TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, fans of GBBO on Netflix might not have noticed that a new episode popped up last Friday. Last season and this one, the makers of the show are releasing each episode individually to Netflix, rather than making fans wait until the entire season/series is done before getting an opportunity to watch.

It's nice because you can't get spoiled over information, but you have to wait every week like a regular OTA show.

That being said - on to the seasonal discussion

Putting the entire series into a bubble, rather than the weekly coming and going is interesting. The foundation of the show usually allows competitors to practice the week before. Instead they are staying together for a shorter period of time in order to minimize risk of Covid. They are there for 7 weeks, which makes me think that they do get a couple of days practice prior to the next "weekend" of competition. It's typically 10 episodes, which would make me think that they would quarantine for 5 weeks while allowing cleanup, staging, and rest periods. Instead, they are quarantining for 7 weeks, which gives a couple of days practice for each episode.

Who can leave their jobs for 7 weeks so that they can film a tv show? Is it big enough in Britain that no one would really argue? Or did they choose people specifically who could leave their jobs for 7 weeks. There is always at least one young person, who is usually a college student, so I would hope that he would still be able to do his schoolwork online, but maybe it was filmed in the summer break (or he took the term off).

That being said, I haven't learned their names yet and probably won't until further into the season, as repetition is required for me to learn them. I did like the fact that the young guy really killed it. He's such a cutie.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes I wonder if they throw darts at the wall trying to come up with the descriptions for these people. "Lottie (or however her name is spelled) produces pantomime sketches, and in her spare time listens to Viking metal while doing Yoga." I love it.
That was awesome. As was the dude who was walking his dog (one of the Marks?) along with his wife and the dog suddenly darts to the side, yanking the dude off screen. I just lost it. I love that they kept it in.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely agree. US shows seem to think that drama must be created through conflict with each other, rather than conflict over the topic. Top Chef has conflict with contestants, but there are plenty of times where they help each other out. I like those seasons better. Some people found them boring. The respect that the bakers give each other in GBBO is what makes me enjoy watching it time after time.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so happy this show is back! That being said, I'm not a fan of the sculptural-type challenges. I like it better when the task is more focused on baking skills.
I agree. Sculpture type stuff like this is problematic when it's not something you do often. However, they really didn't judge them for perfection on it. They just wanted to see if it evoked who they were. Peter was smart in choosing a head that didn't really have a face or hair (the Sir Chris Olympic dude).

I think Bob Marley would have worked had she gotten more of the face.

In reality, the task is to see if you can support multi-tiered cake without it falling apart and falling over. None of them used rice crispies in order to lighten the load, so I'm guessing they weren't allowed. Same goes with supports between some of the layers. I think that was the real challenge. They were allowed some supports, but not a lot.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So week 2 - I pulled out names, but will still give some descriptions to try to remind who is who.

My thoughts so far - Matt Lucas is growing on me. Aside from the intro last week, his schtick felt a bit forced. He was funnier this week. It seems like the technical bakes are easier this season than last - at least, so far. I love the mix of accents. And I think I have a crush on Peter.

Mak (serious dark hair and silver beard with a very short forehead) goes home. Not a surprise, really. He didn't follow the brief on what was required. You were supposed to mold your biscuits and he just built them out of squares. Rowan bothers me. His vests are cute, but he is way overboard on what he plans, and it never looks good.

I still love Peter (youngest in the tent and who got star baker last week). He's going to be a force to reckon with in the tent. He seems quite skilled in comparison to many others.

Noel was teasing Sura quite hard over her mistake of knocking over Dave's pineapple upside down cakes last week. She took it well and kept laughing, which is good.

I've seen some online chatter thinking that Matt and Noel were being too mean in their teasing. It seemed pretty mild to me. Maybe it's the difference between American and British sensibilities. It admonished Matt Lucas for saying they had 5 minutes left when they had 15. The writer of the article seemed to think that was cruel. However, the writer has no idea if they were telling them beforehand that it was going to be an incorrect time call. Besides that, I'm sure time calls are filmed multiple times here and there to get the funniest take.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally would have sent Rowan home over Mak, but neither of them would be long for this anyways, I'd be shocked if Rowan doesn't go home next barring a miracle.

They've played around with the time announcements in the past I'm pretty sure, so it's not really out of character for the show at all.

