TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
OMG :eek: How will I ever be able to sleep peaceably again. :( Looking at Gunny's avatar and hearing him say over and over again, "You must try my Zipper, go ahead you won't be disappointed" :eek:
If I have any problems with it can I ask questions at DDB? :p :D

Seriously, outstanding. :up:

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
Redux said:
Yes.

Some drives have a setting for master with and without slave, also a cable select. Every new Tivo drive I have ever seen comes set for cable select.

My preference is not to use the cable select, just straight master ("single without slave" if that's an option), based on purely anecdotal experience, but with hundreds of drives.

BTW you'e been nominated for the JJBliss "NOT blessed by any means" Guide award. Quite an honor, congrats!
Yeah, but Gunny and Russ won't be at "Legend Level" until the Guide gets "deprecated" :D

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
Gunnyman said:
Frankly it's a dang set top box and once it's set up you shouldn't have to screw with it. At least that's how I feel about it.
If that's the way you feel about it then how did you come up with the "unguide" if you didn't "screw with it"? :p :D

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
sandpj said:
It appears that Superpatch v1.1 is capable of enabling MRV on the R10 without eprom mods based on NutKase's notes. Am I understanding correctly?

If so, do you plan to change the R10 restriction noted on the Zipper page?

Thx much...Paul
Please furnish some quotes on this. I just spent over an hour "over there" looking for "NutKase's notes" couldn't locate anything that vaguely resembled what you are saying. As recent as Sunday PlainBill was still saying that an eprom mod was necessary. And from what I could ascertain v1.1 has something to do with standalones, not R10s.

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
summerall said:
I would like to use caller ID on my Tivo but before I connect a phone line, where can I look to see the next scheduled call home and last successful call home?

I don't think cron is working on my Tivo. Is it still OK to connect a phone line since the Zipper blocks outgoing calls home?
If cron is working Fakecall will be run every night at 8:20 Pacific time (hey its my time I'll use it if I want ;) ). This is what will show up in system information.
But the important thing to look at is under setting - phone. This is what tivo apparently uses to determine when it will actually try to call home. The system information data gets updated every day when Fakecall does its thing. But the one in setting - phone only gets reset when the tivo reboots - cron is set up to do this twice a week. It is possible under rbautchs script to tell it to not do a reboot if it is recording something - this is like playing with a handgrenade ;); if your tivo was recording something then the tivo would not reboot - the phone settings would not be reset to make a call out six days plus in the future and the tivo might make a call home (goodbye hacks).
For instance if I look at mine right now, under system information it says the last successful connection was last night at 8:20 and the next scheduled one is next Tuesday at 7:39 (I'm going on recollection as I'm at work, but it is something a little less than a full week). And system information will update both of those by one day everynight at 8:20 when fakecall runs. But if I look under phone settings I see that the last successful call was on Sunday at 8:20 and the next scheduled call is on next Sunday at 7:39. Here is where the plot thickens - because if that is left alone the tivo will actually call home next Sunday at 7:39 - before what had been set up in cron as a weekly reboot on Monday morning at 1:20am (even though system information will change daily and look like the next call is almost a week out). I pointed this out to rbautch and he updated the script several weeks ago so that now it does two reboots a week - a second reboot is Thursday morning at 1:20, thus getting in ahead of the Sunday evening call home. So if I look at my data on say Saturday under system information it will say that the last successful call was Friday night and the next scheduled is next Friday night (cute to look at but don't mean squat). But under setting - phone it will say that the last successful was Wednesday at 8:20 and that the next scheduled is on next Wednesday at 7:39 (the reboot Thursday morning reset these items, and they will be reset next Monday morning well before the next scheduled call home on Wednesday night).
Only after watching this for a week or so (to make sure it is working) would I suggest pluggin in you phone line.

