TiVo Community Forum banner
11441 - 11460 of 11850 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good point, the rc.sysinit file is not the real culprit, but it was modified to load lernels and run modules which were mucked up in the ftp transfer. The rc.sysinit was modified on the HR10 via telnet, so that file should be fine. In that process, I just renamed the original file to save it for later. So I be able to go back in with the drive connected to PC/linux, and change the file back so that it doesn't call the mucked up kernels/modules.

I just want to get back to where the thing boots, because I'm pretty sure I know how I messed it up, then I will re-do it.
Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This isn't a good sign. I installed the drive as hdb, with cdrom on hda.
I boot using the zipper boot disk (ptvupgrade iso), and fdisk shows no partition table existing on the drive. Obviously, something trashed the MBR. Maybe it trashed other stuff as well.

In my research, I see there are some tricks to attempt to recover the mbr. Does anyone have any experience doing this on a HR10 drive? What Linux boot cd is best to use, etc? I have recordings on there that I REALLY would try almost anything to recover.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Successfully installed zipper. Drive booted up then rebooted itself as supposed to. Inspection of drive shows firstboot_flag removed so presumably first boot was successful.

However, I can't get access via ethernet or serial. I have a Linksys USB200M v2.1 which when plugged in flashes lights then goes completely dark. From reading the board I understand this adapter needs the backported drivers which may require running tweak.sh before they are completely installed (however I did inspect usb.map and noticed addition of driver was successful).

So now I'm down to the serial connection to try to get my Tivo working but can't connect. I tried both minicom and cutecom. Purchased and tried both a $10 dumb USB-USB serial cable and a $40 "file sharing" USB-USB cable at 115200 8N1 on both of the Tivo's USB ports, but nothing is working to get me a bash shell. Any thoughts?

Since I can mount the drive no problem I was thinking maybe I could go in and add the commands to completely install the USB drivers to rc.sysinit.author but I don't know what those commands would be.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
You don't get serial from the USB ports. You need to connect the Serial Control port (the lower 1/8" jack on the rear of the TiVo) to a serial port on your computer (you can use a USB Serial adapter if you have to, on the computer).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well there was my problem right there! Doh. Thanks. Grabbed my serial cable from my series 1 hacking days and got bash straight away.

After running the tweak.sh script, Tivo is activated and happy, however no change in Linksys USB200M v2.1 catatonia. Removing it induces the Tivo to dump an "unlinking" message to the terminal, so the Tivo can see the usb device, but just can't use it.

I'm assuming this latest zipper installs the latest backport drivers. If anyone else has encountered Linksys USB200M v2.1 problems or success would welcome any suggestions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I boot using the zipper boot disk (ptvupgrade iso), and fdisk shows no partition table existing on the drive. Obviously, something trashed the MBR.
Well, it appears that I needed to use pdisk -l /dev/hdb and mfsinfo /dev/hdb in order to see the partitions. Once I had that, I was able to mount the hdb7 partition and get my original rc.sysinit restored. Now it boots up fine again.

Thanks for the help and tips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well there was my problem right there! Doh. Thanks. Grabbed my serial cable from my series 1 hacking days and got bash straight away.

After running the tweak.sh script, Tivo is activated and happy, however no change in Linksys USB200M v2.1 catatonia. Removing it induces the Tivo to dump an "unlinking" message to the terminal, so the Tivo can see the usb device, but just can't use it.

I'm assuming this latest zipper installs the latest backport drivers. If anyone else has encountered Linksys USB200M v2.1 problems or success would welcome any suggestions.
I believe I have the same issue as you. I'm using the USB200M on a 10-250. I haven't tried the serial cable method yet. All three green lights are illuminated on the USB200M though (constant).

Via Norton Antivirus I can view the network and I can see the box, so it is there. But Norton reports it as being "offline". It has an IP address that is different from what I set as a static IP during the Zipper load.

No success on attempting to telnet in on either IP address (what I set during the zipper load nor what Norton says the IP address is).

Hopefully this adds some more data points for you. I'll let you know if I have any success in tinkering around. (Going out of town for awhile though, so won't have time for a few weeks.)

