TiVo Community Forum banner
1601 - 1620 of 1645 Posts

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,601 ·
TWP 2.1 won't load older modules without modification - the code is substantially different. It comes with quite a few built-in, though.
djl is right regarding TivoWeb modules. In fact, I think hackman may be the only non-standard module that plays well with TWP 2.1, though there may be others I don't know about.

But other hacks, such as mfs_ftp, autospace, endpad, etc. are totally independent of TWP and work just fine. dvrpedia is a good source of information about other hacks and TiVo hacking in general.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have that feature in hackman which, to the best of my knowledge, is limited to version 3.0 and up, but I haven't tested/refined it with 3.5, as I don't have any machines with that version loaded.
I've tried occasionally but without any success.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been using Hackman with no problem since completing setup/install yesterday. WOW - what an improvement over the previous versions I used years ago. Anyway, I think I might have messed up. I ask Hackman to rebuild it's file (I forget the menu title exactly) and after saying something to the effect that it would be right back, I've not seen it since on the TWP menu. I'm starting to re-read documents and look at logs, but I hope I didn't mess something up. Reason I did this was that it was showing mfs_ftp and running (i.e. no STOP icon) and I couldn't figure out why not since everything with mfs_ftp was okay via telnet.

Can someone advise what I need to do to get Hackman back on TWP menu?

P.S. I tried the procedure in the hackman documentation which states:

"If hackman will not load for some reason, delete any prior /config/hackman.cfg file. This causes hackman to reset the default settings and should allow hackman to load properly.
Procedure:
1. From ftp or telnet, delete the old /config/hackman.cfg file
2. Do a Quit and Restart from TivoWebPlus"

and I note (with concern) that there is no hackman.cfg file in the (TWP) config directory. So, there's nothing to delete to follow the procedure above. Also, a reboot of the tivo does not result in Hackman appearing on TWP menu. i.e. it seems to be gone! And I can't find info in logs (still looking for right log) on what might have happened. As far as the TWP log goes, hackman seems to have vanished (no mention of it in that log).

·
C64 hacker
100 Posts
Which version of TWP are you using? With later versions, you'll usually find the active config files in /var/TWP/config. If it exists, that's the hackman.cfg that you need to remove.

I've been using Hackman with no problem since completing setup/install yesterday. WOW - what an improvement over the previous versions I used years ago. Anyway, I think I might have messed up. I ask Hackman to rebuild it's file (I forget the menu title exactly) and after saying something to the effect that it would be right back, I've not seen it since on the TWP menu. I'm starting to re-read documents and look at logs, but I hope I didn't mess something up. Reason I did this was that it was showing mfs_ftp and running (i.e. no STOP icon) and I couldn't figure out why not since everything with mfs_ftp was okay via telnet.

Can someone advise what I need to do to get Hackman back on TWP menu?

P.S. I tried the procedure in the hackman documentation which states:

"If hackman will not load for some reason, delete any prior /config/hackman.cfg file. This causes hackman to reset the default settings and should allow hackman to load properly.
Procedure:
1. From ftp or telnet, delete the old /config/hackman.cfg file
2. Do a Quit and Restart from TivoWebPlus"

and I note (with concern) that there is no hackman.cfg file in the (TWP) config directory. So, there's nothing to delete to follow the procedure above. Also, a reboot of the tivo does not result in Hackman appearing on TWP menu. i.e. it seems to be gone! And I can't find info in logs (still looking for right log) on what might have happened. As far as the TWP log goes, hackman seems to have vanished (no mention of it in that log).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found my error after finding the location in the Kernal log where Hackman reports what's going on as it tries to startup. For some reason my ppc_bin files were corrupted. Don't know why but it was apparent from error messages like those in earlier post. So, now I've recopied the appropriate ppc files back into the right place, restarted TWP, and all seems to be well.

I feel really stupid. But I did learn a few things while searching for messages.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have that feature in hackman which, to the best of my knowledge, is limited to version 3.0 and up, but I haven't tested/refined it with 3.5, as I don't have any machines with that version loaded.
It looks like sendkey is the crucial element along with having TWP start asap after the boot?