I also just don't get this british concept that seems to think all cookies must be crispy. Ok, yeah, the technical challenge did specify having a snap, so fine there, but otherwise, personally, I tend to prefer software cookies over crispy cookies.
I agree. However, I'm guessing that the difference is that Rowan at least tried to mold his biscuit, whereas Mak didn't. I'm sure Rowan will be going home soon as well.

I'm a fan of soft cookies over crispy ones as well. I think the difference is that they only look at biscuits as the crispy ones. They do have cookies that are softer and are fine with those. But a biscuit means something very specific to them, rather than a general "cookie" does for us.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Rowan went out like expected this week. Putting so much polenta/cornmeal into a soda bread to make it feel gritty is just too much. He had such grandiose ideas, but they were, for the most part, bad. He's all about being artistic than flavor. They never value style over substance.

I was glad Hermine got a handshake for her salmon and cheese bread. I was surprised. I wanted her to have chive butter to go with it. Everyone just seemed to make, for the most part, plain butter (not everyone). Paul wanted something unique and she gave it to him.

I think Peter's reliance on gluten free stuff is going to bite him sooner or later. He keeps ending up in the middle of the pack because of it. I'd hate to see him as a one trick pony. He seems to know a lot about baking and has some great flavor combos.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do like the fact that Paul (and Prue) will participate in the introductions with the hosts. They started it last season (IIRC) and Paul isn't afraid to make fun of himself. I think they were jealous that Noel and Sandi were having all the fun.

Obviously not a lot of us are watching. Sura was eliminated last week. It really isn't a surprise after how she performed this week. I did like her, though. She seemed like a sweet woman. Linda seems to be growing into her own. The way she looked the first week, I didn't expect it to happen.

I found an article on how they are doing the series bubble. They film 2 days on, 2 days off. Everyone had to self-isolate for 9 days and take 3 tests for Covid before they could enter the hotel. The hotel houses all cast and crew alongside 20 hotel staff members, 80 producers, and around 20 children, chaperones, and dog walkers. They also built 12 practice kitchens for the bakers to use on their days off. I guess one for each baker.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am watching. I liked Sura, she had funny interactions with Noel and... umm... the other guy.

I had read that, yeah, that they had built 12 practice kitchens for them and everyone was isolated on the hotel grounds. We saw a small glimpse of it... last week maybe it was? When the guy who had lost his leg was the star baker, his kids showed up in the ending interview.
I saw the kids, too, and figured that he didn't have anyone to watch them so he was allowed to keep them there. 20 kids is certainly interesting. I presume they have daycare for them, which is impressive and probably expensive.

The amount of money they are spending for the bubble must be a lot. The fact that they are willing to spend it implies serious bucks generated for the show.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
These things are not in conflict though.

Just because they don't get a cash prize doesn't mean that they don't get compensated for being on the show.

I'd be surprised if there is ANY show where they can have you appear in episodes as a "cast member" and flat out not pay you at all.
Oh, I didn't think they were in conflict. I figured they got paid. My point is that they had to spend more money this season than in previous years, so they are obviously foregoing some of their profits in order to maintain the bubble.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Linda got sent home. She struggled a lot this episode. She couldn't make eclairs (and they always make eclairs on the show - anyone applying to the show should have that one down). Her 'cage' also did her in.

Speaking of the cages - what weirdness was that? I've seen them do the isomalt thing, which is much stronger, but obviously technically difficult to work with. Doing it with pastry and asking it not to be too thick is a bit much.

Given how Laura has been baking, I was surprised that she got star baker. I expected Peter would get it. The look of his pastry cage was amazing.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So Mark and Lottie made burgers in their steamed japanese buns. Interesting that Paul just told them to leave out the pickles (gherkins - with a Welsh accent). That could affect the overall moisture inside the bun.

I thought the steamed buns were cute. I expected Peter's black sheep to get a comment.

In the end, Mark went home. I figured Laura would, but her kawaii cake looked really cute (upside down pineapple).

While I enjoyed the episode, it stoked a lot of controversy across the pond. Brits felt that Matt Lucas was too smutty ("Pregasm" over a chocolate cake, and stroking dough so that it would rise during proofing), and that Japanese week was racist. The complaints about racism had to do with pandas (they're Chinese), or non-Japanese fillings (hamburgers, chinese style). I just kept thinking Kim Joy would have loved that week.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So Lottie went home for her ice cream cake. With the weather being bad, she needed to figure out how to change things up and didn’t have a plan. Putting cake on the outside made the most sense but I don’t think she had that option since all of their ingredients were already chosen and brought to the tent.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So dessert week.

