TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
Well, my two HDVR2s were upgraded with no problems at all. Thanks to rbautch and Gunny.

Getting my network configured with the bridges was nowhere near that easy, but thanks to Gunny, all is up and running nicely now.

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
OK, so everything seems to be working fine with my two hacked DTiVos, but the MRV speed is horrible. Mych worse than real time. I let a program transfer for 5 minutes yesterday, and had about 30 seconds of program only. This is not an isolated occurrence, it has been this slow every time I try MRV.

Running the netperf "speed" command that the script installs gives me this:

Code:
bash-2.02# speed
TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.2.102
Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % S      us/KB   us/KB

131070 131070 131070    11.68         0.36   25.86    38.22    5836.713  8626.213
bash-2.02#
I don't really know what nunbers I should be seeing, hopefully someone else can tell me if those look right.

Any clues on why it is so slow? I an using the FA120 wired adapters, with the Belkin bridges, just like Gunny suggested.

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
Well, after rebooting one of the bridges, it looks much better. But I am still not sure it these are reasonable numbers:

Code:
bash-2.02# speed
TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.2.102

131070 131070 131070    10.14         2.96   40.35    45.54    1118.131  1262.031
bash-2.02#

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
As far as I know, I said yes to both. Not sure what is going on, my speed tests fluctuate wildly even when run back-to-back.

I an trying to change the channel, to see if that works...

Is there any way to test the speed between a TiVo and my PC? I wonder if one of the bridges is flakey.

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
For what it is worth, changing the channel did nothing. I still get wildly different results in consecutive speed tests, from less than 1 to more than 4. :(

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
No way to run the wires in my house, unfortunately. Right now, I think it is the location of the wireless router. The house uses metal studs, and maybe the walls are more of a problem than I assume. When I move bridges around, I can get much better speeds (not great, but much better). But moving the router is the hardest thing, I have to run a bunch of wires. But that is within the office, so it should be doable.

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
Holy crap! I guess location did not matter much. I moved the wireless router from the back of the office to near the doorway (to make sure that the walls were not blocking the signal) and the new results are not really any better (around 7.00 +/- 0.50). :(

So much for all that work. Can't believe the wife does not want wires all over the house. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
Gunnyman said:
little tip to those people (like me) who telnet/ftp and whatever to thier tivo
add the tivo IP address to your hosts file on your computer.
Since doing that, I can type Telnet livingroom ftp bedroom or bedroom/livingroom in firefox and not have to remember IP addresses. Of course if your IP addresses change you have to update the hosts file.
this with Rbautch's new script that lets you change the bash prompt to a descriptive one will keep me from being horribly confused :D
What does the new script do for the bash prompt? Just put a "set prompt" command (or whatever it is) in the .profile file?

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
bengalfreak said:
I have yet to figure out a house configuration that cannot have cat5e cable run. Is it just that you don't want to do all the work?
The house is cement (FL) with no basement or crawlspace. It is really hard to run wires in some areas. I have run wires for some stuff (especially upstairs where there is attic space and regular construction), but to get from the office to where the two TiVos are is next to impossible. Note that all the exterior (cement) walls do not have studs holding the drywall, but just some small wood strips, do there is very little air space in those walls.

Could it be done? Possibly. Without a divorce? Unlikely. :)

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
Human123 said:
Which are the numbers that represent the speed? Here is some examples of mine. This is a wired network with 2.0 drivers. Good?, Bad, Ugly?

Code:
TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.123.171

131070 131070 131070    10.06        15.67   88.07    46.99    460.304  245.566

TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.123.124

131070 131070 131070    10.03        11.97   56.02    75.76    383.370  518.443

TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.123.124

131070 131070 131070    10.04        13.78   43.44    81.37    258.249  483.710
Thanks
The throughput number is the one that I have been looking at. You are getting between 11.97 and 15.67, which is about twice what I am getting, with hte best geometry I can manage (i.e. location of hte wireless router and bridges).

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
bengalfreak said:
Am I safe in assuming the walls are made of concrete and not cement? Regardless of the answer, I see your point. Wires cannot be run easily. The hollow baseboards idea has merit, but wireless would be much easier.
Cement, concrete, cinder blocks, who cares? Hard stuff! :)

I did use the baseboards for the wires in the home theater, but for this, can't get there from here. :(

But I have reasonable speed now. Enough to make it usable. About 4X real time (i.e. 4 minutes of program for each minute of transfer), which is quite reasonable.

·
Señor Member
81,476 Posts
rbautch said:
It puts the following line in your .profile:
Code:
export PS1=\"\[\e[33;1m\]$bashname\[\e[36;1m\]-\[\e[31;1m\]T\[\e[32;1m\]i\[\e[33;1m\]V\[\e[34;1m\]o\[\e[0m\]# \[\e[0m\]\"
...after substituting the variable $bashname with the value you enter when the script runs. All of the numbers in brackets represent color codes (to make the word Tivo look pretty). If you want to play with customizing the bash even further, google "customize bash prompt linux". You can change all sorts of things: forground/background color, boldness, font, and much more.
Thanks. I forgot to post that I had found it after rumaging through your scripts for a while. :) But it is good info for others too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.