TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
I think you can get, or at least make, CID filters which will pass CID data only.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
jbodden6977 said:
PLEASE is there a way to hack the Tivo to make it act like a normal vcr?
I am so sick of paying Tivo for their 'subscription' which is very much like being forced to rent the part of a normal vcr they decided to leave out.
My directv box could easily control the Tivo - at least for record and stop commands IF the Dtv box included the Tivo code commands OR the Tivo could respond to garden variety stop and record commands.
Not than can be discussed here, as that is theft of service.
You bought the TiVo going in knowing you had to pay to play.
If you don't want to pay for TiVo service, you have every right to get rid of the TiVo and choose a DVR that has service options more suitable to your desres.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
You can try another ethernet adapter. If you have bash, it can say if it makes a connection.

You can also set up an always on serial ppp connection, and it will do everything and ethernet connection can, except transfer content.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
1. edit the installSw.itcl script to not reboot.
2. run the installSw.itcl script

3. copy the kernel from the current running partition to the partition which the new software has been installed.

4. copy hack files and directories over.

5. reboot.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
HW version A1 will work fine, that is what I have, in the newer stylw, which is a rectangle box rounder on the sides.

I believe the older ones are styled like a D-link router.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
You can zipper from the same IDE channel.

If your computer supports boot from USB CDROM, you can use that also.

You can also put the TiVo's HDD on a USB IDE adapter, if you have one of those.

For all of those, you need to keep your hda/b and sda/b straight.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
I'd try copying a good rc.sysinit first.

It could be you edited the file in a Windows editor, which adds a CR, which Linux balks at.
Being it is plaintext, it should transfer anyhow. Make sure the permissions are set to executable.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
You don't get serial from the USB ports. You need to connect the Serial Control port (the lower 1/8" jack on the rear of the TiVo) to a serial port on your computer (you can use a USB Serial adapter if you have to, on the computer).

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
I have been searching but unable to find an answer and I am sure this is not the correct forum but I am at a loss. So here it goes.

If I have a TivoHD and a series 2 both with wireless adapters, can I watch HD programs recorded on the TivoHD on my Series2? I have an HD tv in both my bedroom and my living room, but I only have one HD Tivo. I want to know if I record HD programming on the Tivo HD, can I then watch it on the series 2 in the bedroom?

Please help or at least direct me in the right direction. Sorry if I have gotten off topic in this particular thread.
Yes, but not directly. You will need a PC in between to convert the HD to SD the Serties 2 can play. See the MHO/HME/TTG forum for details on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.