TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 556 Posts

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hack Manager is a plug-in module for TivoWeb and TivoWebPlus that allows the user to start and stop TiVo hacks, such as telnet, tivoftp, TiVo Control Station, TyStudio, tytools, cron, YAC, autospace, EndPadPlus, elseed, elseedyac, ccxstream, etc.

Hackman also has the ability to edit startup scripts, including rc.sysinit, rc.sysinit.author and config files for other programs. NOTE: Please read the warnings about these features!

Hackman includes support for xPlusz commands and backdoor codes as well as incorporating JJBliss's bufferhack, KeepUpTo and TCTimout utilities, and many other features.

Hackman features
  • Starts and stops hacks in real time
  • Creates rc.sysinit.author files to simplify setting hacks to start when TiVo boots. One click and a hack is either added or removed from the startup sequence.
  • Can manage other start-up files such as hacks_callfromrcsysinit
  • Provides information about multiple start-ups and command conflicts
  • Executes backdoor commands such as setting 30-second skip
  • Sends backdoor commands to the TiVo at boottime
  • Provides a TivoWeb interface to execute xPlusz commands
  • Can switch between TivoWeb 1.9.4 and TivoWebPlus on the fly
  • Provides means to set root directory read-only or read-write
  • Sets startup parameters for EndPad, EndPadPlus, YAC and elseed
  • Support provided for TiVoVBI (closed-caption display)
  • Provides protection against reboot cycling caused by corrupted guide data
  • Remote reboot capabilities
  • Remotely executes bash command lines
  • Auto-configures itself -- no .cfg file to mess with!
  • A preference screen provides flexibility -- for example, password protection is optional, as is display of backdoor commands, bufferhacks, and the display of boot load items.
  • Set internal TiVo time and date -- helpful for an unsubbed Series 1 being used as a VCR
  • Copy active partitions to inactive partitions and flip, if needed
  • Customize the banner to say "Living Room" or "Bedroom" instead of "TivoWebPlus"
  • Adjust the time zone setting to allow for new DST start and end dates
  • On-line help
  • In development since 2004
  • Successfully tested on all TiVo models.
CAUTION: Adding or removing hacks from the startup sequence will overwrite any previous rc.sysinit.author file. A backup copy will be made, but please look at the README and plan accordingly.

Installation
NEW! Simplified installation uses the TivoWebPlus Update module. Check the readme file in the hackman.tgz file or online (link in sig). Please do read the README!

Support
Click the "About Hackman" button and look for the other pop-up links for the various menu items. Upgrades and debugging information will be found on this and other informative TiVo forums.

Acknowledgements
My appreciation goes to sanderton, cojonesdetoro, JohnSorTivo, JJBliss, EvilJack, n4zmz, BTUx9, Stan Simmons and many others who have been particularly helpful in inspiring the hackman idea and providing assistance when I spun out on the learning curve. And thanks to everyone else who has contributed to TiVo programming and together have led the way.

Here's a screen shot. If you like the theme I'm using, look here. I added the TiVo man and some local artwork.

Downloading
NOTE: Due to upload size limitations and a desire to consolidate postings, the latest version will be found here.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. I'm discovering what is and what isn't included on all TiVos. The "find" command is one of those things that is not. I'm going to pull that part out of the code. It is not necessary to run hackman.

Sorry for the problem. Look for a fix later tonight.

Update: Should be OK now. Please let me know if it works for you.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by David Platt
There's also a problem with the reboot command on Series 2 machines (DirecTiVos, anyway)-- 'reboot' doesn't work on those boxes; you have to use 'restart.'
Is the path to the reboot command /tvbin/restart? If not, what would it be?

I don't think hackman could mess up tivowebplus. I've had it running for weeks on both tivoweb 1.9.4 and tivowebplus with no such problem. It lies pretty dormant until it's asked to do something.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the suggestion, Soapbox. That's a feature I tried to incorporate into hackman, but ran into difficulties. I agree it would be an improvement and will continue to try to make it work.

UPDATE: Consolidated the paths into a single section in the latest version. And, Fozzie, thanks for the status report.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The latest beta version (in the first post) has more information in the ReadMe, a more informative variables section in hackman.itcl, and alt tags for the buttons in case they aren't installed or graphics are suppressed. No other substantive changes.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fozzie, you're right about the shell calls. They are "false" calls in that none of the shell environment elements are set, such as aliases or paths. So if it's not a bash call or if the command lives elsewhere, you're going to have to specify the full path to make it work. I consider this to be kind of a long distance way to look at a quick shell call. If I have a lot of stuff to do, I'm better off just doing a telnet session.