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
Gunnyman said:
Nope
The enhance script won't run while the drive is in the PC.
Poor Tenz, he needs to read "Catch 22". ;) In order to load the drivers to use his 200m ver.2 he needs to hook up using telnet, which of course needs the 200m ver.2 hooked up in order to access the box. :eek: :D

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
lee espinoza said:
...if you are going to do a guide on how to hack tivo and intend it for people with little or no knowledge on how to hack tivo you need to be more nice and not call people lazy and not look down on them just because they do not know what you know.
No good deed goes unpunished. :cool:

Note to self: Gunny's needs to be "more nice". And according to Lee he's apparently dumber than Gunny. :eek: Man, I really feel sorry for him if that's the case. :confused: :p

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
rbautch said:
You can't expand an already expanded drive. Use MRV to transfer your shows to one of the tivos, reimage the tivo without the shows with the Zipper, transfer the shows to the newly imaged tivo, then reimage the other one.
Just be prepared for this to take a looong time. I did this after I goofed up on one, and lost a couple of significant hacks, so I - transferred all of the shows on it to another one, and then later back to the original one after re-zippering it. The first set of transfers slowed way down - took the box about a day and a half to move everything over. I don't know why, but it did, and I didn't worry about it too much as I don't expect to have to do it very often

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
strevecon, I know about zip about networking. Pickup up most of what little I know from "hows this work". ;)
But that being said, is there a chance that address 204 is outside of the range your router will support??
Just remember I know about zip, just vaguely recalling some other comments I've read here.

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
RxMan said:
I finally got zipper done after many tries. Not sure what all of the problems were before. This morning I checked to see if fakecall had run. It showed a successful call at 10:20pm. This is with no phone line in. I thought it was supposed to to run at 3am.
You must be in Central Time Zone, mine runs at 8:20pm. So yours is fine.

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
I am having perplexing problems with vi. I wanted to change the time that fakecall happened. In my time zone its 8:20, and at that time it does not have high WAF. So I went in and changed it on the main box that I hacked with gunny's unguide. Now I am trying to change it on some other boxes that I zippered. Problem is vi is acting really wierd, when I try to make a change it inserts the new character and then advances a line. I know that it is not the CLF problem that happens in WinXP, I have that shut off. And if I hit the up or down arrow, it inserts another line. Just to make sure that it is not me or my computer I went back into the box that was "unguided" and I can make changes there just fine. I am changing to read/write before I attempt the changes. In the unguide I am going into /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root, in the zippered boxes I am going into /enhancements/varhacks/spool/cron/crontabs/root.

And I have been into the other boxes with vi before and it worked just fine. I went into them to change the ncid "thingies" in order to get them get their caller id data from the server tivo.

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
Markman07 said:
FTP root crontab file to yoru PC and then make changes using medapad or other unix based editor (not notepad) and FtP back to Tivo. Or you use the editor built into the HACKMAN module (if you use TWP).

I am not a big fan of VI or his uncle JOE editor. :)
Thanks, is there anything special I need to do dostounix or anything like that? Just want to make sure that all I have to do is FTP it back as is.

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
GBMD said:
Now that I've replaced the old hard drive with my new one, I am thinking about buying a HDVR2 off of E-Bay to play the leftover (previous) recordings on my un-Zippered disk. Will the unit boot up without a card? What about without satilite info???
Gunny, you told him "yes". You sure about that, he's putting an unzippered HD in another HDVR2 hoping to be able to watch what's on it - isn't he going to run into the "Killer51" (sp?) problem and since he hasn't zippered it not be able to killer51? 'Course he could alway "clear and delete", but then it'd be kinda hard to watch the leftover recordings. :D

On the other hand - if he zippered the "un-Zippered" HD first then everything would be hunky-dory. ;)

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
Scene - A bedroom somewhere in Beautiful downtown Greenville SC, about 2:am local time, a winsome wife coos, "Gunny that was fantastic, could we do it again?" To which her spouse - more than half asleep - groggily replies, "unset crlf" and rolls over. :( :D

·
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
2,686 Posts
MATT1981M said:
i was having this problem on 2 tivo's but WAS able to correct it on both...so here is what you do... dont use your router's adress for the DNS server... use you ISP's DNS server...easiest way to find this on XP is to open up the "Network Connections" and double click on the connection that is enabled and active....click the support tab and then details...then use the DNS server listed that is not ur router.... make sure to chmod 755 the file....reboot...if that doesnt correct the issue go into TWP and update it there under network setup....then reboot again....
Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)
I've been reading tons of suggestions indicating that I needed a "valid DNS", and "use your ISP's DNS". But I didn't know how to find out what it was. This helped me a ton, now all of my units "fly" when I check into "now playing".

Oh, did I say Thank you? :)

Maybe Gunny could incorporate this helpful hint into the wiki troubleshooting guide??

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.