TiVo Community Forum banner
661 - 680 of 740 Posts

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
They are a game to me like bingo. Now, after the first 5 or 10 minutes, I can pretty much call most of them - the 1:45 conflict and the resolve. I think I've almost cracked the formula. It's great though when they surprise me.

Hmm... an artist reluctant to show their work... and the other is in charge of a marketing campaign... I wonder if the artist's work will be used to save the day?
She starts the movie with a boyfriend or maybe a fiance... hmm... what's his shelf life going to be? He seems a little controlling... oh! he's a real estate developer - kiss of death! Take a drink if the starting boyfriend tries to sell the lead woman's business without her consent.

70 movies surveyed(so far), mostly produced by Hallmark, and a lot from Lifetime...
- Most Hallmark movies pass the Bectel Test, and many pass the reverse. But I'm pretty generous - sometimes, it comes down to one 2-line conversation. But since they're mostly RomComs or RomDrams, most of the scene pairings tend to be male-female, and the same-sex scenes tend to be about the potential romantic partner.
- 18 involve magic, 7 involve fate/destiny/coincidence
- 8 star Lacey Chabert, 5 Alicia Witt, 3 Danica McKellar, and 3 feature Cynthia Gibb
- 16 have, or imply Santa, 4 have Mrs. Clause
- 7 have a lead character named Holly, and 1 has a secondary named Holly
- 8 involve a conflict with real estate sales or development. Consistently, real estate developers tend to be evil.
- 16 one or both leads are writers/journalists/bloggers. I guess "write what you know," right?
- 11 plots involve celebrities or royalty
- 10 involve marketing or advertising
- 5 involve a chef or cook
- 4 involve designing or manufacturing clothing
- 4 involve lawyers

and I haven't been tracking concealed identity, but i gotta say: lots of those!
Actually, isn't the conflict usually around 1:35 with resolution around 1:53?

·
Retired
15,593 Posts
Started the free trial with frndly yesterday. Pretty happy with the dvr service, but really hate the guide interface...though it's not any better or worse than most streaming services. TiVo interface has spoiled me.

Watched and enjoyed Christmas with the Darlings. The kids were cute and not annoying! Don't remember the leads from any other movies and I liked them, too.
I had cancelled frndly after Xmas last year. Just got a reminder from them that the Hallmark Holiday movies start Oct 22. I expect I'll re-up with frndly again this year unless someone has a better suggestion?

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
I’m ok with frndly. It does what we need it to but I think their app could use some refinement.

Reactions: Peter000

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
So far, I like frndly, but yeah, I agree their interface could be better.
I think their customer service is actually open to hearing feedback though - I've complained about a few times, and they seemed receptive to hear it. (Though the interface hasn't changed)

What's stressful though is that starting a month or so ago, last year's Christmas movies started expiring from the DVR service, and I'm still not fully caught up.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
So far, I like frndly, but yeah, I agree their interface could be better.
I think their customer service is actually open to hearing feedback though - I've complained about a few times, and they seemed receptive to hear it. (Though the interface hasn't changed)

What's stressful though is that starting a month or so ago, last year's Christmas movies started expiring from the DVR service, and I'm still not fully caught up.
But it's possible there may be more recent airings of the old movies……

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Bill Abbott wasn't kidding saying he wanted to compete with Hallmark. Just watched the Christmas preview special on gacFamily. They got a nice variety of the well known names from Hallmark. Debbie Matenoupolis and Cameron Mathison with most of the Home and Family cast were hosting.

New movies coming with Jill Wagner, Jen Lilley, Cindy Busby, Susie Abromeit, Rukiya Bernard, Trevor Donovan, Cameron Mathison, Merritt Patterson, Chad Michael Murray, Jessica Lowndes. Lori Loughlin returning in When Hope Calls Christmas

Home Page - GAC Family

·
Finally an Avatar!
5,407 Posts
Bill Abbott wasn't kidding saying he wanted to compete with Hallmark. Just watched the Christmas preview special on gacFamily. They got a nice variety of the well known names from Hallmark. Debbie Matenoupolis and Cameron Mathison with most of the Home and Family cast were hosting.

New movies coming with Jill Wagner, Jen Lilley, Cindy Busby, Susie Abromeit, Rukiya Bernard, Trevor Donovan, Cameron Mathison, Merritt Patterson, Chad Michael Murray, Jessica Lowndes. Lori Loughlin returning in When Hope Calls Christmas

Home Page - GAC Family
It's very annoying that I seem to have this channel in SD but not HD with Xfinity, unless it is on another channel I am not finding. The HD channel should be 1620 but it says it is not authorized. I tried to add it on my Chromecast but it gives me some error about YouTube.

The error says, "To watch YouTube TV on this device, you'll need to sign up with a subscription first. If you have a subscription already, you'll just need to check that it uses the same email as your primary Assistant account." This is strange since GAC Family has nothing to do with YouTube according to a Google search.

Hmmm...I guess Google is wrong. I found GAC Family in the YouTube app. So strange!!

·
It's Just TV
27,229 Posts
Verizon FiOS doesn't seem to currently have the second of the two GAC channels. Hell, I am surprised they have any at this point. They had the older GAC channel, but dropped it in a carriage fight about 2 months ago now. In the last few weeks it seems they brought in GAC Living on ch. 635 (HD, 135 SD)

The older channel for GAC was 660 and that seems to want to be GAC Family, but, well, it isn't currently. Instead it turns up the "Unauthorized channel" message or similar. Actually currently it is not giving any error message, but also isn't giving any programming. Guide data is there for it, but that is all I currently have.

I'd love to see that channel carried too, and hopefully it will be soon. It seems that Verizon is just dragging on getting it done.

·
Finally an Avatar!
5,407 Posts
There is a movie coming up on GAC Family called The Great Christmas Switch about identical twins (played by Sarah Lind) who switch places to get away from their lives for a little while. There was a Hallmark movie in 2017 called Switched for Christmas, which was about identical twins (both played by Candace Cameron Bure) who switch places to get away from their lives for a little while. Does this sound too similar to anyone else or is it just me?

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
I think they are always recycling ideas

661 - 680 of 740 Posts