TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
atmuscarella said:
Found this article about hard drive failure interesting:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=156&tag=nl.e622

The thing that stood out for me was they said heat didn't matter until you got over 104 F.

Thanks,
Many of us have been using 7200 RPM drives for upgrades, that may reduce life also as TiVo, until lately, used 5400 RPM drives.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
also - heavy use only has an effect on drive failure - early in the drives life. So the heavy use in a TiVo drive does not effect if the drive lasts 4 or more years just 4 or more months.

overall I sure would like to know what drives google stopped buying after finishing the study

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I bought a pair of 7200rpm 80GB Maxtors on the same day at the same store to be used in the same DTiVo. One failed in a month. A year later the replacement failed. One of the original drives is still working more than 4 years later, the other drive is about 3 years old.

·
I'm back!
35,852 Posts
atmuscarella said:
The thing that stood out for me was they said heat didn't matter until you got over 104 F.
"Ambient" temperature for a hard drive is the temperature of the inside of the PC it's installed in.

My TiVo is currently running at 45C - about 113 F (it's inside a closed cabinet).

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
My Samsungs, purchased in Spring 2004 are working fine. One spent almost a year in TiVo duty, the other in my daily banger PC.

My WD 160GB, now in my TiVo, has been working straight since Summer 2005.
(On a UPS).

My only drive falures have been due to ID 10 T errors.

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
For critical business and home files, why do you care about failure. Just put the drives on mirrored RAID 1, and let lightning strike whenever it wants.

For Video drives on the server- who cares. Video is cheap, and redundant drives are not. A Tivo will refill a 300GB drive in very short order. I don't want to re-rip my dvd collection anytime soon (actually I am only half way through if that) so I have a safe copy of those.

Every one that failed was very hot when it went, so I have gone over the top with ventilation (big pusher and puller fans).

·
Registered
683 Posts
I finally quit putting two hard drives into my Tivo's.

I think that's been the most successful thing I have done. Dunno if it's too much internal heat, too much of a load on the power supply, or a combination of that or other factors but I haven't had a failure since.

Well, that and the last time I quit using WD hard drives and threw some segate's in there :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
davezatz said:
I assume you mean that figuratively since lightning could blow both (or more) drives in a RAID. ;)
He made me think of this customer one time that hit a bug in server file system that caused it to trash the drive. Of course right before it did it replicated the bug to the backup mirror server. Dual mirrored raid 5 systems both trashed at once without a hardware failure.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
SugarBowl said:
How many hard drives do most people have fail in a lifetime? I've never had a hard drive fail. Not in Tivo, or any of my computers.
They use to fail a lot more often. Reliability has gone way up on them in the last 10 years. When it happens it often happens all at once with no warning. Everything is gone. It's a memorable event.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally Posted by SugarBowl
How many hard drives do most people have fail in a lifetime? I've never had a hard drive fail. Not in Tivo, or any of my computers.
I used to be in IT support for a fairly large organization (40,000+/- users) and we replaced allot of hard drives we had a bad run of maxtors in 2 differant batches of computers about 3 years apart - the second batch was so bad that Gateway ended up replacing all the hards after about 50% of the drives had failed.

Personally I have only had one drive fail in my home and it was within the first few days of its life, the others lasted as long as the computers.

Thanks,

·
Registered
644 Posts
I used to say that I never had any hard drives fail as well. Until this last year I have had 3 different WD drives fail, all out of my home server PC. They have all been running for around 5-6 years so that seemed to be a preety good run.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.