TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Gray side bar bars when 4:3 Displayed on 16:9 Screen

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  netsurfer 
#1 ·
I have a 16:9 HDTV and when displaying a standard 4:3 program the side bars are a medium gray which seems very distracting to me. Is there a way to change the default color? The TV (when not going through the HD TiVo) will leave the side bars black. Easier on the eyes IMHO.

#6 ·
aus1ander said:
Why would anybody pick gray sidebars over black? Why even make it an option?
Ya, the grey is so distracting to me when I go to others houses and they have them that way.

#7 ·
aus1ander said:
Why would anybody pick gray sidebars over black? Why even make it an option?
Gray is more "friendly" when it comes to preventing burn-in, especially on plasma sets. That's why the instructions (when choosing gray or black) say to refer to your television manufacturer's instructions for selecting the best option.

#10 ·
Are you people saying that some broadcasters override the setting in the Tivo?
It doesn't override the settings, it is broadcast that way. Instead of sending a 4x3 image, they send a 4x3 inside a 16x9 one with the bars on the sides. Your Tivo doesn't know it is really 4x3, it only sees a 16x9 image and just displays it.

Worse is when the broadcast a 4x3 stretched to 16x9 with no bars. Stretch-o-vision. You can't do anything about that either.

#11 ·
It doesn't override the settings, it is broadcast that way. Instead of sending a 4x3 image, they send a 4x3 inside a 16x9 one with the bars on the sides. Your Tivo doesn't know it is really 4x3, it only sees a 16x9 image and just displays it.

Worse is when the broadcast a 4x3 stretched to 16x9 with no bars. Stretch-o-vision. You can't do anything about that either.
I prefer when a broadcaster add something other than simple black bars when broadcasting 4:3 on their 16:9 HD channel. CBS use a blue graphical pillars and ESPN has black and grey with ESPNHD on it. Makes it a little more obvious that you the pillars are in the original broadcast signal.

#13 ·
Ah, so I need to write nasty letters to the Network affiliates or the main Network?

I know, I know, hard question to answer.

Give me my black bars please:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.