 & 4, and completeted the 90 seconds test (quick test) and it confirms the drive is okay.

I've ordered a replacement power supply, as the Quantum causes the Tivo to reset, maybe the Seagate drive I have uses less current, and it can spin-up. I needed some new remote controls anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, I'll give the advanced test a go, I've just been recovering my PC after a Norton 2006 disaster!

But the drive spins-up, which is more than it does in Tivo, I think the psu might have been on the way out, because it's been very lazy, you plug the Tivo in somedays, and it takes a few minutes to come to life!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blindlemon said:
Sounds like good news.

However, the 90 second test doesn't do that much, so while you have the drive out you might as well run the advanced test to check the integrity of the whole drive.
Okay back with more results, suspecting that the Tivo drive does not spin up in the Tivo, i) I cannot hear it or feel the gyro motion if you move the hard drive slightly, I suspected the power supply was at fault, no great loss, as a replacement psu is always worth having. I've replaced the psu, and the Tivo started into life once and once only, confirming that at least the hard drive may be okay.

I've just completed the PowerMax Diags Advanced Long Test and it completes with no errors on a PC, (I didn't run the unlock program, do I need to do this?) also the drive spins up when connected to the PSU, but not ide cable connected.

If I connect the Tivo hard drive in the Tivo to the power cable, the drive does not spin up.

If I connect a 40GB Seagate hard drive to the power cable in the Tivo, this hard drive powers-up, any one know why this is, all the Tivo hard drive does is flash its data light a few times.

This is just a standard hard drive, I would have thought it should spin-up when connected to a power supply as in a PC, these are not scsi drives which have a spin-up command, so I'm confused here.

Don't have a TV in the garage where I'm testing, so cannot view any output on the Tivo screen.

I going to use the cables from the Tivo on the PC, with Tivo hard drive, and see if the cables are the issue.

Failing that I've got an image I'll put on this spare 40GB Seagate, and see If I can bring this Tivo back to life.

Some more information, this Tivo unit, may have been hit by a voltage surge, that has killed the modem, as the modem stop working after a lighting storm!

Any one have replacement Tivo system board?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay, good advice, do you think I need to Unlock it on the PC, and run the test again?

If I could be a pain in the arse, could you point me to a url where I can download an iso image of the tools, it's been a while, since I blessed drives!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
blindlemon said:
If it's a Quantum then it will be locked. Use DiskUtil to unlock it.

Blessing is a bit old hat these days. MFSTools 2.0 is the tool of choice and usage is fully described in the Hinsdale guide. If you are configuring a drive > 120GB the use the LBA48 version of the MFSTools CD rather than the one linked to by Hinsdale, specify a swapsize the same in mb as your drive is in GB (for future expansion) and run copykern choosing kernel option 1 afterwards to copy the LBA48 kernel and initialise the big swap.
Thanks for your help, I browsed the web and downloaded mfstool2 to make a backup and discovered this:-

I can see clearly from this, as I know a little Linux, there is obviosuly a problem with the Tivo hard drive and partitions, as I would expect there to be three partitions (I think!).

Would you agree?

and if I try mfstools to backup the drive, a get a screen full of garbage and it hangs! Certainly doesn't give me any prompt after scanning drive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rob Nespor Bellis said:
That message is quite normal, the TiVo disk is byteswapped so that is why the MFStools boot CD sees 9214 rather than 1492.

If you boot using one of the other TiVo boot CD's which normally byte swap hdb,hdc and hdd you will get a listing of the partitions available.

What error messages are you getting from MFStools? What is the backup command you are using?

Rgds,

R.
from the mkfstools:-

For a single drive TiVo (Any):

# mfsbackup –6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

do i need to use the l32 option?

no error message from mfsbackup is displayed, the screen fills with garbage, and hangs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
blindlemon said:
Full marks for initiative - but I provided a link to the recommended CD in the very post you have quoted!
TiVo drives are byteswapped, so to see the partitions listed at startup you need to boot in byteswapped mode.
Try the CD I linked to.

Edit: Doh! I knew I shouldn't have gone to make a cuppa in the middle of writing a post!
I downloaded the iso before you posted at 2.00am last night!, the iso i'm using is mfstools2.iso downloaded from http://mfstools.sourceforge.net/

Which is the recommended cdrom from the Hinsdale guide, I've just checked. Both cdroms are the same, just different links to the same place.

I didn't know, I had to boot in byteswap mode, I assumed the cdrom was setup by default!

Regards

Einstein

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
blindlemon said:
Sorry for staying up late...

That CD should be OK for a 40GB drive - and, no, you don't need to boot in byteswapped mode to make a backup, only if you want to view the partitions.

