TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
2,883 Posts
I should just point out that the kickstart code you want is 58 - there is no code 53 :)

Give it a try. It takes about a minute to do it, and with any luck the GSOD should run for half an hour or so and then reboot and your problem will be cured :)

YMMV though - and there is a chance that the GSOD will fail to complete - in which case you will be as stuck as you are now but it will look worse as you won't be able to get to the TiVo menus.

However, if it was my TiVo and I didn't have network access this is what I would try next.

The procedure is documented here and in post #10 above.

·
Registered
102 Posts
blindlemon said:
I should just point out that the kickstart code you want is 58 - there is no code 53 :)
Doh! Gotta get my eyes checked, of course it's 58 :(

·
RodR
9 Posts
Thank you all so much and Merry Christmas

I arrived home from work yesterday (23rd December) to find partner had struggled with this problem and was nervous of a helpline suggestion to reset everything as that would lose all our saved programmes and no guarantee of solving the problem. The Tivo would not save, allow ToDo or programming.[Also Or*cl* had clobbered XP on my work machine three hours earlier so was facing possible rebuild in January. So a happy Christmas I was not anticipating!!]

After trying a daily call, stopping suggestions and watching some things we didn't want to miss and discussing new hard drive when we could get one!! (work PC replacement – maybe mid January - delivery issues). I searched the forum, found this. Felt we had a file system problem rather than unusable disk.

Tried a 52 – Emergency reinstall, did not achieve anything obvious but hoped it made hard drive option easier.

Then tried a 57 after numerous retries got the green screen! As instructed left it with telephone line and hoped it would not take 24 hours.

This morning no indicators, set TV to Tivo as source, no sign of green screen. Pressed Tivo and it came to life. Phew no worse off!! Functioning Tivo, no lost recordings and full functionality- we could save progs again, add recordings and had two more pages of Todo list. Happy family again!

Back to full viewing choices over Christmas!

·
from tivoland.com
473 Posts
ChrisH said:
also, I hate the fact the TiVo box is so big (if it was mass produced today it could be tiny - like the mac mini) -this is why I am reluctant to send it in the post for repairs.
The reason Tivo is virtually bullet proof, robust and reliable is because of the case design and the operating system.

If you could stick 2 x 400gb 7200 rpn drives into a sky+ box or any other pvr on the market today how long do you thing it would take before it overheats???

Sky+ expanders are already having to investigate better cooling with single drive solutions :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me with a similar problem !

I've got a bog-standard Thomson PVR10UK that recently started giving me the error message "ConflictMgr DoRecordShowing: ProproseExplicitSelection returned err errDbNotFound" when I tried to select programmes to be recorded.

Called Tivo Helpline - they said try doing a "clear and delete all". As I had some unviewed recordings, I did a "clear data and To Do List". The box rebooted and I got the "Clearing Program Data and To Do List. This will take an hour" screen.

After 3 hours the screen hadn't changed, so I cycled the power to the box. It rebooted and then went back to the "Clearing Program Data and To Do List. This will take an hour" screen. Left it overnight to find message still unchanged the following morning.

I then pulled the hard drive out of the Tivo (warranty has expired) and connected to my PC and ran some disk diagnostics - all passed OK.

I've read the previous postings and I've tried a kickstart/52 and 57 without success; it still displays "Clearing Program Data and To Do List. This will take an hour" when I cycle the power.

I'm willing and able to connect the drive to my PC and know a bit of Linux, etc.

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks.

·
RodR
9 Posts
Sorry I can not help! Fortunately partner felt sk*+ (aka Tivo) helpline was too much pain so I tried forum first.

I guess you need a new Hard Drive. There does not seem to be much life left. If this is the case you probably won't be able to get a good image off your old kn*cker one. This would put you in the hands of one or two members (A little better than Ebay usually) who can sell you a formatted disk or offer you a drive image.

Good luck! Shame about lost recordings but bonus of more space.

"After the panic can I now upgrade the Tivo now?"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear someone else is having a problem - I bought a TiVo off eBay for my husband for Christmas and it just doesn't work - we have narrowed it down to a motherboard problem (power and hard drive have both been tested) - don't suppose anyone knows if and where we could buy a new motherboard from??

Sam :(

·
VM Tivo User
6,102 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, motherboards are not available as "spares". Pacelink do offer a repair service for Tivo motherboards but as they are in Ireland it might not be a cost-effective proposition!

I assume the Tivo was sold as faulty? If not, of course you should get a refund :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
slartibartfast29 said:
Called Tivo Helpline - they said try doing a "clear and delete all". As I had some unviewed recordings, I did a "clear data and To Do List". The box rebooted and I got the "Clearing Program Data and To Do List. This will take an hour" screen.

After 3 hours the screen hadn't changed, so I cycled the power to the box. It rebooted and then went back to the "Clearing Program Data and To Do List. This will take an hour" screen. Left it overnight to find message still unchanged the following morning.

I then pulled the hard drive out of the Tivo (warranty has expired) and connected to my PC and ran some disk diagnostics - all passed OK.

I've read the previous postings and I've tried a kickstart/52 and 57 without success; it still displays "Clearing Program Data and To Do List. This will take an hour" when I cycle the power.
I had a similar problem over the last couple of days. "Clear data and To Do List" took hours and when finished I still got database errors when downloading the new EPG data. The kickstart procedure which I tried with option 58 wouldn't kick a GSOD at all and just gave me a screen about loading new software which again hung around for ages without apparently doing anything. When it did reboot I still had database errors following EPG data downloads.

In the end I ran mfsassert -please from a bash prompt (I was lucky to have that!). This gave me a GSOD for about an hour, following which the Tivo rebooted. I then did Guided Setup selecting another postcode and antenna only. I selected just one channel as "received" and allowed the data to index (it failed again, giving only 36 hours of data). Then I tried "Clear Program Data" again and this time it worked in under an hour. So I ran Guided Setup again, reverting to my original postcode and satellite feed. An hour later and I had a full download and all my recordings, and 8 hours after that it was all indexed with 3 weeks listings. So I'm happy. Hope you have as much success.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.