TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ConflictMgr DoRecordShowing:
ProposeExplicitSelection returned err errDbNotFound

TiVo customer services advised me to reset the recorder/repeat guided setup.

I’ve done this FOUR times.

(after guided setup I waited several days to allow the downloaded TV programme guide data to “organise itself”)

I’m gutted as I have a lifetime subscription, which is on the TiVo unit (not the person), so if your TiVo box packs up, you loose your lifetime subscription!

TiVo said that my problem should have been resolved by resetting my recorder . The only thing he can suggest is a TiVo service call.

Where on earth would I get this done?

Maybe I should buy EyeTV as I now have a Mac, but nothing beats the real TiVo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blindlemon said:
Instead of Guided Setup, have you tried "Clear and Delete Everything"?

This does what it says on the tin and can often cure database corruption problems.

Alternatively, you can trigger a GSOD using the remote by entering a special "kickstart" sequence during startup.

And if that doesn't work, I would (maybe no surprise if you look at my homepage;)) agree that a new drive should fix your problem.
Yes, I have tried "Clear and Delete Everything"

Guys, I appreciate your advice re: changing the hard drive, but I am not a techie. (though I know what linux is and have windows and mac experience)

Perhaps it is a hard drive fault - my TiVo unit has been used non-stop day-in, day-out for three years in a busy student house. (TiVo is loved by all!)

I have sweet talked TiVo and they may allow me to transfer my subscription to another TiVo unit!

This is great news.

But I am scared of buying a unit second hand off ebay that then breaks down!

Also, there are places out there selling TiVo s with HUGE hard drives. I don't need so much space as I watch and delete every few days.

I've been looking at TiVo alternatives, but nothing is as great as powerful and user-friendly TiVo. I love it.

also, I hate the fact the TiVo box is so big (if it was mass produced today it could be tiny - like the mac mini) -this is why I am reluctant to send it in the post for repairs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys but some of you are getting a bit technical for me.

I live in London. Very central - Zone 1 (EC1).

Could I maybe go down to Tottenham Court Road (famous in London for being full of gadget and electronic shops), buy a hard drive and try and install it (open my tivo up with a screw driver or something?)

I would prefer to pay someone else to do it in front of me.

Thanks for your replies. But there is no way I am mail ordering anything without any gaurantee that it will work. I just cannot afford to waste anymore money.

But... looks like you guys are all saying replace the hard drive and that should do the trick...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thechachman said:
ChrisH I work in EC2 ... I could probably pop by some evening post-work and give it a go if you wanted to try a driveswap (and I've upgraded mine to a pair of 160gb drives :D)
That would be very helpful!

Do you work near Liverpool Street or Bank type area?

I just don't want to waste money on a new hard drive (what if my TiVo problem doesn't go away!!! then I have a broken TiVo and a hard drive !!!!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thechachman said:
I work right at Throgmorton St & Old Broad St by the old London Stock Exchange, and (throwing my 2p worth in) it sounds like the drive is the prob to me.

I will not request any payment from yourself to resolve this and if offered would direct you to make a donation to the "7/7 fund" instead ...

But - have you tried the kickstart/53 to force a cleanup yet? If not do so, good chance this will resolve the problem on its own

Let me find the drive I pulled when I did the upgrade (should be in a drawer someplace) and we'll schedule something
Hi, i forgot to mention
pausing live tv still works (for 30 mins) - so could there really be a hard drive problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.