TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had a mini fail after 3 years of use. Called support and opted for an advanced exchange repaired unit. When doing guided setup on the new mini it connected to the internet downloaded the info and loaded it successfully. After selecting a name for it, it failed to find my dvr. Called support and thy had me do all the troubleshooting steps and they finally said to let it sit for a few days and try again. Waited 4 days and still had the same error. Called back and they opted to send another mini; that arrived and I had the same problem. Called support again, more trouble shooting which included them saying my COX cable splitters were causing a problem so I replaced them and still had the same issue. Then support said they would send a third replacement mini. That arrived and I still had the can’t find dvr problem. Called again and got the problem escalated where the csr told me it was a known issue in their software that started around November 1st (when my problem started) and the number of effected units is growing. This csr finally said they have software engineers working on it and I have to wait a week or two to have them to fix it. They will not contact me and I just have to keep trying. Apparently it has something to do with transferring my lifetime service to the replacement unit.

I am not real pleased with this and am curious if anyone else is having the problem.

My setup is; Romeo Plus, 3 Mini’s, moca with the Romeo connecting to the internet with cat-5 network cable. All units have always worked great and the two mini’s that still work work in all locations The new mini will not work in any location whether using moca or network connections. I have forced the Romeo Plus to connect to the TiVo service more time than I can count before going through guided setup On the mini again.

Thanks for any input.
Roy

· Registered
1 Posts
Roy! It's like reading my exact words!! Same exact issue, same calls, same exchange, literally we are tivo mini twins. I have called and talked to tech prob 10 times in the past month, done ALL the trouble shooting over and over, did the 24 hour waiting period and getting the same message. Finally talked to a supervisor yesterday and he gave me the same speech. Basically he said it was being "elevated" as well, other people are having similar issues and just to wait patiently until I hear back from from Tivo with info. I asked how long... a day? A week? A month? He just said he didn't know. I'm VERY frustrated. I've emailed TIVO customer service 4 times, just to complain and I've never received a call or email back.

I'm trying to stick with it, I do love my TIVO when it's working,but this is nuts. I am a little happy knowing it's not just me and it's not my wiring, but a problem with the mini. I've already spent $150 having Best Buy come out to my place..... money wasted.

Hopefully we'll have a resolution soon!
Robyn

· Registered
198 Posts
You know what is sad, TiVo does not care about issues we are having. I bet Arris and Cable/Telco TiVo products have flawless firmware. Yet we are dumped on (rephrased). I ordered two new mini vox, maybe someone will post when it is safe to set them up. My V2 Minis have never been the same since the horrible upgrade process to Hydra. TiVo is outright refusing to fix problems with their equipment. It is time to call them out on it everywhere.

· Registered
198 Posts
Well it was not too smooth getting the new Mini Vox's setup. The worst was the non responsive remote issue right after first update/boot. Anybody without knowledge and that superior tech support TiVo is known for...I could guarantee the devices would be going back to the retailer.

Seriously if you really believe somebody here stating that the issues did not appear in testing, then something is wrong with your common sense. I was able to get them paired after reading the dribble here and there in the community forum. Thank God we have one another since we cannot rely on TiVo support one iota. Kudos to everyone for what you contribute.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They fixed it! I forced the connection on my Romeo DVR this morning and then did the guided setup on my Mini. Much to my surprise it found my DVR and everything works again.

I hope it works for everyone else with this problem as well.
Roy

· Registered
15 Posts
Well, today this problem still exists. Same issue. Had mini failure, did Tivo exchange, 1st exchange=mini DOA. 2nd exchange=mini cannot find DVR after running setup. Did all the multiple troubleshooting with support. Just got worse. Now I get either "download interrupted" or "service not found" after the mini connects to Tivo server. Same deal with support, "just wait". No idea how long. Would buying a new VOX mini fix this? I have three other minis that work fine.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello, Cal and all. I wish I could offer something positive but I have the same complaint as so many others: The Mini Cannot Find DVR after running the setup. Mine is a TCDA95000 that I just purchased in December along with a new Bolt Vox. I have tried every permutation of connections: Ethernet, WiFi, and MoCA, I have done multiple updates on the Bolt, and I even created a "sterile" test network using a spare router to which I connected both Bolt and Mini via hard-wired Ethernet with nothing at all else connected to the LAN ports and WiFi completely disabled. I've used static IPs and DHCP dynamically issued IPs. Two different routers by two different manufacturers.

In all cases I get exactly the same result. I go through the setup on the Mini and get to the dreaded "Can't find DVR" page. ****e! Obviously, if both Bolt and Mini can connect to the Tivo servers when I force a connection, the router(s) and the Internet connections are working, and there is good, two-way communication with Tivo. So what the hell is the problem?

I don't think this is necessarily a problem with the Mini itself, but some aspect of the software is preventing handshaking between Mini and main Bolt. It is interesting to note that I have the same result when using the Android app -- it can't find the Bolt even when I am connected via Wi-Fi to the local router, the same one to which the Bolt is connected.

My overall assessment at this point is that the damn Mini has great potential, but until the software is workable, it's an expensive brick. Why haven't I called Tivo support? Simply stated, it is hard enough keeping my blood pressure under control without being asked if I plugged everything in. The travails reported previously in this thread are not at all encouraging. I have better things to do than talk with some script reader. Maybe some day, after I borrow some weed from my step-son...

· Ed Ludwig
382 Posts
I wish I had seen this thread before I laid out over $600 for a Roamio OTA and Mini that can't see each other. There should be a website called tivosucks.com warning everyone about this.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.