TiVo Community Forum banner
11401 - 11420 of 11850 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys just have a few questions Before i zip my tivo i have a series 2 dtivo Samsong 4040r now i was wondering if there was a way to do this for free with out paying for intent cake or a boot cd. and whats the risk i plan to use a new hdd i no i will void all warranty but like is dtv going to know or am i ok as long as i stay unplugged from the phone? thanks for all your help like just tell me the risks because its my dads and he wants me to find out so give me the detals so i can show him. also i am shure i no the linux side and i can make this but and all thanks

· Cellphone Junkie
273 Posts
Hey guys just have a few questions Before i zip my tivo i have a series 2 dtivo Samsong 4040r now i was wondering if there was a way to do this for free with out paying for intent cake or a boot cd. and whats the risk i plan to use a new hdd i no i will void all warranty but like is dtv going to know or am i ok as long as i stay unplugged from the phone? thanks for all your help like just tell me the risks because its my dads and he wants me to find out so give me the detals so i can show him. also i am shure i no the linux side and i can make this but and all thanks
just buy the boot cd... it is only 5.00 and it has what u will need

you will need to dd the old drive to the new (i cant remember where i found the info..it may have been on "the other" site....basically it will create an exact copy of the original drive...), and expand the image if the new drive is bigger

then run the zipper and the normal process..voila one hacked dtivo...

JUST BUY THE CD!!! trust me it is worth the 5.00 it costs...you wont need the instacake image unless your original drive gets fubar'd

when you buy a new hdd, get what you want...dont go cheap...dont buy a 160 now and then try to upgrade to a 500gb later...it doesnt really work that way...you will need to transfer all of the recordings and sp's off of the smaller drive, and then pull the original tivo hdd that you stashed in the closet to start from scratch and then transfer everything back...basically you can only expand an image ONE TIME...so you cant expand to a 160gb from a 40gb and then that same 160gb to a 500gb... the rest is spelled out 4u... i will look thru my info that i used when i first started hacking dtivos to find the site that had all the dd commands and also the comands to add a drive to an existing setup (make a 2 hdd dtivo..) i have it saved somewhere...

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Sounds like a problem with DNS; take a look at this thread as it may shed some light. I think there are a few other threads that address this but this should get you on the right track.
Yep it was DNS, sorta. After mucking around with lots of settings with no luck, I realized, when my daughter could not access the internet from her laptop, that my router was fubar'd. And that's why all of the DNS calls were failing. Its a funny thing though, my desktop, which is the computer that i use to horse around with the Tivos, was getting the internet just fine or I would have expected the router much earlier. Who knew? New router, all problems gone. Oh well, I'll never get that Sunday back.

· Registered
9 Posts
1. edit the installSw.itcl script to not reboot.
2. run the installSw.itcl script

3. copy the kernel from the current running partition to the partition which the new software has been installed.

4. copy hack files and directories over.

5. reboot.
Thanks. I know how to do 1. and 2., but 3. and 4. is where I need help. Do I a dd for 3 and 4, and what is the proper syntax?

Or... can someone point me to a thread that covers this already?

· Registered
27 Posts
Hey everyone:

I added a new HDVR2 to my system, about to Zipper it and get a network adapter.

I have the D-Link DUB-E100 on my first system.

Looking for a second adapter for the second one. I found a "D-Link DUB-E100 A1" which looks different than the one I have.

I only found one reference to the "A1" but I want to make sure this adapter will work with the Zipper and Enhancement Script.

Thanks in Advance.

Doug

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
HW version A1 will work fine, that is what I have, in the newer stylw, which is a rectangle box rounder on the sides.

I believe the older ones are styled like a D-link router.

· Registered
4 Posts
sorry if this has been covered already, but here goes, I followed the directions in great detail, created the zipper disk, loaded to a Samsung HA250JC for a Hughes DVR40. all went extremely well, can telnet to the Tivo unit fine, BUT, here's the problem. I can only get one tuner to come up enabled (always tuner #1). I removed the cables from the dish, examined them, connected 2 where 1 was and 1 where 2 was. Reset, reboot many times nothing. Talked to DirecTv support, nothing. Reinstalled the original WD400 40GB hdd, and I'm back to normal (tuners #1&2 enabled and working). The info screen was giving me tuner #2 not enabled. System test skipped right over tuner #2 because it was labeled "not enabled". Now I noticed I was able to go right to the DVR record function without making a call home. A while ago I cleared my WD400 for other reasons (too many "can't connect" messages) and was forced to bring the Tivo to my neighbors house to dial out (I have Packet 8 VOIP) in order to be able to set the DVR to record. Can that be the issue? With this Zipper disc using cake and the other $5 file, I didn't need to dial out to get to the record menu. I thought I was home free, I'm not sure where to look next for help!

· Banned
26 Posts
Can the appropriate folks fix the zipper download file...as of right now, the Zipper download location:

http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper/zipper.zip

gives you a corrupted file (date of file on server preserved via wget download):

1044480 bytes (exactly 1020K) 2008-08-18 00:06 GMT zipper.zip

From Linux, by running 'zip -F zipper.zip' you can see the file is a truncated version of the full zipper.zip file, as it lists several zipper files/directories before stopping.

Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
I see that this thread has been going for a while so I hope that it's still being monitored.

I downloaded the zipper and folowed the instruction, including buying the 6.2a instantcake software (Samsung 4040R) and the LBA48 boot iso. I can boot from the cd but when I hit enter at the prompt to boot: it runs through a series of checks and stops at a message that says:
mc-ultra.c: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones . . .

The systems gets stuck at that point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

· Just a boring dude
36,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,417 ·
I see that this thread has been going for a while so I hope that it's still being monitored.

I downloaded the zipper and folowed the instruction, including buying the 6.2a instantcake software (Samsung 4040R) and the LBA48 boot iso. I can boot from the cd but when I hit enter at the prompt to boot: it runs through a series of checks and stops at a message that says:
mc-ultra.c: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones . . .

The systems gets stuck at that point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I'm guessing here, but it LOOKS like the boot disc can't find a HD controller on your machine. Is it pretty new, with Serial ATA Hard Drives?
If so, disable them in your bios, this may make booting from CD tough. :(
You can also see if your bios has a initilize first setting, if it does, select IDE.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have a relatively new machine with only ONE IDE channel. Can I hook up my CDROM and and the to-be-zippered hard drive on the same IDE channel? I have read else where that I need to have two IDE channels in order for it to work.

I also have an external USB CDROM, can I boot the zipper CD off of the USB CDROM and hook up the TIVO Hard drive to the IDE and get it zippered that way?

Thank you for your help in advance!

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
You can zipper from the same IDE channel.

If your computer supports boot from USB CDROM, you can use that also.

You can also put the TiVo's HDD on a USB IDE adapter, if you have one of those.

For all of those, you need to keep your hda/b and sda/b straight.

11401 - 11420 of 11850 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.