As for TivoWeb not shutting down, I don't know what the reason would be. That's been the accepted shutdown method that works without rebooting the TiVo. (Can't remember who to credit with figuring this out). It's worked every time for me on my Series 1 SA.

If anybody has any ideas on how to implement this on other models, please let me know. Fozzie, I assume you're running something other than 1-SA. If you're on a 1-SA, I'm really stumped!

P.S.
I just did an ls from the shell command line with no problem. And mine is also in /var/hack/bin. I think the difference is that my path statement in the TiVo boot sequence includes /var/hack/bin. That's included in the /var/hack/etc/hacks_callfromrc.sysinit which is Jeff Keegan's methods for starting stuff without messing up rc.sysinit too much.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK, the challenge is out there to all the UK'ers -- how does one shut down TivoWeb using 2.5.5 software?

As for the shell commands, I don't think it executes .profile or anything when it starts. I think you may be having success because you went to bash, executed .profile, and had your paths set. I think they need to be set explicitly in one of the boot scripts, like rc.sysinit or rc.sysinit.author.

For multiple commands, construct a single line that does everything you want it to do. For example, the following sets the directory, sends a line return and then does an ls on that directory:

cd /var/hack/bin \n ls

This is really kind of fun, isn't it?

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks to mini_me from the UK, the TivoWeb shutdown puzzle has been solved, I think. Please try out the latest version (top post in this thread) and let me know.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I left the old loopback command in just in case TivoWeb wasn't responding and this might work instead. Since, as you noted, it disappears, I figured it was harmless to leave it in and it just might help one of us yanks.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just posted a new beta -- tightened up the code and made the file 20% smaller. Other than displaying the version number, no real difference in functionality.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The latest beta version (top post in this thread) has a separate .cfg file which can be edited directly from the module (thank you tivo-onion and sanderton).

Since it is unlikely that the release configuration file will change, future updates to hackman won't require additional adjustments to your .cfg file.

All this will make initial installation and subsequent updating much easier.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I borrowed a little too much from tivo-onion's code and was trying to call a subroutine that lives in managedailymail.itcl. Worked fine as long as managedailymail.itcl was installed, but failed miserably when it wasn't. Plus it was unnecessary. So I pulled the offending line of code and have posted version 1.08 beta.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Maintenance, housekeeping and general tidying up are the hallmarks of this latest beta version, available in the first post of this thread.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Two good catches, Professor! I'm aware of the double-headed transition page and it has to do with terminating TivoWeb midstroke. I tried putting in and removing html_end commands, but I think the problem has to do with the rug being pulled out from under TivoWeb when it shuts down. I now consider it a transition "feature." If only half were 1.9.4. and the other half TivoWebPlus. Now that would be cool!

Thanks for the catch on the edit_save section. It's funny what plagarism will do to you.

I'm adding the ability to edit other text files, such as crontab, and any other /var-resident startup file, so watch for the next beta, maybe as soon as later tonight.

And thanks for the kind words.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This latest beta version (first post in thread) "borrows" sanderton's startuped.itcl concept and expands it to allow editing of other text files, such as config files for TCS, TivoWeb and hackman itself. Comments will be welcome as I approach the end of the beta stage.

Just don't remotely break your TiVo!

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The latest beta version (first post in this thread) is either a terrific service to the TiVo community or its ruination. I've added the ability to safely edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and rc.sysinit.author files. Mounting, remounting, chmod'ing, UNIX format are all taken care of. You'll note I said safely edit the file. I have no control over how people edit it, and therein lies the danger. This may be too simple and too much power in the hands of an inexperienced user.

But I've put big red warnings in the editing module and warnings in the readme files and so, acting under the assumption that we're all responsible adults willing and able to be accountable for our own actions, I offer this tool.

Now, to paraphrase Prof. Yaffle, you have the power to ruin your TiVo from anywhere in the world! Use this power wisely, Grasshopper.

(And, yes, I've tried editing my own rc.sysinit and it worked fine for me)

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Fozzie, thank you for the excellent catches...except for that favourite thing, that is. Maybe I should find an anglo-neutral alternative, such as "preferred" or "popular." I think I've dodged this issue practically everywhere else in hackman.

·
Woodstock-era Hacker
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Will do, Soapbox Kid. I'm working on adding an option to create a secondary startup file (rc.sysinit.author, hacks_callfromrc.sysinit, rc.sysinit.author.edit). I think this with each feature I add, but I think I'm getting close to the end of the development string. That is unless I get any other bright ideas or any of you do.

1 - 20 of 556 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.