TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1424 Posts

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hacking your 6.2 DirecTivo just got very easy! Rbautch and I have partnered to create a tool that completely automates the "Unguide" and installs his Tivo Enhancements, allowing you to completely hack your Tivo in no time at all. We thought it was the next logical step in Tivo Hacking, and so we proudly present "The Zipper". The Zipper is as easy as Tivo hacking gets! Please note, I will no longer be monitoring the 6.2 to hacked 6.2 thread so if you have questions ask them in THIS one. Support for Rbautch's enhancement script will continue in his original thread.
Many thanks to principal tester Dirac, and beta testers Jasch, Tsunami, and David Platt. Special thanks to Lou Jacob for his guidance throughout the development of The Zipper.
Please note, Rbautch and I will be monitoring this thread very regularly, so PLEASE don't discuss it at "the other place" or fill up our PM Boxes with questions.
DO NOT POST ON DDB ABOUT THE ZIPPER....

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes
the CD has gone through a couple of changes since the image was captured for the instruction page.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the script unzips it, so if you can, re gzip it and call it what the instructions say to.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I THINK so
I'm on a mac and it's been a while since I used winrar.
Also make SURE your killhdinit'ed kernel will WORK with 6.2

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
no problem.
I guess we're going to have to adjust the script for this in the future.
What are you using for a boot disk anyway?

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
you might have problems accessing the mfs partitions with the knoppix cd.
We reccomend the 5 dollar boot cd for a good reason, it understands the Tivo file system :p

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
okas long as you use the kernel you have, and it's gzipped, AND it is compatible with 6.2 you will be ok.
The kernels on that free disk are NOT for series 2 DTivos.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
no problem.
Believe me we looked at many scenarios for getting this done, and the 5 dollar downloadable iso is by far the most idiot proofed way to get a good boot disk AND a hacked kernel, lets not re-invent the wheel we just re-invented :p

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If you are going to use the PTVnet cd, I reccomend just using rbautch's enhancement script.
The Zipper does everything ptvnet does the enhancement script however is a bit fuller featured.
You get some very nice tivoweb modules, cron, season pass backup, and more.
Just realize PTVnet puts some stuff in places that the script may not know how to find.
I suggest asking about ptvnet in rbautch's script thread.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The PTV net product is awesome though, I don't want anyone to think I was knocking it.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
mike:
We can't talk about extraction here, but TTG is a standalone only feature.
If you already have 6.2 another guided setup will NOT be necessary.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
mike,
yes with some caveats.
A standalone Series 2 can only MRV to a Directivo if IT has been superpatched as well.
Many of the Series 2 standalones being sold retail need some eeprom modifications done to enable the hack.
also check your PM's

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
well
here's what I can tell you,
the Kernel from the boot cd in the instructions works. Which is why it was suggested in the 1st place.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
bnm81002 said:
I edited this question in my original post a few mins. later
well once you've zippered, you're hacked, When the enhancement script side gets updated, you can always ftp the new one over and run it.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
that's my point there's no reason to do that.
The networked DTivo need never to be hacked in your PC again.
You use FTP to keep things updated.

·
Just a boring dude
32,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
1.) right, the 1st part of the zipper doesn't touch MFS unless you don't have 6.2 yet so just the master drive is needed. If you are starting from scratch with 2 BLANK HD's use instantcake on them 1st. It has provisions in software for marrying the drives. just skip the image your drive portions of the zipper instructions.
2.) No need for the phone line unless you want caller ID
3.) Updates come over the Sats. There is NO reason for the unit to "phone hom" in fact the hack prevents it.
4.) Not as well versed on Standalone models as I'd like to be, but I think if you avoid teh tivo branded Nighlight units you will be ok. You won't be zippering it. Zipper is for S2Dtivo only, you will be hacking it manually. Just realize you will have to have a subscription on it. you might be better off buying another DTivo (as long as it's not an R10) on Ebay. I don't THINK it has to be subbed to work as an MRV station.

1 - 20 of 1424 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.