TiVo Community Forum banner
11421 - 11440 of 11850 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm guessing here, but it LOOKS like the boot disc can't find a HD controller on your machine. Is it pretty new, with Serial ATA Hard Drives?
If so, disable them in your bios, this may make booting from CD tough. :(
You can also see if your bios has a initilize first setting, if it does, select IDE.
I found out from another thread on this site that the drivers were for the ethernet card (integrated). So I diasbled those in BIOS. But I can't get it to run the zipper script.

I can boot from the CD but my problem is that the PTVupgrade application is set to acces the nsts applicatoin that came with LBA48. So what happens is:

after booting from the cd, getting the PTVupgrade LBA48 Support Utility Disc Version 4.04DD screen, and hitting enter again, I'm brought to PTVupgrade /#
I can mount the CDROM by entering CDROM but the application then looks for the nsts utility. Since I followed the Zipper instructons thsi utility is not there and so it returns the message:
/cdrom/nsts/*.nsts no such file or directory
Is there a way to mount the disc from here without it attempting to look for this utility? Then I can run the zipper.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
question, I have an original samsung sir4040 directivo collecting dust from my old dtv days. I now have fios with Tivo HD. Was wondering if I could hack the old directivo just to move programs to for mrv? I see there are some patches and stuff you could do. I dont mind cracking open the directivo since its old and collecting dust, but I would be hesitant to do anything on my tivo HD since, one it was expensive, and 2 I dont want to break it. (wife would kill me)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found out from another thread on this site that the drivers were for the ethernet card (integrated). So I diasbled those in BIOS. But I can't get it to run the zipper script.

I can boot from the CD but my problem is that the PTVupgrade application is set to acces the nsts applicatoin that came with LBA48. So what happens is:

after booting from the cd, getting the PTVupgrade LBA48 Support Utility Disc Version 4.04DD screen, and hitting enter again, I'm brought to PTVupgrade /#
I can mount the CDROM by entering CDROM but the application then looks for the nsts utility. Since I followed the Zipper instructons thsi utility is not there and so it returns the message:
/cdrom/nsts/*.nsts no such file or directory
Is there a way to mount the disc from here without it attempting to look for this utility? Then I can run the zipper.

Thanks
From step 3 in the zipper instructions:

C. Mount the CD by typing: mount /dev/hdX /cdrom (where X is the location of your CD drive, most likely c or d).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi folks,

My two DTiVos have been Zippered for quite a while now with no problems. I recently switched from Windows to Mac and now I am having difficulty telnetting to the units; in Mac OS Terminal I am getting locally echoed characters and control codes, and can't find how to turn that off. Example:

Code:
GJETOST:~ smartwatermelon$ telnet 192.168.15.74
Trying 192.168.15.74...
Connected to 192.168.15.74.
Escape character is '^]'.
GuestRoom-TiVo# [B]ppwwdd^M[/B]
/var/tmp
GuestRoom-TiVo#
Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
In OSX terminal, you should start the session with telnet -K xx.xx.xx.xx
That worked, thanks! Interestingly, the manpage for telnet says -K "Specifies no automatic login to the remote system." I wouldn't have guessed this would affect local echo!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, anyways, my HR10 is messed up and won't reboot properly right now, so I'm trying to get in via serial cable. I've connected to it and the console shows:

Output enabled
Service number is 3570000xxxxxxxxx
What is password?

Did zipper set a default password that I don't remember?
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey rbautch, long time fan of your work with the script. I recently had a problem where one of my Hughes SD-DVR40 kept pausing funny (fractions of a second while watching a show, driving me nuts). It inspired me to pull a spare DVR40 out of the closet I had in case a disaster happened.

Now I have:

2 SD-DVR40's with much bigger drive's in them that I Zippered this past weekend using the 6.2 instantcake. Work awesome with the ASOHOUSB, and the re-zippering of the hosed Tivo seems to have resolved the pausing issues making me wonder if the drive was badly fragmented.

I've tried to search this thread for a 6.4a answer but the conclusion is unclear to me. So now I'm thinking of Zippering the Tivo in the living room which is an RCA DVR40. It was never Zippered, just put a bigger drive in it years ago. Its running 6.4a.