You do need to use -l32 though, and I would leave off the 6 if you have around 1.4GB free on your FAT drive, as the compression in MFSTools is buggy (and you can always zip the backup if you need to).

However, assuming the CD you're using is OK, then I would suspect that the problem may be caused by the problems you're experiencing with the drive. Can you get mfsinfo to give you any sensible output?

mfsinfo /dev/hdc
No problems for staying up late, I came home late from work, needed to finish a server rebuild, and I've still had no tea yet!

It's just a shame that the MFSTOOLS swap option doesn't work as stated, this had me puzzled for a few minutes.! Worked it out and here goes:-

and here's the output of the Tivo HD (hdc), I can mount hdc4 & hdc7

when I use mfstools and I tried the "l" option -l32, it does the same, screenful of garbage, and hangs. Tomorrow night I'll drop the compression option and re-format the pc hard disk. I'm using FAT32, I shouldn't think that would cause a problem, as the drive is mounted under Linux. Not shown using the -l option in this photo.

I tried mfstools 1.1, and it does the same and reboots the pc.

I don't think this is the screensaver?

I'm really just trying to see, if is worth the spend on a new hard drive. I've three other Tivos, but I not opening them up, and damaging them! I've been there with compaq servers, swapping parts from server to server, and then I've ended up with two dead servers.

blindlemon: Thanks for your continued help, I'll try the msinfo command tomorrow evening, but I suspect it will show similiar output to the partition information at bootup? I'll include the l option, and turn-off compression.

PS you not drunk, some of these shots are out of focus, that's me the crap photographer, and I blame it on a new camera, which has more buttons than the Space Shuttle! (and if I put it in auto, it kills the PC screen with flash, and it could do with being on a tripod, and not handheld by an idiot!)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
blindlemon said:
Sorry for staying up late...

That CD should be OK for a 40GB drive - and, no, you don't need to boot in byteswapped mode to make a backup, only if you want to view the partitions.

You do need to use -l32 though, and I would leave off the 6 if you have around 1.4GB free on your FAT drive, as the compression in MFSTools is buggy (and you can always zip the backup if you need to).

However, assuming the CD you're using is OK, then I would suspect that the problem may be caused by the problems you're experiencing with the drive. Can you get mfsinfo to give you any sensible output?

mfsinfo /dev/hdc
Thanks for your reply. I still couldn't get mfstools to work, without filling the screen with garbage, so after two other PCs which did the same, I've finally found an old Dual Pentium Pro motherboard which is working

mfstools info reports Standalone 39 hour tivo

I making a few backups to three different hard drives.

But I have discovered it is definately the hard drive, because in the final PC, I observed the same spin-up/power-up problem, the drive is lazy, a small tap with the end of the screwdriver and it span-up, so I'll back it up, get a new hard drive and restore the image.

any special switches I need to restore? Thanks for all your help.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've purchased a Seagate 40GB drive today, cheaply from a local shop, to check if I can get this Tivo working, (I've got an arrangement with the shop, it's more of a loan drive) if I can I'll purchase a larger Seagate or Samsung drive.

I'm trying to restore the tivo.bak image and I get the error message First Target Drive Too Small, I've ssearched the forums, and found this is a common error, both drives are 40GB, but Linux reports them slightly differently.

Quantum Tivo drive - 40027
Seagate drive - 39956

I assume this is the problem, and the only thing I can do is find a larger hard drive!

I've even tried piping the out from mfsbackup to mfsrestore, but I get the same error message.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
blindlemon said:
Yes, this is one of those unusual cases where an error message from software actually means what it says :)

You might as well just get a big drive now and be done with it. I would think the chance of it being anything other than a drive problem after all you've described is almost nil.
What still puzzles me is that I get no display from either SCART or RF from the TiVo after power is applied.

I think someone commented that, if the system board detects a drive spin-up, it displays the Welcome, Powering-Up please wait.

With all the working hard drives I have here, and I've tried 10, I don't get any visual indictation anymore that the system board is alive. Fan and Green LED are on.

Can you confirm this is correct?

Although signal on SCART does change, as if some signal is there on the output.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
blindlemon said:
Normally if you put a working (but non-TiVo) drive into the TiVo then you will see the "Powering up..." message but it won't go any further than that. You do need to connect the IDE cable though - otherwise the drive will spin up but the screen will remain blank as the TiVo's BIOS can't detect anything connected.
Yes, that's the worry, I've not seen any Powering Up.. message even when connecting the drive cable recently, after it reset three times.

My AV channel changes from no-signal (black) to TiVo gray background, but with no text! Apart from a White scan line at the very top of the screen only when I connect a hard drive.

No hard drive connected at power-up Black Screen no output.

