TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an offshoot of an earlier thread of mine ( C125 error for 3 weeks -- no end in sight -- cannot connect to Tivo service ) -- for some unknown reason, my Google Wifi will not allow me to connect to the Tivo service (Tivo Premiere XL). Tivo thinks ports 37/123 are closed -- they are not, as I have confirmed with Google Wifi, after using the app to open those ports. After a series (think a month) of multiple (too many to count, or at least to want to count) tries to fix my issues, I had tried going from wireless to ethernet, multiple sequential connections, etc, etc, etc...40 hours in all, I'm sure, including having Spectrum come out and test my modem and router... I replaced the Google Wifi with an old ASUS 68U. It connected immediately. Does anyone have any idea of what in the world might be going on? I am going to try switching one of the "children" points in for the main hub to see if that changes things, but I am at a loss in figuring this out.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Have you tried a 'hard reset' on the Google WiFi device that you're trying to use as the router unit?

Or, tried a different Google WiFi unit in place of it?

Just kinda spitballin' but sometimes a 'hard reset' clears up mysterious behaviour.

Just a couple weeks ago I connected a Roamio with Google WiFi and it worked as expected.

-KP

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I played with a Google Wifi setup for a while and ultimately gave up on them. Just too many unseen nanny features 'managing' my connections with no user control. Between that and the fact that there were no outdoor units, I moved on to Ubiquiti mesh wifi and could not be more pleased. House, garage, yard, metal shop building. All covered in a blanket of continuous wifi with single sign on and seamless handoff from one node to another.

·
Mount Airy, MD
721 Posts
I played with a Google Wifi setup for a while and ultimately gave up on them. Just too many unseen nanny features 'managing' my connections with no user control. Between that and the fact that there were no outdoor units, I moved on to Ubiquiti mesh wifi and could not be more pleased. House, garage, yard, metal shop building. All covered in a blanket of continuous wifi with single sign on and seamless handoff from one node to another.
My son uses a Ubiquiti mesh (AmpliFi) and is happy with its performance. Here at my house we went with a different Ubiquiti product (the AC Pro). Since it's separate from my router, I was able to locate it centrally on my first floor. WiFi coverage has been excellent...even on the basement level below. Highly recommended.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I replaced the Google Wifi with an old ASUS 68U. It connected immediately. Does anyone have any idea of what in the world might be going on? I am going to try switching one of the "children" points in for the main hub to see if that changes things, but I am at a loss in figuring this out.
Something old: check the MTU on the Google vs the ASUS. We are shooting in the dark after all.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Google WiFi and Eero don't have POE, so that's a deal-killer for me.

Ubiquiti has about 12 different models that fit just about anywhere. I like the Wall-Plate mount units. If you've never configured them, you might (initially) hate that they don't have their own GUI and you use a Central Managment Program to set them up. But, once you figure that out, they end up pretty much setting up the same as other hardware.

-KP

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My son uses a Ubiquiti mesh (AmpliFi) and is happy with its performance. Here at my house we went with a different Ubiquiti product (the AC Pro). Since it's separate from my router, I was able to locate it centrally on my first floor. WiFi coverage has been excellent...even on the basement level below. Highly recommended.
We installed 4 of the AC Pro Mesh units linked together. My router is supplied by Comcast Business so did not what a combined AP and router. The system has been amazingly stable and FAST. The central config program took a bit of learning but was not bad and set everything up, including software updates just fine. Has been mostly trouble free once up and running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.