TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 1303 Posts

·
User
3,629 Posts
Kevin L said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Actually, not :mad: at you guys, but at DirecTV. I now have three HR10-250s and am phasing out my HDVR2s and DVR39.

When, oh WHEN, DirecTV, ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE US 6.2 FOR THE HR10-250? (caps intentional).

I don't care about copying the recordings. I just want the other cool tools, especially HMO.

Great work Gunny and rbautch! :up: :up: :up:
You wouldn't be the first. Try this. DirecTV will eventually phase out the HD DTivos in favor of an mpeg-4 version. I even heard you'll get a free swap out when that happens, but the new one won't be a Tivo!

·
User
3,629 Posts
eddyj said:
So what do I do to be able to keep my phone line cocnnected (for CallerID)? The guiude says to keep it off.
You shouldn't have to do anything special to be able to leave your phone line connected, since the script should take care the things required to keep you Tivo from calling the mothership. However, before you leave your phone line connected indefinitely, check the information in the Settings/Phone menu to see when the "next scheduled" call is supposed to be made. The script should update this date every Sunday and Wednesday night to make it at least 6 days out in the future, fooling the Tivo into thinking that it's never time to make the call. I put the line in the instructions about not connecting because there's a chance newbies can screw up the settings that keep the calls from being made. So, as the script runs, make sure you:

1. Say "yes" to the cron installation.
2. Say "no" to only rebooting if shows aren't recording.

Finally, continue to monitor your "next sceduled call" to make sure it's getting reset properly. Only after you have confirmed this works properly should you connect your phone line.

·
User
3,629 Posts
Haven't had time to post the new one on the Enhancement Script site, but you can just download the tools disk, and then copy it from there. New goodies include some network settings and performance tools, along with the twice/week reboot.

·
User
3,629 Posts
There is a list of compatible wireless adapters on the Tivo website. Only the 802.11b adapters will work with 6.2, or you can use a wired adapter with a wireless bridge as described in many posts on TCF. On the left side of the Zipper website, there's a link to instructions on setting up wireless on 6.2 with a wireless usb adapter. The catch is that you need a serial cable or wired adapter initially to run the script that sets up wireless. A future version of the Zipper may change that. The 802.11b adapters work fine for me as far as speed. I can initiate a trasfer from one Tivo to another, and begin watching it immediately. By the time the first commercials roll around, I've built up enough buffer to skip through them. I use an MA111 and WUSB11.

·
User
3,629 Posts
Hard drive is fine, no prep necessary. USB 2.0 drivers increase the speed of MRV transfers and video extraction (which can't be discussed further here). They are only useful on wired connections, since the 802.11b wireless speeds limit the speed on wireless connections.

·
User
3,629 Posts
Arthur,

Duplicate processes are normal, frequent reboots are not. There's nothing in the script that would cause this. Even if your drive was working fine before, a switch to a newly active partition when the Zipper ran could be exposing a problem with the drive. I suggest giving it a few days to see if the reboots stop. If you have a spare drive, try running the Zipper on it to confirm that the problem is indeed the drive. You could also try to run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Latly, check your logs in Tivowebplus (kernel log, tvlog) to see if there's anything that might indicate a HD or other problem.

·
User
3,629 Posts
If you already hacked it with slices, then just use the enhancement script in my signature. If you meant hacking from 4.01b to 6.2 with a new script, then no, there are no plans to do that (I doubt it's even possible). It's just a easy to start over and re-image the drive with the Zipper. If you want to save your recordings, extract or MRV them to another Tivo (which can be had for $35). If you want to preserve your season passes, make a backup using TWP, and then restore them after you install 6.2.

·
User
3,629 Posts
luken8628 said:
ok i just used the zipper to hack my directivo, it was very easy to use, however i have a few questions. When i reinstalled the new hdd after using the zipper. tivo prompted me with an error 51. What can i do to solve this. and next when i bought the instantcake cd i bought the one meant for my hughes directivo like the zipper guide said, but after applying the zipper to the hdd i dont see any network settings to be able connect the tivo to my network for ftp, telenet etc. was i supposed to buy an image for a standalone s2 tivo in order to apply this hack on a directivo?
When you ran tweak.sh, it should have said: "No network parameters found in MFS. Do you want to enter them now? "
This is the place to enter the IP address of your Tivo and router. Or, you can use TWP after the fact.

·
User
3,629 Posts
Gunnyman said:
6.2 software does not have the configuration screens that allow you to enter (wireless) SSID and encryption keys. You CAN use wireless B on 6.2 but you have to configure it in Tivoweb using a wired adapter 1st.
You cannot set wireless params from scratch using TWP/wired adapter. What DOES work is the wireless script in my signature. After you set up wireless params with the script, you can modify them in TWP.

·
User
3,629 Posts
JediKnight2 said:
DANG...right after I bought the PTVNet CD, PTV Boot...I even ended up buying the InstantCake CD JUST TO MAKE SURE I always had a virgin 6.2 install...One ? about InstantCake if anyone knows...is there any difference between the DSR7000 and DSR704 version of InstantCake...those are the two Phillips DVR's I have..

I am going to hack my 7000 after I get the 704 up and running and will try the Zipper method on this one just to see the difference...

THANKS for the hard work..!!
There are differences between the different flavors of Instantcake and 6.2 software images. They are pretty subtle, and you shouldn't have any trouble using them interchangeably.

·
User
3,629 Posts
Did you connect your Tivo to your router? Check the router to see the IP address that was assigned to your Tivo? I added more information on network setup to the Zipper instructions just now. Have a look at the last few steps.

1 - 18 of 1303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.