Which makes me think the problem is more serious.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've noticed from observation that the TiVo has always had problems starting-up the TiVo hard disc when installed in the TiVo, the LED on the hard drive just blinks. Tivo success rate (1%). When it does start it displays Powering Up.. message, and then dies and restarts a three times, until the drive doesn't spin up.

The hard drive always starts most of the time when installed in a PC. (99%).

I decided to connect the Tivos hard drive to a PC's power supply connected to a pc motherboard to load it and turn the ATX psu on.

The Tivo hard drive spins up, Welcome. Powering-Up... Message, Almost There. A Few More Seconds Please... Tivo video and menu and a working Tivo.

I have a possible theroy, that maybe the TiVo hard drive is faulty, and drawing more current than the Tivo psu can maintain (this is a new psu) , and hence it cannot start-up the drive at power-on.

I think it's time to purchase that large hard drive. Thanks for all your help, any recommendations on hard drives, I was probably going to purchase a Seagate with a 5 year warranty.

PS This TiVo does not output a Powering Up.. message when connecting a non-Tivo drive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Now, I've got the the Tivo up and running, I can see looking at the logs, that the Tivo drive is failing

Jan 8 19:04:17 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 967710 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:04:17 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:17 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=967710
Jan 8 19:04:17 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:04:17 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:17 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=967710
Jan 8 19:04:20 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:04:20 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1047038 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:04:20 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:20 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1047038
Jan 8 19:04:20 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:04:20 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:20 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1047038
Jan 8 19:04:26 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:04:26 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1155734 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:04:26 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:26 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1155734
Jan 8 19:04:26 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:04:26 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:26 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1155734
Jan 8 19:04:30 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:04:30 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 950532 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:04:30 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:30 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=950532
Jan 8 19:04:30 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:04:30 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:30 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=950532
Jan 8 19:04:52 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:04:52 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 956262 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:04:52 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:52 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=956262
Jan 8 19:04:52 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:04:52 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:52 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=956262
Jan 8 19:04:56 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:04:56 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1058628 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:04:56 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:56 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1058628
Jan 8 19:04:56 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:04:56 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:04:56 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1058628
Jan 8 19:05:00 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:05:00 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 951018 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:05:00 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:05:00 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=951018
Jan 8 19:05:00 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:05:00 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:05:00 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=951018
Jan 8 19:05:09 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:05:09 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1138382 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:05:09 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:05:09 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1138382
Jan 8 19:05:09 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:05:09 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:05:09 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1138382
Jan 8 19:05:17 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:05:17 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 985376 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:05:17 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:05:17 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=985376
Jan 8 19:05:17 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:05:17 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:05:17 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=985376
Jan 8 19:07:40 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:07:40 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1751222 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:07:40 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:07:40 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1751222
Jan 8 19:07:40 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:07:40 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:07:40 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=1, LBAsect=1751222
Jan 8 19:20:51 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:20:51 (none) kernel: tivo_dma_intr() called with DMA still running, abort it!
Jan 8 19:20:51 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:20:51 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=8, LBAsect=190478
Jan 8 19:20:51 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:20:51 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:20:51 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=8, LBAsect=190478
Jan 8 19:32:11 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:32:11 (none) kernel: tivo_dma_intr() called with DMA still running, abort it!
Jan 8 19:32:11 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:32:11 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=2, LBAsect=689600
Jan 8 19:32:11 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:32:11 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:32:11 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=2, LBAsect=689600
Jan 8 19:35:01 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:35:01 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1956742 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:35:01 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:35:01 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=16, LBAsect=1956742
Jan 8 19:35:01 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:35:01 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:35:01 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=16, LBAsect=1956742
Jan 8 19:34:46 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:34:46 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1956742 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:34:46 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:34:46 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=16, LBAsect=1956742
Jan 8 19:34:46 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:34:46 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:34:46 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=16, LBAsect=1956742
Jan 8 19:34:54 (none) kernel: IDE: calling handler with dma_running, altstat=0x51
Jan 8 19:34:54 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1956742 bailed with DMA running
Jan 8 19:34:54 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:34:54 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=16, LBAsect=1956742
Jan 8 19:34:54 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 8 19:34:54 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 8 19:34:54 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }, secCnt=16, LBAsect=1956742

So hopefully, a new drive will cure the fault.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
einstein said:
Now, I've got the the Tivo up and running, I can see looking at the logs, that the Tivo drive is failing

<big snip?

So hopefully, a new drive will cure the fault.
and then after a call home to Tivo it did this:-

me thinks it's hard drive for certain now!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Replacement 300GB Seagate hard drive arrived today from Dabs, restored the backup, expanded the disk.

Tivo works fine with 320+ hours Basic Quality.

I've left the new psu in as well, so hopefully this will last another 5 years!

blindlemon: Thanks for all your help.

It's on test for a few weeks, before returning to Dad!

1 - 19 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.