·
Love good tuba
63 Posts
The Context
I now have more DVRs than TVs. One of those DVRs is an RCA DVR40 with the original drive. I have 2 other SD DVRs (see my signature) that I successfully Zipper'd some time ago. I decided to deactivate (from a DirecTV point of view) the DVR40 and put it into media server mode, just until I have watched and deleted all the currently saved content. (thus saving the monthly mirroring fee)

The Story
After I had determined that such a media server mode was possible (by searching this and other forums) and being somewhat laz...er...time constrained, I decided to download the PTVnet CD to upgrade the DVR40. Mistake #1 - I did not read close enough to realize that the PTVnet CD doesn't include MRV - the entire reason for the upgrade. After successfully (apparently - ended with no errors) upgrading the DVR40 (note: original drive), I tried to telnet to it - no luck. This caused me to dig further and realize "No MRV". (Note: I did not check the ethernet adapter for power-on light at this point.) So back to this forum I came and built a new Zipper install CD (my previous version was comprised of the Zipper tools CD and the LBA48 boot CD). I applied this over the PTVnet installation and all went apparently well - installation succeeded with no errors. I assigned a wired IP address of 192.168.1.140. My DNS server is setup to only give out addresses through 192.168.1.109. I installed the drive back into the DVR40, connected all cables (including ethernet adapter - Netgear FAP120) and powered on. It went through the expected reboot during boot-up. When all was done, the light on the ethernet adapter (known to work correctly as it was 10 minutes earlier connected to a Zippered, MRV-working DVR) was not on. Having already read the help on the Zipper wiki, I powered off, switched to the other USB port, and powered back on. Still no power to the USB port. I next tried re-Zippering, power-off/power-on, trying both USB ports, with the adapter plugged in before powering on - still no power to the USB ports.

The Question
So....what else can I try? I did select to "Install backported USB drivers" when I ran the Zipper - both times. Maybe I should try selecting no to that? The problem is not in the ethernet adapter or the line to the router - I can swap back to the other Zippered box that normally goes in that location and MRV works fine. It is clear (to me at least) that the USB ports are not getting any power. I've searched this forum and found some hits from foxmid and steelerfan a couple of years back, but I never saw a resolution of that. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Just a boring dude
32,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,451 ·
well upgrading with slices and copying over the killhdinitrd kernel resulted in a reboot loop because the mfs database never got created, the unit went from now powering up to just a few minutes more, then back again. I never see the upgrading software screen, which is where the mfs database gets created and yada yada.
I'm SKEERED :p

·
Sponsor
2,494 Posts
Not sure. You could be the guinea pig and report back. :)
I just ran it on a 6.4a system configured with an up and coming release of PTVnet.

It appeared to work fine except for one thing...

I chose 's' to configure it with a static IP address and the unit had been previously configured to DHCP with PTVnet.

The scripts did not remove or rename any of the DVRupgrade init flags (/init/ptv_flags) so the DHCP settings overrode the static ip configuration (I checked and the values in MFS have been updated correctly).

I simply went in and renamed the DHCP_ON flag to DHCP_OFF (and left everything else intact), rebooted and things worked fine.

Might be worth looking at how you are dealing with the ptv_flags, however...

Lou

·
Love good tuba
63 Posts
I'd wonder if this might be my problem (previously configured with PTVnet and DHCP) except....would that show up as the USB ports not being powered up?

·
Sponsor
2,494 Posts
I'd wonder if this might be my problem (previously configured with PTVnet and DHCP) except....would that show up as the USB ports not being powered up?
I don't think so, that sounds very different. In my situation, the system still came up with DHCP, until I renamed the DHCP flag to DHCP_OFF and rebooted, and then it came up with the static IP settings. At no point did I lose network connectivity, however...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Has anyone ever encountered an error message about the SMART feature not being enabled on their drive?

I zippered an almost new Seagate (7200.10) 320 GB drive, and the first time I booted the SD-DVR40 with this drive I had an error message about SMART capabilities not being enabled, and a warning about drive failure.

I know the drive is good, because I ran Spinrite (level 4) on before applying the zipper.

When I rebooted the receiver, I could no longer find the error message.

Any suggestions?

