TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 556 Posts

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
The program itself has to be updated. I've included steps to add other hacks in the code, but it would be better if I did myself, had you test it, and then went public with it.

For both tyhttpd server and mfsstream please tell me:
1. The full path and name to the hack
2. The command used to start the hack
3. The command used to stop the hack (if any)

I don't have either of these hacks installed on my SA1 box, so I'll have to put together an experimental version and let you tell me if it works.

And thanks for the kind words!

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
So, what was your "directory of choice"? I'm assuming the "/path/to" is intended to represent this directory. Is that correct?

I found this at http://www.fumanchu.com/tivo/ ... does it represent where you put your files?

mfs_stream -> tivo:/var/hack/mfs/mfs_stream
readme.txt -> tivo:/var/hack/mfs/readme.txt
tyhttpd -> tivo:/var/hack/mfs/tyhttpd
mfsstream.cfg -> tivo:/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/modules/mfsstream.cfg
mfsstream.itcl -> tivo:/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/modules/mfsstream.itcl
mfscat.cfg -> tivo:/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/modules/mfscat.cfg
mfscat.itcl -> tivo:/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/modules/mfscat.itcl

Finally, is there any particular command to shut down tyhttpd? I can stop it, but it may reboot TiVo.

As far as your tivoweb directory, it is what you name it. For example, I have 1.9.4 in /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl and I have tivowebplus in /var/hack/tivowebplus. This would be editable (is that a word?) in the hackman.cfg file.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
OK, but is tyhttpd found at /var/hack/mfs/tyhttpd? If not, where did you put it? This can all be adjusted in hackman.cfg, but we might as well get it right to begin with.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I just downloaded mfsstreamweb and read the readme file. It would make sense to follow their directions and look for tyhttpd in the /modules directory.

But I also looked to see what it does -- if you're looking to stream files from the TiVo using a web interface, TivoWebPlus does that very nicely -- I use it all the time. Also, and this is speculation, TWP is using more advanced techniques -- mfsstreamweb is over two years old, which makes it ancient in TiVo hacking. But we're treading into "forbidden" territory.

Do you still want me to proceed?

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Thank you for the good words. Is this a popular hack? Maybe I should just add it into the package. In the meantime, if you would PM me your version of hackman.itcl and hackman.cfg, I'll figure it out.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Francesco, I checked the files you sent me, and you've done all the right things. Hackman does a "ps x" (actually, something very similar) to read what processes are currently running on the TiVo. The only thing I can think of is that either vfd.tcl runs but doesn't stay resident, or you have the wrong identifier defined in the "set applist" section of hackman.itcl.

With vfd running (give it a couple minutes after it starts), do "ps x" from telnet and see what a suitable identifier would be.

If vfd is not running, I would have to do some major surgery as was suggested for cachecard support. A better idea would be to make a new (#15) entry that would call "exec /bin/bash -c "$vfdpathname -stop"

The "stop" and "go" buttons would be meaningless, but you would have the functionality you want (I hope!)

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I looked at demark's original posting of this script and found this:

It's been running on mine for the past month or so. The only caveat is that you cannot just kill the process if you want to stop or restart it -- there is a good chance that your tivo will reboot. Therefore, you have to "touch /tmp/vfd.stop" and wait for it to exit normally. Remove /tmp/vfd.stop and then you can restart the script.

So where did your "-stop" command come from? Unless there's been some update to the script that provides a graceful exit, I'm afraid hackman won't be able to handle the hands-on shut-down process.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I can do this very easily -- already being done to edit rc.sysinit -- but setting the file system to read/write can be dangerous if left in the read/write mode. Is this too risky for inclusion in hackman? Or should we take the route of "personal responsibility?"

Over the next few days, I'll try to add support for EndPadPlus and release an update that will include support for a couple of other hacks not included in the original release.

And I'll add remount support if you don't think it's too risky.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I don't know of a simple way to read the read/write state. I would just set the mount to ro when hackman starts (which will probably not be necessay, but establishes the state for certain), set the control to "start" (rw), and then toggle accordingly.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Good idea, but I don't know of any exit code that is automatically called when a module is exited. Control just jumps from module to module. I plan on putting this control on the "danger" page, so people can choose to not display it if they want to play it safe.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I can't seem to replicate these problems...all works fine here. Try another download/install, and I'll do the same here -- must be a file corruption issue.

Another thought -- what model/software are you running? Maybe /var has to be explicitly made r/w. I'm setting / to r-o when hackman starts.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Originally posted by Fofer
All of my add-on software is in /hack.
I think maybe that's the problem. TiVo software locks down all the directories but /var. That might include your /hack. Did the problem with writing to the .cfg file exist in the last edition of hackman?

Typically, people keep their hacks in /var/hack to get around this problem.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
OK, I did a little experimentation and by setting the root directory to be read-only, your /hack directory is also ro. I'm doing this when hackman loads, and that's why your edits are failing. So maybe I should add a variable to the .cfg file that allows for alternate locations for hacks, such as /hack. Then when I lock down the root directory, I can open up /hack. I'll work on that.

As to the other problem with the OK/Cancel screens, I have no clue at this point.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Fofer, I'm trying to figure out why hackman editing worked before. Did you have the root directory set as read/write? If not, what did you do to /hack to allow access to it?

Originally posted by Fofer
Also, when I toggle to read/write and back to read only, there is an intermediary page that says "OK/Cancel" or just "OK" that seems to serve no purpose... there's no other text.
Are you sure there's no other text? That's what's confusing me. One page consists of:

Are you sure you want to do this?...
You'll risk corrupting your files in the event of a disk malfunction.
OK
Cancel

And the other page has:
Now setting the root directory permissions to read/write (dangerous!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: It is dangerous to leave your TiVo file system with read/write permissions.
Be sure to return permissions to read-only when you're finished!
You have been duly warned!
OK

The page for returning to read-only says:
Now setting the root directory permissions to read only (safe)
OK

I don't know how only parts of those pages (the controls) could be displayed without the rest. Maybe I will have to see your box working over the 'net.

And Fofer and Porterx, thank you both for the kind words. It will be a few days before I can get back to the permissions question, but I think its a valid point.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I should have thought of the theme possibility. Now I can sleep tonight.

But do you run your box with the root directory in read/write? I'm trying to figure out how /hack would be accessible otherwise.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
It's already there.

By the way, this is one of the easier things to modify in hackman. To add a file the way Fozzie wants, just follow these steps:
1. In hackman.cfg, add the full pathname of the file to the list of "set filexx 'pathname'"
2. Find the following line in hackman.itcl:
set filelist "$file2 $file3 $file4 $file5 $file6 $file7 $file8 $file9 $file10 $file11 $file12 $file13 $file14 Other"
3. Add $filexx to the end of the list, before "other"

These instructions will be added to the next release of hackman.

61 - 80 of 556 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.