I don't think that the Instantcake image I bought for the Hughs would work on the RCA. I'm tempted to use the same boot disk and say no to using the image and Zipper the 6.4a drive as-is so I can keep the existing season passes and all of my daughter's Diego/Dora stuff. bad plan?

Is the superpatch-6.2a.tcl incompatible?

Is this an acceptable thing to do? If I toast this drive downstairs can I use the same instantcake image on that chasis and just make it identical to the other two I've successfully converted this week?

Thanks! (And you might want to add this to the Wiki)

edit: Yikes. I don't want to lose MRV. I think I'm sticking with 6.2a. Anyone know if the Hughes image will work on the RCA? I guess I could move a drive over there to find out :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Hughes SD-DVR40 (service number 351). I am running Zipper 4.6 under Ubuntu 8.04 (need the latest kernel to recognize my motherboard).

Zipper doesn't seem to recognize my service number:

Code:
Please enter the first 3 digits of your service number: 351
cut: fields and positions are numbered from 1
Try `cut --help' for more information.
Unknown service number. Exiting
but it recognizes other service numbers

Code:
Please enter the first 3 digits of your service number: 357
cut: fields and positions are numbered from 1
Try `cut --help' for more information.
Are you using 6.3x software? [y/n]:
Welcome any suggestions, thanks.

·
User
3,629 Posts
Looks like the cut command is failing for you. This is how the Zipper parses the service number:
Code:
echo -n "Please enter the first 3 digits of your service number: "
read service
if [ ! $(echo $service | grep '^[0-9]\{3\}$') ]; then
	echo "Invalid service number. Exiting..."
	exit 1
fi
digit1=`echo $service | cut -c0-1`
digit2=`echo $service | cut -c2-2`
digit3=`echo $service | cut -c3-3`
Later on it does the following check for 351 tivos:
Code:
elif [ "$digit1" == 3 -a "$digit3" == 1 ]; then
	export type=dtivo
	export usbmapheader1='/device ax8817x/a\'
	export usbmapheader2='/device ax8817x/a\'
	export usbmapheader3='/device pegasus/a\'
	kernel_loc=3.1.5
	export driver=2.4.20_Series2
If it fails this test, then it gives the error that you got. Not sure why cut is failing, but may be due to the version of cut that you have on your Linux distro. If you're able to write a little shell script to test the output of cut on your machine, then maybe we can work this out. Otherwise, boot from the lba48 CD where we know that version of cut will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah, that's exactly it, thank you for the insight. The GNU version of cut under ubuntu requires a syntax of "cut -c1-1" to extract the first character from the service number string.

This would be a trivial change to zipper to get it to work for me, but while I see the editable sapper.sh script, I don't see an editable zipper script, only a zipper binary. Is zipper source not available for modification?

Unfortunately I can't use the lba48 boot because that kernel won't recognize my Gigabyte motherboard's ide devices - I must boot using a more recent kernel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
but the search option is your friend:

It looks like you're hitting enter too early.
Sorry, I should have stated initially that my comcast HSI has been down for a couple days, and I'm limping along using my verizon cellphone tethered, which moves along like a herd of turtles, at avg of 11kbs, if I'm lucky. Any extra page loads take a long time, but I have some threads bookmarked, so I can get to those much faster.

I appreciate your help, and agree that I am hitting it too early, and thus landing myself in the PROM menu which doesn't help me at all.

Clarified on edit:
A question for the zipper gurus (rbautch and others):
I zippered my drive in the past, and had saved recordings then, used it for several months and have more recordings on it, and then this week tried some tricks with it, ftp'ing some files to run at boot, and now my tivo won't get past the initial gray "Welcome. Powering up..." screen. I think the cause is a botched rc.initsys file which I ftp'd without ensuring the transfer was in a binary mode. It was AUTO, so I don't know what is sitting there trying to run while booting, thus my guess as the reason for the no boot condition.

QUESTION: Can I pull the drive and safely re-run the zipper, again choosing to keep my recordings? Or should I just try to mount the drive and copy a good rc.sysinit file to it and try that first?

Thanks.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
I'd try copying a good rc.sysinit first.

It could be you edited the file in a Windows editor, which adds a CR, which Linux balks at.
Being it is plaintext, it should transfer anyhow. Make sure the permissions are set to executable.

11421 - 11440 of 11850 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.