·
User
3,629 Posts
Has anyone ever encountered an error message about the SMART feature not being enabled on their drive?

I zippered an almost new Seagate (7200.10) 320 GB drive, and the first time I booted the SD-DVR40 with this drive I had an error message about SMART capabilities not being enabled, and a warning about drive failure.

I know the drive is good, because I ran Spinrite (level 4) on before applying the zipper.

Any suggestions?
I created a tool called drivemonitor.sh, which runs SMART tests on your drive, and looks through your logs for errors indicative of a drive failure. This tool runs as part of the enhancement script, but you can run it on your own to see what errors come up. It's located in /enhancements/drivemonitor.sh The enhancement script also sets up a cron job to run drivemonitor.sh regularly, and it will post errors to a log as well as to the Tivo UI as a message.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Any suggestions?
Gunny...I think the question is a bit different.

I was getting the same error. I think (cannot completely recall) running smartctl with a switch to turn on SMART.

I found it in the enhancements directory.

I think the syntax is:

smartctl --smart=on --offlineauto=on --saveauto=on /dev/hda

or type smartctl -h for the help page.

dw17

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here is some more info regarding the SMART error I got.

This was the message I found in the log folder. I'm pretty sure this drive (Seagate 7200.10 320 GB IDE) supports SMART, but I'm not sure how to enable in a linux system.

Code:
Thu Sep 18 23:49:33 UTC 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed S.M.A.R.T. test on primary drive hda. Details Below
smartctl version 5.32 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
Here are the initial results from executing drivemonitor.sh

Code:
jim-tivo-TiVo# drivemonitor.sh
Found the following line in your kernel log that may indicate a failing drive:
 435:Sep 18 23:49:33 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 437:Sep 18 23:49:34 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 439:Sep 18 23:49:35 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 441:Sep 18 23:49:36 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 443:Sep 18 23:49:37 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 445:Sep 18 23:49:37 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 447:Sep 18 23:49:38 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
 436:Sep 18 23:49:33 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError } 438:Sep 18 23:49:34 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError } 440:Sep 18 23:49:35 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError } 442:Sep 18 23:49:36 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError } 444:Sep 18 23:49:37 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError } 446:Sep 18 23:49:37 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError } 448:Sep 18 23:49:38 (none) kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
Your primary drive hda S.M.A.R.T. satus is: FAILED
No secondary drive was detected.
Your primary drive (hda) temperature is  degrees Celsius.
.//drivemonitor.sh: [: : integer expression expected
Number of reallocated sectors on your primary drive (hda) is ,
.//drivemonitor.sh: [: -: integer expression expected
 which is not yet in excess of the threshold set by your drive manufacturer.
 If the number of reallocated sectors continues to increase, your drive may fail.
Results of extended self test for primary drive (hda) are not yet available.
 Run drivemonitor.sh again after two hours for results.
 Commencing extended offline self test for hda now.
Found a crontab named "root" in /var/spool/cron/crontabs
Would you like to append it to run drivemonitor.sh every night? [y/n]: jim-tivo-TiVo# drivemonitor.sh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, first-time modder here and I'm having an issue getting the USB ports enabled on my HR 10-150 for my Linksys USB200M. I've tried zippering several times, but the lights on my adapter do not come on at all. When asked about installing backported drivers, I answer yes and get these error messages:

USB.MAP Location could not be determined.
Skipping USB.MAP Mods for backported drivers

A similar issue was reported on page 268 of this thread and the fix was to report my service number as "357" which I've been doing, but I'm still getting this message. Any help?

Hardware: DirecTv HR 10-250, Linksys USB200M, a WD 500GB IDE HD
Software: latest version of Instantcake (3.1.5f), latest version of Zipper (4.5?), Supermatch and set_mrv_name skipped as it's not required for the 10-250

Edit: Forget the above. I've decided to try with 6.3f. I'm entirely new to this and was confused about the version numbers...I didn't realize 3.1.5 was the TiVo version number (thought it was the version number for the Instantcake application itself), especially when it jumps upto 6.3. I've downloaded Instantcake 6.3f and will try again and post results.

11441 - 11460 of 11850 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.