TiVo Community Forum banner
541 - 556 of 556 Posts

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,581 ·
The ReadMe is (and always has been) included in the packages available here in the TivoWebPlus/docs directory. To my knowledge, the website hasn't been down recently.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,594 ·
cvs doesn't update hackman -- that has to be done manually or using the update feature in hackman itself. The utilities menu item is a separate module that has to be copied to the /modules directory.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,596 ·
You've identified the problem. Somehow the mips and ppc versions of find and sendkey didn't find their way into the appropriate directories. Even though yours is a ppc machine, the mips versions have to be there, too, as they're used to test what kind of machine hackman is running on.

However, it could also be a permissions problem. Be sure to chmod 755 the contents of both the bin_mips and bin_ppc directories.

Try ftp'ing the contents of the bin_mips and bin_ppc directories and trying again. And another tip...before starting TWP be sure to shut down any running instances...look on the Restart menu and select Quit.

Please report back your results and/or any other problems.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,600 ·
David,

Have you ever attempted to be able to set the Sort Now Playing on a S1 DirecTivo via Hackman?
I have that feature in hackman which, to the best of my knowledge, is limited to version 3.0 and up, but I haven't tested/refined it with 3.5, as I don't have any machines with that version loaded.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,601 ·
TWP 2.1 won't load older modules without modification - the code is substantially different. It comes with quite a few built-in, though.
djl is right regarding TivoWeb modules. In fact, I think hackman may be the only non-standard module that plays well with TWP 2.1, though there may be others I don't know about.

But other hacks, such as mfs_ftp, autospace, endpad, etc. are totally independent of TWP and work just fine. dvrpedia is a good source of information about other hacks and TiVo hacking in general.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,609 ·
ronsch, I can't help with the sendkey question, since I don't have 3.5 available to me. I did copy the sendkey code to avoid compatibility problems, but I have no way of testing/debugging on 3.5.

As for Dailymail, I run it on my TiVos by having an installation of the old TivoWeb 1.9.4 (not running) on my machines. I edit the Dailymail cfg to point to the appropriate 1.9.4 files. The e-mail settings are a bit tricky, but once it's set up right, it works fine.

I even wrote a little script (attached) to send e-mail on startup. Put a reference to it in your rc.sysinit.author file and you'll get an apologetic e-mail when the TiVo reboots. It runs off the same cfg file as dailymail.

Attachments

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,612 ·
See my signature for the latest hackman version which fixes a couple of bugs and adds a feature to clean up the main TiVo menu and get rid of the promo and showcase items.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,617 ·
Are you sure hackman is in the same directory as TWP? I think zipper puts it in root (which I don't like myself). You have to find the TivoWebPlus directory with
Code:
ffind TivoWebPlus
put the hackman.tgz file in the directory above it and then install it. Make sure the drive is set to read/write before doing this.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,619 ·
You're getting there...there is a TivoWebPlus directory under /var/hack (it was created when you installed hackman there), but there is also one in your root directory, and that's the real one. So try copying the hackman.tgz to / (the root directory) and installing from there.

Because the root drive should be left read-only, it won't let you copy anything to it, much less install hackman. So from the bash prompt enter "rw" and that should open it up. This is a command added by the zipper, so it should be available to you.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,621 ·
Here's what I'd do
Code:
rm -r /var/hack/TivoWebPlus
That gets rid of your old hackman installation -- you don't need it
Code:
mv /var/hack/hackman-V7.1.0.tgz /hackman-V7.1.0.tgz
That moves your file to a new location. Then
Code:
cd /
tar xvzf hackman-V7.1.0.tgz
That should do it! Good luck!

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,626 ·
Sorry, my first hand knowledge stops at version 6.2. I hope to graduate to HD some day, but it won't be soon.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,628 ·
I know it's been a long time and I don't know how many old TiVos and old TiVo hackers are out there, but I found a bug or two in Hackman and fixed them. They've been there for almost a year and a half, so it's doubtful than anyone really cares, but if you do, click the link in my sig.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,638 ·
The Brits do need both versions installed in separate directories, with redundant hackman installations.

aleks, try this. In the TivoWeb installation, go to the Preferences page (link at the bottom, the date unless you've changed it) and then the View paths and pathnames page. At the bottom is the option to rebuild the configuration file.

Doing that should find the TWP installation and enable switching between them.

Good luck!

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,643 ·
I rebuilt our server a month ago and neglected to enable directory browsing for the hackman website. I've fixed it, but I guess there isn't much demand for hackman anymore.

The DirecTV/TiVo revision of the channel programming which made the old 6.2a hackable MRV features (among others) obsolete forced me to mothball my seven DirecTiVos and move to DirecTV's Whole House. Pluses and minuses for sure, but I miss the old TiVos. I did set up two of them to act as program servers as they're loaded with movies and such.

So hackman, and all TiVo development is dead. As for the install problems, please read the readme on the website. hackman.tcl doesn't run from the prompt -- it has to be installed correctly and loaded by TWP.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,645 ·
Thanks. I really miss TiVo and it pains me to have a pleasurable hobby yanked out from under me. But, you're right, it was a great ten-year ride.

541 - 556 of 556 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.