Cheesecakes sound great. Only one set of them looked good, from a precision standpoint. I’m surprised that they didn’t hit Laura harder on the look of hers. It must have tasted really good.

The technical sounded awful. A whole lemon? Blurgh. No one did well with that one.

Jelly cakes. Doing jelly art is amazing. When done previously, it was freehand with a needle. These needle tips that create a specific flower petal shape is interesting. I was terrified that they were all going to have to free hand.

Peter managed to hang on by the skin of his teeth this episode. His jelly cake tasted good, which helped the fact that his jelly top wasn’t a solid jelly. Good concept but just failed in execution.

I half expected Laura to win this one as her cheesecakes did better than Hermine’s. But Hermine won. Her flower looked great and it must have tasted better than Laura’s. It was a much more finished object but that isn’t too surprising. Laura is always a bit messy.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I like Peter as well.

You can tell that hardly any of them knew what a cornucopia looks like. All American school children know that shape quite well, especially this time of year. Dave’s interpretation was quite funny.

It made me happy that Peter got star baker this week. He really rocked it. He got a handshake and went above and beyond with 3 different cube cakes. Paul made me go “oh no” when he tried Peter’s 3rd cake flavor with his comment that it wasn’t as good as the others. Such a time to pull a prank. I’m glad it was okay.

Poor Hermine. I think she was overthinking things too much this week and put too much pressure on herself because it was patisserie week and she excels at that style of baking. It didn’t surprise me that she was going home over Laura.

Laura struggled with look but her food was good which is always important. While Hermine’s show stopper looked better than Laura’s, the flavor of Laura’s made all the difference.

Dave’s show stopper looked amazing. They reminded me of petit fours. Serious perfection. I was worried about his caramel after his first batch and the batch from the day before just didn’t go well.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I was a little surprised that Hermine was eliminated. After the showstopper, it became a little more of a tossup, I guess, but Laura's showstopper looked like a disaster, and that seems like an important factor during patisserie week. But I suppose taste is always king! On the other hand, looking over the whole season, I think Laura is the lesser baker.
I completely agree. Laura is definitely the lesser baker compared to Hermine. However, Hermine was kind of winging it with her show stopper and I think that bit her in the butt. Making something that was rubber and looked like literal poo (that color was awful) didn't beat the look of Laura's that just looked like melted chocolate (and could be put down to the heat of the tent, not a screwed up recipe). While Hermine's had square edges, it wasn't edible. They are always flavor over substance. Making something that is Paul's favorite (black forest) I'm sure helped.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Watched the final. I cried at the end.

Laura had issues on day 1. She wasn’t going to win but her stuff tasted good.

Peter and David were neck and neck. Each one did better than the other on the signature and technical bakes. Knew it was going to come down to the final.

So, final bakes - Laura’s tasted great. It didn’t look fancy but aside from that, each individual component was good. They didn’t have any real criticism of her baking. I think she came far in terms of skill but gets behind the curve when there is something that is of higher difficulty. I think she just hasn’t had enough experience playing with those items and can’t necessarily work through what needs to be done to fix them when they go awry.

Peter’s tower looked better than David’s. I thought they only had criticism of one of Peter’s final items not two.

David’s tower had a great looking cake (it was starting to squish down on one side after a bit, supporting all that weight). Trying to fix previous problems is admirable but maybe not the best decision.

I’m glad that Peter won. He has such experience for such a young guy. Then he has to go back to school and not tell his roommates until the show airs.

Other thoughts - Noel was a bit raunchier this season than previous. He made a comment about a Prue key party. That’s going to make some Brits unhappy since the show airs in family hours. I did enjoy Matt’s sweetness toward everyone. Noel is a bit edgier so it isn’t surprising that he pushes the envelope on his commentary. I wonder what stuff that they edited out. He always tried to prop everyone up when they stumbled. He was very supportive. I just wanted him to get rid of Mr Spoon.

·
Premium Member
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It's on Netflix, The Great British Baking Show: Holidays. This will be season 3 on 12/4.

There's been an American one too lately on broadcast TV with Baby Spice and a football guy as the hosts, not sure if that one will be on this year though.
Have you seen the trailer for the holiday episode? It has the cast from The Derry Girls. I almost fangirl squeed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts