TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 180 Posts

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a few inveterate fans of the Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries out there. Let this thread be a place to discuss them, either in sincere appreciation or just plain snark.

The Washington Post published an article today (Dec. 10, 2017) about the Hallmark Channel's Christmas movies and how they've become quite popular viewing during this time of political upheaval. The link is We can't take any more of 2017, so we've turned to the Hallmark Channel in desperation (probably behind a paywall, alas).

I've been watching the Hallmark Channel's movies for several years now, because there's almost always original programming available on Saturday nights. And right now, I'm watching it most of the time (along with HGTV) because I need to escape from "all that stuff out there." You know what I'm talking about.

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upcoming original air dates:

Tonight (12/10): "Sharing Christmas" on Hallmark Channel, "Karen Kingsbury's Maggie's Christmas Miracle" on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

Saturday, 12/16: "Christmas Next Door" on Hallmark Channel, "Rocky Mountain Christmas" on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

Sunday, 12/17: "The Christmas Connection" on Hallmark Channel, "Romance at Reindeer Lodge" on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

Note: If you don't have both channels, do not despair. Hallmark Channel usually airs an HM&M movie the following week. If you watch every movie marked "(2017)," you should catch them all.

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While Christmas is the main focus of Hallmark movies, it also does a few for Valentine's Day, springtime in general, the Fourth of July, and autumn (Halloween and Thanksgiving).

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It wasn't in my guide so I looked at the website; it says: Premieres Friday, December 22nd at 9/8c
Perhaps that's when it premieres on the Hallmark Channel? Because I've got my TiVo set to record it on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries at 9 p.m. 12/16.

Also, both of my Hallmark channels are marked as Eastern feeds. Could they differ from schedules on the Western feeds?

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You left out Candace Cameron Bure (her fans call her “CCB”), who’s done at least 12 movies. (I’m not sure, though, if that number includes the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries.)

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The Psych movie hung a lantern on Maggie Lawson's Hallmark work. Is she in a new holiday movie?
Yes, it premiered Saturday night. "Christmas Encore," with one of Hallmark's favorite male leads, Brennan Elliot. However, that movie may have been referring to her earlier Hallmark movie, "My Favorite Wedding," which aired in June (which, of course, is Hallmark's Wedding Month).

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And so, when does Candace Cameron Bure play the Hallmark movie nice Jewish girl who leaves home and her small town for Chicago as a young adult, having been spurned by her boyfriend and vowing never to return to a small town, only to return home on the first day of Chanukah years later (her father having died the year before, leaving her mother alone), bumping into a nice, cute Jewish boy (played by Milo Ventimiglia?) while shopping for food for the first nite festivities, and then bumping into him each Chanukah day thereafter until they are firmly in love, and engaged, by the eighth day of Chanukah, at which point she reveals all to her mother who then winks into the camera as the scene, fades - to - black . . . ? ;)
Hallmark did do a Hasidic-themed movie once, "Loving Leah," with Lauren Ambrose, in 2009. The male lead feels compelled to marry his rabbi brother's widow, Leah, to honor him via the ancient Jewish law of yibbum (levirate marriage). This was a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie, where they have a larger budget and bigger-name stars.

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I learned something just now from "Karen Kingsbury's Maggie's Christmas Miracle." If you add up all the gifts you get during the 12 Days of Christmas, the total is 364 -- all the days of the year except for Christmas.

(Note: Remember that you get a partridge in a pear tree every day, so that's 12 partridges. You get two turtle doves every day for 11 days, so that's 22 turtle doves. And so on.)

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Hallmark Channel is going to run its 2017 Christmas movies without commercial interruptions from 8 p.m. Christmas Eve all through Christmas Day. (Each movie is trimmed to 90 minutes.)

Then again, the entire network is basically a commercial, so... :)

Related news: There was some foofooraw on Twitter about Netflix twitting people who watched its "A Christmas Prince" movie every day for 18* days in a row. The Washington Post even wrote an article about it. Apparently it aired on Lifetime Channel last night, so I recorded it for watching later today.

(*Edited to correct erroroneous number of days.)

The Post points out that "American commoner meets European royalty" is a whole sub-genre.

Hallmark did its own versions in recent years, one with Danica McKellar ("A Crown for Christmas" in 2015) and another with Lacey Chabert ("A Royal Christmas" in 2014). Both of these will air next weekend, the former on Dec. 22 at 6 a.m. (!), and the latter on Dec. 23 at 10 p.m.

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
No, Roger Moore was in "A Princess for Christmas," first aired in December 2011. That starred Katie McGrath, who currently plays Lena Luthor on "Supergirl."

Moore plays a duke, but his son is a prince. Which is generally not how nobility works.

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Looks like Lacey is, in fact, the Hallmark Queen. I counted 11 movies with Lacey. Next is Candace Cameron Bure, with 9 movies. But Candace also has done the Aurora Teagarden mystery series for Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

·
Grumpy Poster
53,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
An example of how plots get recycled:

The movie The Holiday came out in 2006, starring Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, and Jack Black. The story of two women who swap houses (one in L.A., the other in the bucolic British countryside) and find romance (with one woman's brother and a quirky composer). Not highly regarded at the time, it's become a "modern Christmas classic" (well, according to Wikipedia, anyway).

So Hallmark has done not one, but two movies with the same plot, with slight alterations:

Trading Christmas, originally aired in 2011, where a woman in Washington State and a man in Boston swap homes and find romance (with the man's brother and the woman's sassy best friend, respectively). Starring Faith Ford, Tom Cavenaugh, and Gil Bellows. Ostensibly based on a Debbie Macomber novel, but I'd guess that Debbie got that idea from somewhere else...

Finding Christmas, originally aired in 2013, where two men swap homes in New York City and rural North Carolina and, of course, find romance (with the Carolina man's sister and the New Yorker's sassy assistant). Starring Tricia Helfer and three attractive actors you've never heard of.

1 - 18 of 180 Posts