TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
15,088 Posts
I was a little surprised that Hermine was eliminated. After the showstopper, it became a little more of a tossup, I guess, but Laura's showstopper looked like a disaster, and that seems like an important factor during patisserie week. But I suppose taste is always king! On the other hand, looking over the whole season, I think Laura is the lesser baker.
They did talk about it in their pre-elimination summary that they all expected her to walk away with it this week and how this was a really bad week for her to be off, but if you just judged this week for elimination then she was a valid choice to go home.

Reactions: photoshopgrl

·
Librocubicularist
24,939 Posts
I think Hermine had texture issues, too much gelatin in the praline one, where it seemed like Laura's was basically fine other than the mirror glaze not setting. Which made the whole thing look terrible, but the inside parts were all looking good.

·
Premium Member
18,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I was a little surprised that Hermine was eliminated. After the showstopper, it became a little more of a tossup, I guess, but Laura's showstopper looked like a disaster, and that seems like an important factor during patisserie week. But I suppose taste is always king! On the other hand, looking over the whole season, I think Laura is the lesser baker.
I completely agree. Laura is definitely the lesser baker compared to Hermine. However, Hermine was kind of winging it with her show stopper and I think that bit her in the butt. Making something that was rubber and looked like literal poo (that color was awful) didn't beat the look of Laura's that just looked like melted chocolate (and could be put down to the heat of the tent, not a screwed up recipe). While Hermine's had square edges, it wasn't edible. They are always flavor over substance. Making something that is Paul's favorite (black forest) I'm sure helped.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I completely agree. Laura is definitely the lesser baker compared to Hermine. However, Hermine was kind of winging it with her show stopper and I think that bit her in the butt. Making something that was rubber and looked like literal poo (that color was awful) didn't beat the look of Laura's that just looked like melted chocolate (and could be put down to the heat of the tent, not a screwed up recipe). While Hermine's had square edges, it wasn't edible. They are always flavor over substance. Making something that is Paul's favorite (black forest) I'm sure helped.
The thing with this show is that each week stands on its own and she just blew it. It's not a cumulative type of evaluation so you can be the star for several weeks and then get booted for a bad week. But they know this.

I think this is Peter's to lose. Dave (is that the other guy's name?) is good, too, but I think Peter is more consistent. Laura definitely can bake but doesn't have the finesse that the other 2 have and that's going to be needed in the finals.

There's a new holiday edition starting Dec 4....just sayin'! It's kitschy but any GBBO is better than none.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
The thing with this show is that each week stands on its own and she just blew it. It's not a cumulative type of evaluation so you can be the star for several weeks and then get booted for a bad week. But they know this.
Haven't the judges looked back from time to time to settle a tie? Anyway, I think you're generally correct, and clearly this week, the judges didn't have a tie to deal with.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Looking at the Facebook page for The Great American Baking Show, they did make a casting call back in February, so they were at least planning to be back. But they haven't posted anything since April and the last post that really had anything to do with the show was February 24th.

·
Premium Member
18,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Watched the final. I cried at the end.

Laura had issues on day 1. She wasn’t going to win but her stuff tasted good.

Peter and David were neck and neck. Each one did better than the other on the signature and technical bakes. Knew it was going to come down to the final.

So, final bakes - Laura’s tasted great. It didn’t look fancy but aside from that, each individual component was good. They didn’t have any real criticism of her baking. I think she came far in terms of skill but gets behind the curve when there is something that is of higher difficulty. I think she just hasn’t had enough experience playing with those items and can’t necessarily work through what needs to be done to fix them when they go awry.

Peter’s tower looked better than David’s. I thought they only had criticism of one of Peter’s final items not two.

David’s tower had a great looking cake (it was starting to squish down on one side after a bit, supporting all that weight). Trying to fix previous problems is admirable but maybe not the best decision.

I’m glad that Peter won. He has such experience for such a young guy. Then he has to go back to school and not tell his roommates until the show airs.

Other thoughts - Noel was a bit raunchier this season than previous. He made a comment about a Prue key party. That’s going to make some Brits unhappy since the show airs in family hours. I did enjoy Matt’s sweetness toward everyone. Noel is a bit edgier so it isn’t surprising that he pushes the envelope on his commentary. I wonder what stuff that they edited out. He always tried to prop everyone up when they stumbled. He was very supportive. I just wanted him to get rid of Mr Spoon.

·
Premium Member
18,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It's on Netflix, The Great British Baking Show: Holidays. This will be season 3 on 12/4.

There's been an American one too lately on broadcast TV with Baby Spice and a football guy as the hosts, not sure if that one will be on this year though.
Have you seen the trailer for the holiday episode? It has the cast from The Derry Girls. I almost fangirl squeed.

·
Librocubicularist
24,939 Posts
Have you seen the trailer for the holiday episode? It has the cast from The Derry Girls. I almost fangirl squeed.
There's more than one episode... I watched the first one last night which had 4 former contestants, 2 from 2017 and 2 from 2018 (I don't remember who was from what year but it was Briony, Yan, Terry, and... umm... I forgot what his name was, architect who made a terrible caramel cake his season and got booted. Michael maybe?)

I have no idea who the Derry Girls are, so I didn't watch the second one yet. :)

·
Premium Member
18,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The Derry Girls is a very funny show set during “The Troubles” in Northern Ireland. It’s great. The actors are actually pretty funny in the tent. The woman who plays the head nun is there with the younger actors. Most of them have never baked and the results are really quite bad. :)

The show is worth a watch - especially the first season, if you’ve never seen Derry Girls.

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
Matt can be really raunchy. I used to watch Little Britain with him and David Walliams (who writes amazing kids books). Little Britain could get really raunchy and edgy at times. Matt's also been on Dr. Who. As much as I loved him in Little Britain, I'm not sure GBBS is the right venue for that type of humour. I wish Sandi hadn't decided to leave. I really liked her.

Glad Peter won. He was the most consistent throughout the whole season.

·
Librocubicularist
24,939 Posts
Matt can be really raunchy. I used to watch Little Britain with him and David Walliams (who writes amazing kids books). Little Britain could get really raunchy and edgy at times. Matt's also been on Dr. Who. As much as I loved him in Little Britain, I'm not sure GBBS is the right venue for that type of humour. I wish Sandi hadn't decided to leave. I really liked her.

I liked Sandi, but I also like Matt. I love it when they make innuendos and dirty jokes!

·
Premium Member
18,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

Noel was the one that seemed raunchy, not Matt. I liked him a lot on Doctor Who.

I wonder if Sandi decided to leave because of the work required by GBBS/O and Qi on top of other engagements. I also wonder if it is because she put on some pounds eating the fare that was cooked. If you go back a few seasons on Qi, she was smaller before GBBS/O.

·
Premium Member
18,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Everything I have read was just that she was too busy and something had to go.

Sandi Toksvig says Great British Bake Off exit was 'necessary'
I saw a sort of 'interview' with Sandi. Her British accent is completely fake. She pops into other accents rather easily. While she is Danish, she spent her formative years in the US as her dad was a foreign correspondent, and had an American accent. At 16 (IIRC), she moved to Britain and was placed in a boarding school. Kids treated her poorly due to her American accent, so she faked one by watching an old British movie on television.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've really tried to get use to the new hosts but they just aren't doing it for me an have dimmed the charm the show once had. Noel is just strange an over uses the sexual innuendos and, to be honest, creeps on the male contestants and Paul. I think the bald guy would be fine with different host that was more of a straight man (in a comedy duo sense).

41 - 60 of 64 Posts