I have a 3.5c DTiVO and have a sendkey.tcl in /tvlib/tcl/tv that has a lot of code that resembles what you have in hackman_util.tcl. Not being a real tcl coder, what should I be looking for?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
When I try sorting as is with 3.5c I end up without sorting on and one tuner on channel 4 and the other tuner on channel 9.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I discovered the Dailymail function (now deprecated by Dailmail_jazz?). Anyway, the forum for that is huge but I tried to look for compatibility entries with TWP 2.x. There were quite a few and the opinions seemed mixed. It was hard for me to draw a conclusion as to whether either of these two versions could be made to work with TWP 2.x. It seemed that there was some indications that it could be done by referring some of the Dailymail references back to an installation of TivoWeb1.2.x (or TiwoWebPlus 1.9.x?). I was hoping for "sticky" about this but haven't found one yet. Can anyone advise as to what might work or could be made to work with TWP 2.1.x? I'd really like to try Dailymail_jazz (or it's predecessor) but I don't want to screw up my working (really NICE!) TWP 2.1.x installation. Thanks in advance.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,609 ·
ronsch, I can't help with the sendkey question, since I don't have 3.5 available to me. I did copy the sendkey code to avoid compatibility problems, but I have no way of testing/debugging on 3.5.

As for Dailymail, I run it on my TiVos by having an installation of the old TivoWeb 1.9.4 (not running) on my machines. I edit the Dailymail cfg to point to the appropriate 1.9.4 files. The e-mail settings are a bit tricky, but once it's set up right, it works fine.

I even wrote a little script (attached) to send e-mail on startup. Put a reference to it in your rc.sysinit.author file and you'll get an apologetic e-mail when the TiVo reboots. It runs off the same cfg file as dailymail.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
David,

I was hoping for some hints about how to go about trying to see what was happening? Now that football season is over I will have some time to play on the weekend. I intentionally reboot my DTiVo almost every night via the cron script that checks to make sure that no scheduled recordings are in progress.

It would be nice to be able to automatically set the Sort Now Playing each time.

·
I Wish I knew Then..
368 Posts
[hijack thread]

Didn't know about dailymail. It is way cool. Installed it. I Like it!

[/hijack thread]

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,612 ·
See my signature for the latest hackman version which fixes a couple of bugs and adds a feature to clean up the main TiVo menu and get rid of the promo and showcase items.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I new to working on my tivo, but have had some help from a local brain. I have one fully functional Zippered series 2 tivo working...able to run tytools and tivoserver just fine, no issues. I recently set up another unit in my living room. Ran the same zipper on it. I have mrv working between the two units, which is great. I can telnet and ftp to the second unit just fine. I can access the second unit via tivowebplus. I followed the instructions for Hackman, ftp'd the .tgz file to /var/hack and ran it. I restarted TWP. Hackman is not showing up. Here is the log from TWP and my telnet session from running Hackman.

Please help me get Hackman running!!
den-bash# cd /var/hack
den-bash# ls
TivoWebPlus doc hackman-V7.1.0.tgz
bin etc share
den-bash# tar xvzf hackman-V7.1.0.tgz
TivoWebPlus/
TivoWebPlus/.dist/
TivoWebPlus/.dist/update.sh
TivoWebPlus/bin_mips/
TivoWebPlus/bin_mips/find
TivoWebPlus/bin_mips/sendkey
TivoWebPlus/bin_ppc/
TivoWebPlus/bin_ppc/find
TivoWebPlus/bin_ppc/SendKey
TivoWebPlus/docs/
TivoWebPlus/docs/Hackman -- LICENSES.txt
TivoWebPlus/docs/hackman_changes.txt
TivoWebPlus/docs/hackman_README.txt
TivoWebPlus/docs/hackman_ReadMe7.1.htm
TivoWebPlus/docs/reloadmode
TivoWebPlus/images/
TivoWebPlus/images/altbootbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/backdoorbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/bootbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/brownbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/bufferbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/conflictbootbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/greenbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/helpbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/killbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/nobootbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/rebootbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/redbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/images/xPluszbutton.png
TivoWebPlus/modules/
TivoWebPlus/modules/fileutilities.itcl
TivoWebPlus/modules/hackman.cfg
TivoWebPlus/modules/hackman.itcl
TivoWebPlus/modules/hackman.pia
TivoWebPlus/modules/hackman_create_cfg.tcl
TivoWebPlus/modules/hackman_util.tcl
TivoWebPlus/modules/varbackup
TivoWebPlus/modules/xPlusz.itcl
TivoWebPlus/themes/
TivoWebPlus/themes/hackman.css
den-bash#

