TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a spoiler thread for Season 5. Normally I wouldn't use spoiler tags in a spoiler thread but this isn't about season 5, so

handmaid's tail renewed for a 6th and final season. Although season 6 likely won't be the end of Gilead. Showrunner Bruce Miller is working on a show based on the next book - The Testaments.

Ok done with spoiler tags.

Season 5
Couple of thoughts

1) I still don't know where Cmdr Lawrence & Nick's loyalties lie.
2) Sure it could be argued that Serena is a lot less to blame than Fred, but she has plenty of warcrimes herself. I don't like that she was allowed to go back to Gilead
but
3) Glad she did. Hopefully Luke is onboard now with June and ready to join the fight.
4) Cmdr Putnam needs to die. Painfully.
5) I've always liked Janine. But I wouldn't be terribly sad is she died, Esther lived and Esther was able to blame the tainted chocolates on Putnam. But that's a pipe-dream. But it'll be interesting to see what happens and how much guilt and / or blame Lydia has for what happened under her watch (again).
Lydia has too many problems controlling these girls.

I think my wife and I may be this show's biggest fans. So glad it's back!

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,847 Posts
I ended up watching this after swearing I was going to wait and binge, because there was little else on this weekend. Very slow moving, especially the first episode. I'm a bit tired of June's vendetta, and you can see that a lot of her friends are ready to move on. I supposed if my daughter was still there, That would be my goal, to get her out, but perhaps not exactly plot revenge at this point. My assumption is that the girl standing with Serena at the memorial was Hannah? I guess Serena was trying to show June that she still held a LOT of the cards, including Hannah.

·
I am Groot!
64,403 Posts
There are a couple of things they do that rip me violently out of the story. One is to remind us that Gilead has only existed for a few years (Hannah was already school-aged when it was still America, which means that Gilead went from nothing to the fully-realized and fully-alien society we now see within about 5 or 6 years, which is insane...it should be more like 5 or 6 decades). Another is Serena's complete and utter ignorance of how the society that SHE CREATED treats women, and her constant expectation that she, a woman, should have more of a say in things than she does (which is to say, none whatsoever).

I think it's the same problem Hunger Games faced, as it moved from a parable to trying to describe a fully-realized society; but the starting point really only works as a parable, and trying to turn it into a functional world only emphasizes how absurd it all is.

·
Premium Member
11,046 Posts
There are a couple of things they do that rip me violently out of the story. One is to remind us that Gilead has only existed for a few years (Hannah was already school-aged when it was still America, which means that Gilead went from nothing to the fully-realized and fully-alien society we now see within about 5 or 6 years, which is insane...it should be more like 5 or 6 decades). Another is Serena's complete and utter ignorance of how the society that SHE CREATED treats women, and her constant expectation that she, a woman, should have more of a say in things than she does (which is to say, none whatsoever).

I think it's the same problem Hunger Games faced, as it moved from a parable to trying to describe a fully-realized society; but the starting point really only works as a parable, and trying to turn it into a functional world only emphasizes how absurd it all is.
In the case of Serena I think its the devil you know vs the one you dont. She thinks she is royalty so to speak and if she went to Canada she would have no leverage at all. Now I think she is wrong as in freedom is better than the risk of being put down but I don't she so far believes they would do that to her.

·
I am Groot!
64,403 Posts
In the case of Serena I think its the devil you know vs the one you dont. She thinks she is royalty so to speak and if she went to Canada she would have no leverage at all. Now I think she is wrong as in freedom is better than the risk of being put down but I don't she so far believes they would do that to her.
I'm talking about her position as a woman in Gilead throughout the series...she's the one who created the system they live under, yet she seems to believe that she should have the kind of rights that she has take away from women...and she's always surprised when it doesn't work out that way.

·
Premium Member
11,046 Posts
I'm talking about her position as a woman in Gilead throughout the series...she's the one who created the system they live under, yet she seems to believe that she should have the kind of rights that she has take away from women...and she's always surprised when it doesn't work out that way.
Doesn’t that apply today to all the congressman and other supporting you know who and then get subsequently screwed.

·
I am Groot!
64,403 Posts
Doesn’t that apply today to all the congressman and other supporting you know who and then get subsequently screwed.
But this is a case where she...specifically SHE...created a society where women have no power and no voice. And then she expects to have power and a voice.

·
Premium Member
11,046 Posts
But this is a case where she...specifically SHE...created a society where women have no power and no voice. And then she expects to have power and a voice.
Look at all the women leaders today taking away women power like abortion and possible marriage choices. I think Serena Genuinely thought the rules did not apply To her until they do. Sort of like TFG.

·
I am Groot!
64,403 Posts
Look at all the women leaders today taking away women power like abortion and possible marriage choices. I think Serena Genuinely thought the rules did not apply To her until they do. Sort of like TFG.
But this is orders of magnitude more than that. She literally took all power away from all women, period. Not much wiggle room there...

You'd think that even if she's the biggest idiot on Earth and somehow believed she was exempt from being a woman, losing a finger over reading a book might have clued her in. But apparently not...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts