Seasoned gas passer
12,971 Posts
nKhona said:
...Also once again George lands in bed with 2 women! :cool:
"Does anybody wanna have sex?"

·
Registered
968 Posts
I loved the last line by George I have been waiting for that line for a while since this was not the first time all 3 slept in the same bed.

Izzy's secret floored me big time I still hate alex. George is by far my favorite character on the show he is the glue that holds it together.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,218 Posts
So if they have mandatory overtime for nurses, they've gotta be paying for it at higher than straight-time rates; thus it really should be cheaper for them to hire new nurses to spread the work around more since they'd then only have to pay them straight-time rates as long as they don't make them work overtime too.

Right?

·
Registered
128 Posts
dswallow said:
So if they have mandatory overtime for nurses, they've gotta be paying for it at higher than straight-time rates; thus it really should be cheaper for them to hire new nurses to spread the work around more since they'd then only have to pay them straight-time rates as long as they don't make them work overtime too.

Right?
Only problem with that is that they also have to pay for all of the benefits for more people. This cost is probably > the cost of 1.5x (or whatever) pay for overtime.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,218 Posts
dsmoot said:
Only problem with that is that they also have to pay for all of the benefits for more people. This cost is probably > the cost of 1.5x (or whatever) pay for overtime.
They said they needed to come up with $2 million a year for 40 nurses. $50,000 per nurse.

If they need 40 nurses working 8 hours a day for 250 days a year then they've been paying overtime for that same work now... so that'd be $3 million a year for the work of those 40 nurses. And they are paying the employer portion of social security taxes on the overtime portion, which would be saved if they didn't have to pay overtime.

Wal-Mart manages to keep health care costs below 8% of payroll. I'd think a hospital could manage to keep such costs below 50% of payroll.

Hire 40 nurses, save almost $1 million. That's half the price of that robotic surgery thing they want, which they could still buy since they didn't have to dip into money being set aside for it. And after having had the 40 extra nurses for 2 years, they can buy a second machine with the savings. :)

·
Tivoless
1,814 Posts
Clarification question on the previews for next week:

What is a Code Black? Google says that for some hospitals it indicates they are full and cannot take any other non-trauma patients. Other hospitals seem to use that as an indication of a bomb threat. I'm guessing bomb threat, based on everyone's reaction in the previews.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,218 Posts
dtivouser said:
Clarification question on the previews for next week:

What is a Code Black? Google says that for some hospitals it indicates they are full and cannot take any other non-trauma patients. Other hospitals seem to use that as an indication of a bomb threat. I'm guessing bomb threat, based on everyone's reaction in the previews.
There's a lot of speculation online; the jist of it all is that there is no standard for a "code black" and it'll be whatever the writers need it to be.

·
9,250 Posts
dswallow said:
Wal-Mart manages to keep health care costs below 8% of payroll. I'd think a hospital could manage to keep such costs below 50% of payroll.
Wal-Mart does it by keeping people under the minimum number of hours to qualify for health care.

I don't think that will fly in a hospital or any other place with employees who have actual job skills.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,218 Posts
MarkofT said:
Wal-Mart does it by keeping people under the minimum number of hours to qualify for health care.

I don't think that will fly in a hospital or any other place with employees who have actual job skills.
Even if that were the reason, it's the 8% level many other companies meet in Maryland, so it can't be that far from a norm. I doubt any company pays anything near 50% of payroll for health care... which is the level it'd need to be at to make it more costly to hire more nurses rather than paying existing nurses overtime.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yeah, George is the man. And even with no sex, I'm sure he'll have pleasant dreams.

The other thing I got a kick out of was the women who came to stay with their friend who was dying. I recognized June Lockhart (Lost in Space) immediately, Betty Garrett (Lavernne and Shirley) a few mins later. I had to look up Rae Allen (Sopranos).

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
George is absolutely, positively, my favorite character on the show.

[cheer]
O'Malley!
[/cheer]

Jan

·
Registered
968 Posts
dswallow said:
They said they needed to come up with $2 million a year for 40 nurses. $50,000 per nurse.

If they need 40 nurses working 8 hours a day for 250 days a year then they've been paying overtime for that same work now... so that'd be $3 million a year for the work of those 40 nurses. And they are paying the employer portion of social security taxes on the overtime portion, which would be saved if they didn't have to pay overtime.

Hire 40 nurses, save almost $1 million. That's half the price of that robotic surgery thing they want, which they could still buy since they didn't have to dip into money being set aside for it. And after having had the 40 extra nurses for 2 years, they can buy a second machine with the savings. :)
It is not just health care it is 401k pensions pay roll tax unemployment insurance ect hospitals offer a ****load of benifits including cheap health insurance. It is cheaper to pay over time than it is to pay for a new employee.

·
The Dude abides
7,296 Posts
Alex better watch out. One wish from Izzy in front of the new resident and he could be a worm!

I really liked her character though. She was great.

This was a good ep. I was also shocked at Izzy's revelation.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
crowfan said:
Alex better watch out. One wish from Izzy in front of the new resident and he could be a worm!

I really liked her character though. She was great.

This was a good ep. I was also shocked at Izzy's revelation.
Thank You! Now I recognize her. (Guess I need to go back and watch more Buffy to regain my Buffy Fanatic Status. Gee, what a punishment. :D )

1 - 20 of 54 Posts