Using data dir /var/TWP
Starting TWP pid=288
TivoWebPlus - v2.1.b2 (2.1.b2 (oztivo-071217))
The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This program is licensed under the GPL.
See the 'docs/copyright' and 'docs/index.html' files
for copyright and credit information.
Loading libs...
btutils
html
http
index
rec
sendkey
timezone
ui
util
TimeZone: US
-running init_channelList--- completed in 0 seconds
-running init_logoindex--- completed in 0 seconds
-running init_sp_cache--- completed in 0 seconds
rss_util
Loading modules...Building menus...
Loading completed in 7 seconds
Opening port 80
Accepting Connections
Preload Favs done
xxx.xxx.x.xxx - - [14/Mar/2009 10:05:36] /
- [14/Mar/2009:14:20:33] running CleanupGlobals
xxx.xxx.x.xxx - - [14/Mar/2009 17:00:35] /
xxx.xxx.x.xxx - - [14/Mar/2009 17:00:44] /quit/m
xxx.xxx.x.xxx - - [14/Mar/2009 17:00:46] /quit/r
Using data dir /var/TWP
Starting TWP pid=745
TivoWebPlus - v2.1.b2 (2.1.b2 (oztivo-071217))
The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This program is licensed under the GPL.
See the 'docs/copyright' and 'docs/index.html' files
for copyright and credit information.
Loading libs...
btutils
html
http
index
rec
sendkey
timezone
ui
util
TimeZone: US
-running init_channelList--- completed in 0 seconds
-running init_logoindex--- completed in 0 seconds
-running init_sp_cache--- completed in 1 seconds
rss_util
Loading modules...ChannelMap,backup,channelgrid,channelprefs,confirm ,confresManual,extract,folders,gallery,gdchecker,higuide,inf o,logos,logs,mail,manrec,menus,
--Info: merge won't be loaded: it may rely on an unavailable feature (e.g. events or sendkey)
mfsbrowser,mrv,netconfig,
--Info: phone won't be loaded: it may rely on an unavailable feature (e.g. events or sendkey)
preferences,reorder,
--Info: resources won't be loaded: it may rely on an unavailable feature (e.g. events or sendkey)
rowformat,rss,
--Info: screen won't be loaded: it may rely on an unavailable feature (e.g. events or sendkey)
search,sysadmin,theme,thumbs,ui_channel,ui_compat,ui_deleted shows,ui_history,ui_listings,ui_nowshowing,ui_record,ui_sear ch,ui_season_pass,ui_series,ui_showing,ui_todo,update,
--Info: webremote won't be loaded: it may rely on an unavailable feature (e.g. events or sendkey)
whatson,wishlists, - [14/Mar/2009:21:00:57] saving module_cache.cfg
Building menus...
Loading completed in 6 seconds
Opening port 80
Accepting Connections
Preload Favs done
xxx.xxx.x.xxx - - [14/Mar/2009 17:02:58] /
xxx.xxx.x.xxx - - [14/Mar/2009 17:03:40] /logs
loading module logs (707936)
xxx.xxx.x.xxx - - [14/Mar/2009 17:03:45] /mfs
loading module mfsbrowser (733680)
xxx.xxx.x.xxx- - [14/Mar/2009 17:04:06] /logs/

thanks!!

additional info: I deleted the hackman.cfg file and had it rebuild, still no joy :( Awaiting your wisdom!

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,617 ·
Are you sure hackman is in the same directory as TWP? I think zipper puts it in root (which I don't like myself). You have to find the TivoWebPlus directory with
Code:
ffind TivoWebPlus
put the hackman.tgz file in the directory above it and then install it. Make sure the drive is set to read/write before doing this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
den-bash# ffind TivoWebPlus
/var/hack/TivoWebPlus
/TivoWebPlus
den-bash#

That is what I found....so are you saying put it in /var ?

And I'm unclear what you mean by "Make sure the drive is set to read/write before doing this."

Thank you for the assistance! I really am trying to become more competent. I've read this entire thread, the read me on the hackman site....I have some holes in my understanding of dos and how it works. But I was proud that I was able to buy a drive, make the zipper cd...install it, open up the tivo and put a new drive it and get it working to this point!! I just need a little more hand holding through this, thanks again for any and all assistance :)

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,619 ·
You're getting there...there is a TivoWebPlus directory under /var/hack (it was created when you installed hackman there), but there is also one in your root directory, and that's the real one. So try copying the hackman.tgz to / (the root directory) and installing from there.

Because the root drive should be left read-only, it won't let you copy anything to it, much less install hackman. So from the bash prompt enter "rw" and that should open it up. This is a command added by the zipper, so it should be available to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
den-bash# cd
den-bash# ls
TivoWebPlus enhancements install platform tvlib
bin etc lib proc var
busybox etccombo lost+found sbin
dev hacks mnt tmp
dist initrd opt tvbin
den-bash#

So is this the root directory? So I ftp the hackman.tgz file to this area? Or to the TivoWebPlus folder?

Do I have to delete the wrong installation of hackman in the /var/hack directory, or can I leave the mess that I made there without it interferring with the new?

Again, thank you so much for the patient and quick assistance :)

1601 - 1620 of 1645 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.